OFFICIAL NEW YORK KNICKS OFFSEASON THREAD: TRAINING CAMP

ESPN article:

Donnie Walsh's expected arrival at Madison Square Garden might not guarantee Isiah Thomas' exit as New York Knicks coach.

nba_ap_thomas_65.jpg

Thomas

The New York Daily News, citing an unnamed source, reported Thursday that owner James Dolan's preference is to keep Thomas on the sidelines, even afterhe hires a successor to Thomas to run the organization.

"There isn't a basketball executive alive who would keep Isiah as head coach, but Jim is telling whoever he interviews, 'I would prefer to keepIsiah but you do what you have to do,'" the source close to Dolan told the Daily News. "If Isiah isn't the coach, Jim still wants him to stayin the organization in some capacity."

Walsh, who announced this week that he is leaving the Pacers organization at the end of this season, is expected to sign a three-year, $15 million contractwith New York at the end of this season to oversee their basketball operations division, a source told ESPN on Monday.

Earlier this week, Knicks spokesman Jonathan Supranowitz told The Associated Press that the team would not comment on a deal between the Knicks andWalsh.

Walsh's agent, Steve Kaufman, said he would not comment on his client's employment status until after the NBA season.

In New York on Monday, Thomas wouldn't comment on speculation that Walsh could replace him in the front office, but he praised his former boss with thePacers.

"He's had a great career, he's one of the best who's ever done it," Thomas said before the Knicks lost to New Jersey to fall to 19-51on the season. "I wish him great success and he's someone that I respect tremendously. He gave me my first coaching job and I truly do like him as aperson and he's done a lot for the game."

Walsh has been with Indiana since 1984, and he hired Thomas as Pacers coach in 2000. But he's had a lesser role since 2003, when he made Larry Bird theteam president. Bird promptly fired Thomas.

Though Thomas signed a multiyear contract extension last March, questions about his job status surfaced in the first month of the season, when the Knicksgot off to a horrible start soon after a jury found Thomas and MSG had sexually harassed a former team executive.

Dolan hasn't spoken to the media, but there's been no indication he planned to make a change during the season. However, with the Knicks sitting at20-51 in their seventh straight losing season, he may have to do something over the summer.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

Berman told me last night that he could not see Isiah staying with the organization in any way shape or form. However nothing would shock me with Dolan.

Isiah must have some serious dirt on Dolan cause it doesnt make sense to keep him, only thing i can see him doing is a talent scout cause he pretty good atdrafting players

^^i really dont buy that. i mean if isiah really had dirt or anything he would not even let himself get demoted if it was that serious... Im just starting tobe convinced that they're +$!+%!$

Originally Posted by allen3xis

He absolutely can't stay.

Not in any way shape or form.

I told you guys before I had a feeling that he would stay in some sort of role. Berman told me last night that he doesnt see him staying in anyway and howit would be bad for the organization and they have to get rid of him. I agree with that but Dolan loves Isiah and won't just kick him to thecurb.
Seeing that some of the Knicks players have said off the record that they like Carlisle...what do you guys think about him as a coach?

really we need to somehow get people to boycott games and cablevision....or put a hit out on Dolan....the latter is probably easier....lets make some phonecalls

Isiah will be gone, i really have little doubt... but with the Knicks and the curse im starting to believe we have from trading Pat anything can happen.

Anyway if we are smart this summer here is an excerpt from an article on realgm.com on why i think we should get Jacskon as the coach, he almost completelysummarizes my beliefs, and although i dont agree with some things he is dead on with Jackson...
Jackson is not only a fan favorite in New York, but also possesses a great mind for basketball. His 17-year career as a floor general lends display the proper attributes to handle the X's and O's aspect of coaching and commanding respect from his players He is a risky pick given his inexperience, but he could turn into a new Avery Johnson. The rumor mill mentioned names such as Scott Skiles and Rick Carlisle as potential candidates. I don't think a disciplinarian in the mold of Larry Brown is what the Knicks need. Both Skiles and Carlisle have track records of disenfranchising players and staff with their temperamental personalities. The Knicks need someone the players not only respect, but feel will lead them in the right direction. Jackson can be that coach.
I agree. When heand Avery both played i knew that they would both coach. just as i knew that Herb would coach after and i think that Malik Rosewill as well, and possibly Jason kidd...

I knew they were both going to be good coaches because they were both vocal leaders and had great basketball minds. But i have always felt that Mark was thesmarter mind and was an extremely smart PG. i truly believe he will be dynamite with his Xs ond Os, my man really knows the game. But coaching posseses otherqualities along with knowing the game he is a fan favorite and a NY native and has that tough NYC kid attitude that NY loves so much inside of him, if he doeshis job right he will have the whole cit behind him. Most importantly probably is that he is young and he will bring some fire from our young guys when werebuild. Forget about inexperience let him make his rookie mistakes in his first few years so he will be a molded veteran when our time comes. And as a benefitfrom his inexperience he doesnt have that ego issue. That has hurt us in the past and Carsile and especially Skiles know what they want and may be stubbornwith it. Jackson will get into his own style and he will find away with his knowledge and his fire to be a great Knicks coach. I truly think that he is the manfor the job. While i would not mind a Carsile or any coach not named Isiah Thomas i think Jackson should be our man.

btw this is the whole article its a pretty good read, it is a lot better than alot of the other bone headed "rebuild the Knicks" plans that i haveseen lately...

http://knicks.realgm.com/articles/22/20080327/new_day_coming_for_the_knicks/

I've given up..

We're stuck in that 5th lotto spot...

So who knows where we'll be...

My hopes for Rose are slowly going away

Originally Posted by NYK orange and blue

here's a very rare moment in recent knicks history

Their next game will be on My9 on sunday at 4pm

laugh.gif
Oh what the season has come to....tidbits such asthese...sigh.
Allen....hang in there my dude I have a REALLY good feeling about this draft. I think the ping pong balls are going to be favorable towardsus.

Back
Top Bottom