Official NHL 2008 Stanley Cup Finals Thread...Pens vs. Wings

CONGRATS JOE BONANNO AND YOUR DETROIT RED WINGS.... THEY DESERVED IT... UNBELIEVABLE..

now on another note lets go stars for the 08-09 champs lol.

What a game man
pimp.gif

The better team won, props to the Red Wings.
I gained alot of respect for this Pittsburg team though, they never gave up(those last 2 mins.
eek.gif
) That team is going to beast for a long time.

Originally Posted by GingersAintBad

Originally Posted by BallinBoykz

Originally Posted by zs05wc

Man it sucks they couldnt have won it at home. I don't like that the fans are booing, their team got beat show some respect.
Most of them aren't booing. It could be a lot worst. If they didn't win tonight I doubt they would have won the series. BTW, Osgood should have won the Conn Smythe, not that Hank didn't deserve it, but Osgood IMO was the real MVP
I agree.
Dude is going to see that cash in the offseason, and hopefully Flopper Hasek retires, along with Chelios.
Yeah he already signed a contract earlier this year I believe.
I heard that he is only making 800K this year...
Maybe the guys at CBC said it wrong... I was under the impression that he wasnt getting paid the real money.
However, the main thing, is that the coaching staff actually starts the man next year. I was mad when we let him walk. I was mad when he came back, and was thebackup. Always, with Ozzy, success comes. He isn't an all star goalie, but he gets the job done in the system.

I thought that Ozzy deserved the Conn Smythe, no question about it. Dude played great for most of the finals, and as well as the conference finals.

I think its gunna be tough for the Pens to get back to the Finals next year... their gunna lose some key players over the summer and we all know what happensto the losers of the Finals the next year.... just look at Ottawa and most of the previous losers of the Finals

pimp.gif

The last coupla mins had me shook. Ozzie manned up and played great in the playoffs even though they went with that old fart Hasek. Dude needs to bail. NOBODYwants him in Detroit. He got another ring now get the f out.

Soooooooo happy to see another one of my teams win a 'ship. Its been too long for my liking. Hank is gonna start cakin' and well deserved. He isunreal. This TEAM was great the entire year. Lots of young bucks stepped up when people were injured (top 4 d-men for about 2-3weeks) so that helps for thefuture. Babcock coached his balls off this year. He has solidified himself in my eyes. I hope Chelli leaves on top like he should. Great American hockeyplayer.

Pitts is gonna be good for many years. Will be interesting to see what they do with Hossa because that will say alot about Geno and Staals futures there.

Congrats Detroit fans, your team deserved it without a doubt. Would've loved to see a game 7, and i'm not sure you guys ever saw the real Malkin inthis series which was pretty disappointing, but that was an incredibly talented and well coached team you guys have, that did almost everything right everysecond they were on the ice. Fun series to watch, can't wait for next season.

I can't see anyway Hossa stays in the burgh - but we all appreciated the hell out of having him, dude left his heart out there every game and it wasexemplified with his last ditch effort there that wouldn't have counted... dude is a player, for sure, i hope he gets paid wherever he ends up because hedeserves it.

You guys:

I'm so sorry for not posting after Monday's loss, I seriously was too upset.

Thanks for a great playoffs to every hockey fan that posted this year.

AVY CHECK!!!!
smokin.gif

damn i'm barely on edge for teams that aren't mine but I wanted to see it go 7 just so I had more hockey to watch

Congrats Detroit...and as much as I think Crosby is a biatch the kid has some serious skills

Would've loved to see a game 7
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
ohwell.gif

First and foremost, congrats to the Wings on a great season and they def deserved to win the Cup tonight. IMO Crosby/Malkin were both ghosts against Detroit.Looking back, I would've figured in the 2nd half of the season Crosby would be better because of the time he had off due to his injury. Who knows, maybehis ankle isn't feeling too great, he just didn't look like the same old dominant player that he was in his first/second year. Don't get me wrong,he had a great 3rd season this year playing in only 52 games, but when he came back from that injury he just didn't look the same.

As far as the Pens and their free agents, they need to lock up Staal/Malkin and Malone I believe. Hossa was a GREAT rental player, and that's all he wasmeant to be IMO. He's gonna be getting 8 mill + and there's no way in hell the Pens should keep him and only sign one of the big 3 UFA. I'll haveto look up who else is due for a new contract, but I'm pretty sure they should be ok if they just re-sign Malkin/Staal/Malone.

smh.gif
@ no more hockey

I always have a great time watching the stanley cup finals...

The trip is..I think a small part of my wife likes hockey now. She was throwing crap at the tv during the last 2 mintues.

Well... this is the beginning of the end of the fun. Hockey being over means basketball is only a few weeks away from over, and then: DUN DUN DUNNNN! nothingbut baseball and WNBA highlights,
laugh.gif

Dah well... what a way to end the year. By the skin of their teeth!

