Official New Balance Thread *sizing info for different models on first page*

Got my 2nd pair of NB1s from the Black Friday promotion in hand ...

(Took a while cause I'm not in the States)

Quality seems to be even better than the first ... Just incredible.

The lighting is poor so I'll take more shots later, but the top joints are the new ones I got,

the bottom black ones are from a while back inspired by Solefly's 'Night Haven' Gel-Lyte IIIs.

The olive joint's N logo is actually purple with 'Aqua' ?! blue 3M outer material.

Which one y'all feel it more ?!

Got my 2nd pair of NB1s from the Black Friday promotion in hand ...

(Took a while cause I'm not in the States)

Quality seems to be even better than the first ... Just incredible.

The lighting is poor so I'll take more shots later, but the top joints are the new ones I got,
the bottom black ones are from a while back inspired by Solefly's 'Night Haven' Gel-Lyte IIIs.

The olive joint's N logo is actually purple with 'Aqua' ?! blue 3M outer material.

Which one y'all feel it more ?!
that bottom pair is dope. i like it a lot. what was the black friday deal? i missed out on that.

that bottom pair is dope. i like it a lot. what was the black friday deal? i missed out on that.
Thanks man. I added the rope 3M laces and still haven't unDS-ed.

I think it was 15 or 20% off on My NB1s and certain models on site, plus free shipping.

So normally, this 998 custom would've costed me almost $200, but got myself down to $150 or 160 something.

It was sweet.

Today's wear

Outlet pickups. It was tough to not get more. They were doing buy one get one 50% off and they had GY2s (but those were $180) 997DOLs, a couple other 998s and a ton of 1400s. Settled on these 2 for today. Might go back next weekend. :tongue:

anyone know if the 990's fit/run same sizing as 998's? i have few pairs of 998's but this will be first purchase outside of that silo just wanted to check in see if someone can confirm. any help is appreciated.

I find the 990s to run a half size smaller actually. All my 997s and 998s are 9.5, my 990s are a 10. They fit pretty good but the toe pinches down on the tips of my toes so I'm about to get rid of them. They feel like they'd be too big if I went a half size up tho if that makes any sense.

Basically I'm saying at least a half size up from 998s.

I find the 990s to run a half size smaller actually. All my 997s and 998s are 9.5, my 990s are a 10. They fit pretty good but the toe pinches down on the tips of my toes so I'm about to get rid of them. They feel like they'd be too big if I went a half size up tho if that makes any sense.

thx for reply, i actually wear 9.5 in 998's as well. i wear 10 in all my nike/jb shoes. did you have to go 10 in 990 b/c of toe piching down or is overall length shorter as well. i just hate having a finger gap between my big toe and front of shoe, love a snug fit. rep'd for the reply

also how comfortable are the 990's in comparison to the 998?

Last edited:
Pana straight came up, that perf box! 
Thanks man. I actually paid $50 for those. Been wanting them for a while.

thx for reply, i actually wear 9.5 in 998's as well. i wear 10 in all my nike/jb shoes. did you have to go 10 in 990 b/c of toe piching down or is overall length shorter as well. i just hate having a finger gap between my big toe and front of shoe, love a snug fit. rep'd for the reply

also how comfortable are the 990's in comparison to the 998?
I needed to go to a 10 in general. My issue with the pair I got was the insole was fine for the first 2 or 3 wears, so at first they seemed super comfortable. But after that they just felt awkward and hard on the sole. I checked and the insole was paper thin and had worn out to literally nothing. Switched them out for another pair of insoles and they felt better though out but then that's why I had the toe pinching. I haven't bought a pair since these and it was like 3.5 years ago so hopefully they've put some better insoles in the shoe by now. Either way I'd say go with half size up from 998. Comfort wise they're not even close. 998s are way more comfortable. They might be the most comfortable NB.

Outlet pickups. It was tough to not get more. They were doing buy one get one 50% off and they had GY2s (but those were $180) 997DOLs, a couple other 998s and a ton of 1400s. Settled on these 2 for today. Might go back next weekend. :tongue:

Those green 998s are super clean. Seen them for regular price at the local Bait. Nice pick-up. Wish I could find a 13

Agree 100% w/everything he said. I'm the exact same size, and have the same .5 size difference between what feels comfortable in 998s and 990s (9.5 in 998, 10 in 990s).

Last edited:
Outlet pickups. It was tough to not get more. They were doing buy one get one 50% off and they had GY2s (but those were $180) 997DOLs, a couple other 998s and a ton of 1400s. Settled on these 2 for today. Might go back next weekend.
tongue.gif

i drove out to brighton this weekend too--first time there. it was pretty mind-blowing. wanted the 990gy, black 1400 and black 998. need to sell some stuff to fund all this madness. coulda dropped a g in there way too easily

The carbon fiber kills it imo
could not be more out of place
Does it seem like the toe wrap on the 998s just gets bigger and bigger?
it definitely is, but to be honest I don't mind it, if the toe would remain sharp. But as we know, they're far from sharp and getting worse... Been pretty soured on the 998 as of late which is a shame because they've always been my favorite NB

cncpts just put up this HQ pic. i think they might be copped. jist not sure how I feel about the red mixinn with that greenish color

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom