Official New Balance Thread *sizing info for different models on first page*

New Balance using military discount. Gotta have an active military email. Pretty good when there's a site discount and free shipping. Sucks they charge FL taxes. Obviously, they don't get releases as quickly and no limited/collabos.

How do you register for that?

How do you register for that?
I'm on vacay right now but there's an email you're supposed to send discount inquires too. If you contact customer service, they can point you in the right direction. I called customer service to take advantage of it when the YOTS pack and 990 Anni released in January on their site. There's two military POCs. They'll send you a link to activate your account which will be associated to your military email.

Last edited:
I ordered tassie devils from shelf life but haven't received shipping confirmation yet. Anyone here who has? Thanks!

I ordered tassie devils from shelf life but haven't received shipping confirmation yet. Anyone here who has? Thanks!

Haven't gotten anything either but the charge has posted to my cc...the final one not just the auth. I contacted them Saturday and they said shoes would go out Tuesday.

To the dude who referred to me as a GR elitist, I quiet like that. Beats being a Fieg fan boy any day. LOL.

In all seriousness I said in my post that if you were copping the Tazzies cause you genuinely like them good luck to you. You need to ask yourself if these did not have x sneaker freaker printed in them and a quirky marketing back story and were not limited would you still want to buy them? If the answer is yes then full respect to you as others said buy what you like I fully agree with that. It's the collab / limited sheep I have an issue with just buying it because its a collab. There's a post in here with someone saying they bought the fingers and they don't even like them!

Honestly I have some collabs, some limited and some general releases in my collection as I buy what I like the look of. But in the main i prefer GR because:

1. They are mostly better vfm as they tend to be cheaper in the first place and you can often find promo codes for the kind of stores that stock them
2. The purchase process is so much more pleasant. For me part of the joy of shopping for kicks is to wander around some stores on a Saturday afternoon, browse a few styles, try on a few colour ways and have a coffee whilst I think about it before copping whilst chatting to the assistant about a shared passion. Compare this to the madness of trying to cop any collab; sleepless nights for midnight and beyond refreshing check. Camp outs check. Dodgy looking polish websites check. Ridiculous resale prices check.
3. Wearability - maybe its only me but when I do manage to cop a limited or collab release because I like them I'm so scared to wear the bloody things that they sit in a box for months. Whereas a GR goes straight on feet and enjoys repeated rotation giving me many hours of happy sneaker wearing safe in the knowledge that it was easy and reasonably cheap to cop and therefore probably reasonably easy to replace should they get too beat.
4. Back in the eighties when I first started my passion for shoes pretty much everything was a GR. it's only the retroing that has resulted in this limited culture.

This gets to me that it has come to NB because for me NB stands for everything that is not this kind of game. NB is the gentleman of the sneaker world. We don't need this Foam style behaviour muscling in on this brand.

So I'm happy with my GR elitist tag. Where that king of colabs has his arrogant strap line "just us" I prefer "all of us".

Beautifully said!!!! :smokin :smokin :smokin

Just came in. Suede is perfect .

Great pics of those NiceKicks GTFan.

I'm in Charlotte for a convention for a few days. Plan on checking out Social Status to see if they have anything. Anybody in here from Charlotte or have any spots I should check out? If I come across anything good, I'll let you all know.

@gtfan712 those look sick (as all your pics do).  I'd love to see how the 999 elite red laces look with those.

Unfortunately I joined the NB game too late to cop those for retail.  Now my only choice is to pay $300+ on ebay 
mean.gif

Last edited:
Disappointed to hear that it was in-store only but to anyone who's been wanting a pair of mojitos and can make it to the progress flagship store in the philippines:
http://clavelmagazine.com/2013/04/01/new-balance-574-oshman-x-mita-mojito-progress-release/

I just made an account about a week ago just for this thread and I just wanted to introduce myself as this seems like a pretty supportive community. I began getting into new balance very recently and I'm trying to grow my only pair, being the seals, into a collection lol. Anyways I'm still on the lookout for a pair of mojitos in a 9-9.5 for a decent price so any help would be appreciated :smile:

Damn, I need a sz 9.5!!!!!

I still like the colorway, and they are comfortable- so im just gonna beat the hell out of em and chalk it up to a lesson I should've already learned.

making me hesitate to pull the trigger on the exact same pair now...already got the red one, but haven't got the chance to wear it yet.

New Balance using military discount. Gotta have an active military email. Pretty good when there's a site discount and free shipping. Sucks they charge FL taxes. Obviously, they don't get releases as quickly and no limited/collabos.
Is the Military discount is 10 or 20 %?

Re the 999 elites for those of  you still considering. I have both blue and red and they are both spotless, and have worn both and no issues. I think it's like with all the mass produced stuff and most Nikes I buy, some are perfect and some have flaws. We have come to expect better from NB of course bit I don't think there is some huge quality issue with this model as mine are perfect. There are on Eastbay so pretty easy to return if you get a flawed pair.

Anyone else spot the beautiful little nugget of info buried in the Crooked Tongues writeup on the 998RR?

That red hidden in the heel and inside the tongue, blue 'N' and reflective applications are powerful details. Crazes are doomed to burn out and dudes with beards and hand tattoos who are co-signing sports footwear again, plus the strange people that ask us "Will those be an inshore release only?" will come and go (they'll be back in brogues or wearing some weird high end Chelsea boots by 2014), but the M998 will always be one of the best shoes there is. Develop some tunnel vision and grab a few iterations of this shoe this year and go grab the US-made M997 when they drop next year (we can't wait for that reintroduction) and we guarantee that you won't get buyer's remorse. Not even the quaint tongue stitching and sockliner design can put us off. These are Maine-made masterpieces for those that know. It doesn't get much better than these and they're in the Crooked Tongues store right now. If the price tag has you breathing into a paper bag, just buy these and forget everything else for the next few months.

If this is accurate and (big if) they have the original sole unit then this is the best news I've heard in a while. Who knows, if they're made in the US maybe they could even be the next customizable model?

Original article:

http://www.crookedtongues.com/news/2013/Mar/19/new-balance-m998rr-made-in-maine/

Yeah I understand why some of the people on here are hating on the 999 elites, but you do have to remember that these were super mass produced in china. It's just the unfortunate fact that when something is made in such large numbers that quality control will suffer a bit for it. These aren't the made in US or England NBs that pass thru much more rigorous inspections. Even so you will still find some flaws with the shoes that come out of the better factories, i have had some made in US pairs that looked like they were straight up dropped in to the dirt and stepped on. I am still personally very happy with both of my pairs, they both came practically flawless and haven't cracked. I think that everyone is just giving these the stink eye because of the fact that they are made in china. But the fact remains that some pairs will have factory flaws, even out of the "much better" factories. It's just the luck of the draw, sometimes you win and some times you don't. In a perfect world NB would never allow a pair with even the slightest flaw to leave the factory floor. But unfortunately they are still a big business and if it means a couple million extra in the bank, of course they will let the minor flaws fly. I have to admit for a made in china shoe the quality is pretty good, just compare it to some nikes material and construction wise and it will win hands down.

If you want a pair I still highly recommend them, make great every day shoes. Just go in to it knowing that there may be some flaws.
Very well put - exactly.

I'm on vacay right now but there's an email you're supposed to send discount inquires too. If you contact customer service, they can point you in the right direction. I called customer service to take advantage of it when the YOTS pack and 990 Anni released in January on their site. There's two military POCs. They'll send you a link to activate your account which will be associated to your military email.
Alright, thanks for the info.

Back
Top Bottom