And yes, I thought Ozzie should have won the Conn Smythe. I mean Hank was on point the whole playoff, but Ozzie had a 1.55 GAA, including 3 Shutouts! PLUS hewon all the clinchers ON THE ROAD!

Originally Posted by cquan05

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
ohwell.gif

First and foremost, congrats to the Wings on a great season and they def deserved to win the Cup tonight. IMO Crosby/Malkin were both ghosts against Detroit. Looking back, I would've figured in the 2nd half of the season Crosby would be better because of the time he had off due to his injury. Who knows, maybe his ankle isn't feeling too great, he just didn't look like the same old dominant player that he was in his first/second year. Don't get me wrong, he had a great 3rd season this year playing in only 52 games, but when he came back from that injury he just didn't look the same.

As far as the Pens and their free agents, they need to lock up Staal/Malkin and Malone I believe. Hossa was a GREAT rental player, and that's all he was meant to be IMO. He's gonna be getting 8 mill + and there's no way in hell the Pens should keep him and only sign one of the big 3 UFA. I'll have to look up who else is due for a new contract, but I'm pretty sure they should be ok if they just re-sign Malkin/Staal/Malone.

smh.gif
@ no more hockey

C'mon man, Sid had 26 post season points, second most behind Zett, which ain't bad at all. Say what you want about him, but dude was one of theonly players to show up for the pens in games 1 and 2, and he was out there til the last second of game 6 putting it all on the line. Detroit is a great team,they're going to make even the best players in the league struggle for long periods of time.

Originally Posted by cquan05

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
ohwell.gif

First and foremost, congrats to the Wings on a great season and they def deserved to win the Cup tonight. IMO Crosby/Malkin were both ghosts against Detroit. Looking back, I would've figured in the 2nd half of the season Crosby would be better because of the time he had off due to his injury. Who knows, maybe his ankle isn't feeling too great, he just didn't look like the same old dominant player that he was in his first/second year. Don't get me wrong, he had a great 3rd season this year playing in only 52 games, but when he came back from that injury he just didn't look the same.

As far as the Pens and their free agents, they need to lock up Staal/Malkin and Malone I believe. Hossa was a GREAT rental player, and that's all he was meant to be IMO. He's gonna be getting 8 mill + and there's no way in hell the Pens should keep him and only sign one of the big 3 UFA. I'll have to look up who else is due for a new contract, but I'm pretty sure they should be ok if they just re-sign Malkin/Staal/Malone.

smh.gif
@ no more hockey

ORLY? He had the same amount of points as the Conn Smythe winning Henrik Zetterberg? How is that ghost like? The hatred for Sid is ridiculous. I am not aPens fan, so Im not bias, but dude is arguably the best player in the league. He showed up in the playoffs to. And to top that off, he might still be feelingthe ankle injury, word around the Pens is that it isn't 100% which would make sense of the claim you made by saying he wasn't the same when he cameback.

predictions for next year? detroit looks really good and they aren't losing anyone... penguins will have to make changes because of the cap they got thesituation with malkin, hossa, malone and staal... i really think dallas can do well because they surprised me this year and that was filled with injuries, andi also think ducks will be good if they keep the team the same way it is, because they are one of the most physical teams with some awesome defense.

I think next year will be pretty similar to this year as far as who gets into the playoffs and falls out early with the exception of carolina. I see themgetting in and boston not. I also don't see Montreal being as good as they were this year.

Malkin won't be a Pen in a few years so the time is now

Let's hope my Flyers can do some positive things and Simon Gagne is back to full strength

I don't think my Rangers will make the playoffs next year... their going to be a VERYyoung team

Marc Staal
Bobby Sanguinetti
Nigel Dawes
Ryan Callahan
Brandon Dubinsky
Lori Korpikoski
Artem Anisimov
Petr Prucha
Alexei Cherepanov (probably wont be on the roster until 2009-2010 though)

basically it will be Drury, Gomez, and a bunch of kids.....but atleast it will be fun watching

And the Devils will be the same middle aged, slow, low scoring team like always. Gotta love em lol. Hopefully they can come to the realization that you need toput the puck into the net in todays NHL.

And the Devils will be the same middle aged, slow, low scoring team like always. Gotta love em lol. Hopefully they can come to the realization that you need to put the puck into the net in todays NHL.

yep... you can't play with a defensive system in todays NHL... Devils and Rangers share the same problem... It worked before the lockout but notanymore... i dont understand why they can't figure that out

yeah because the rangers have proven in the past that bringing in guys who are well known has been a tremendously successful move for them. Remember PavelBure? or how about Eric Lindros? or how about even Wayne Gretzky? or maybe Petr Nevded? The NHL nowadays is turning towards home grown, drafted talent. Thedraft is where you make your mark, not through free agency where you tend to over pay players who under produce, like Ranger fans know about all to well.

Back
Top Bottom