Official New Balance Thread *sizing info for different models on first page*

Day 25. NB1 998 "Mistletoes"​

Merry Merry to my NB Fam! :nthat:

Does the Boston 998 run the same as all 998s? I went with a 10 on the Boston 998s and I'm finding that I actually could've gone with a 9,5 and been ok too. So my TTS 10,5 would be completely too big now?
With that being said a 9.5/ 10 premier 998 will work if anyone comes across one. Happy Holidays
man Im telling you, when you first start messing with NB 998's, the sizing makes you feel crazy.  they fit like nothing else out there, but in a good way. It took me many pairs to figure out that I like them smaller than another shoe i own.

anyone try the 990 v2's? or am i better off sticking with regular 990s?
v2's were my first new balance ever. got em when they dropped in '98. the dad shoe nb's are cool for running in cause they're so comfortable. the 999 was sort of the last old school 99x--came out around '95. then the 990v2 started that newer tech dad look that continues today w the 990v4.

990s are dope too tho

Ok. I got question. Are certain 99x shoes consider a stability shoe and others consider a neutral. Or back in the day consider one or other. I know like 990 is. I been eyeing like 998 996 997. I was thinking the 998 might be stability and other two not. I'm a neural shoe wearer and have tried stability on and knew soon as did was a no go. Any help appreciate.

most of the 99x series are stability shoes, you might want to try a 996 or a 997, as they are the most neutral in that series

Ok. I got question. Are certain 99x shoes consider a stability shoe and others consider a neutral. Or back in the day consider one or other. I know like 990 is. I been eyeing like 998 996 997. I was thinking the 998 might be stability and other two not. I'm a neural shoe wearer and have tried stability on and knew soon as did was a no go. Any help appreciate.
I feel you on that. 998 is definitely neutral imo

Are certain 99x shoes consider a stability shoe and others consider a neutral. Or back in the day consider one or other. 
it used to be the lower numbers in the tens digit column were stability, mid-range numbers were neutral and higher were lightweight. don't think those apply to the retro 99x series though. it may be still applicable to the newer performance tech stuff. 

think the 999 has an SL-2 fit while most nb's are SL-1. can't remember what the difference is but 999 do not feel right for my sole

imo 996 feels the most like a slipper--like you're not wearing anything. 998 has the most support. 997 is in the middle

Last edited:
Guys my girl got me a legit camera for xmas :D
First test/practice shot

Anyone know of photography sites I should check out to learn from?

Guys my girl got me a legit camera for xmas
happy.gif

First test/practice shot

Anyone know of photography sites I should check out to learn from?
It depends what you are trying to achieve, most pictures with a blurr out of focus background are a high (low #) aperture. Most kit lens I think only go to f3.5 which is sometimes enough, but not in all scenarios from what I've found (I'm a beginner too). I think this was my first try with my NEX 6 Camera. http://i.imgur.com/isNFjMH.jpg

Last edited:
embarassed.gif

^pretty much haha
nerd.gif
First of all, congrats on the amazing gift!

I didn't really learn much from websites, i feel you learn most from just practicing and being hands-on.

You just need to know the basics on the f-stop, shutter speed, ISO, and just get out there and have fun.

But here's some tips for sneaker photography:
  • Low f-stop. I usually shoot in aperture mode (that big A on the dial) and use an f-stop of f2.8-3.2 to create a shallow enough depth of field so that your shoes are in focus but the rest of the photo isn't.
  • LIGHT. The quality and amount of light is paramount in a photo. Try not to shoot under direct sunlight (noon or early afternoon) unless you can find a shaded area, or if it's too gloomy and the light's kinda dead and dull. Conversely, the light as the sun sets (golden hour) is really soft and nice.
  • Glass is key. The lens you put in your camera is super important, but as a start you can't go wrong with the nifty fifty (50mm f1.8)
  • Use a tripod. gorillapods are pretty useful but i am cheap so i use a knockoff which works fine too.
  • Use a remote. If your camera has wifi, download the app and you can shoot without being next to the camera. If not a camera remote would work as well.
  • Shoot RAW. Just my personal preference, you just get loads more information stored in the photo so that you can have more power to edit it in post.
  • Lightroom/Photoshop. Honestly most of my photos look kinda bland straight from the camera, but once I process them in Lightroom they really look a lot better. Lightroom is super easy to use, sliders everywhere so you just drag them till you're happy.
I'm obviously not an expert in this area, and I am sure there are others here that know more than i do, but anything else you need, any questions you might have, you just let me know and i'll do my best. Looking forward to more photos man!

Back
Top Bottom