Official Nike Air Max Penny 1 Updated - 2022 Retro Coming!

God damn.........omfg I had to log back in my account to comment on these pitiful *** retro.

Colors are ugly as hell

Shape is off like a mofo

Tongue is super weird

Looks like some damn fakes. If these weren't real pictures, they look like some replica/fake sneaker website pictures. Just look at the wave part, it's all mis-shaped.

I don't understand it. Why cant they make it right? How they gonna retro these and have 6 ugly colorways and not one og colorway....sheeh, not even one previously retroed colorway such as the chi or nyk?

SMH. it's one extreme to another. Nike gives us these tiny air max units for these, but they can give huge air max units for the air max 270 which is wayyyy oversized.

Swear man, if Nike ever holds a public press conference, I'm going to roll up with one of their many hideous retro cws and...

Shoe throw.gif
I hate Dubya, but I have to admit he slipped that first shoe like he was prime James Toney. Then read the second shoe throw perfectly and knee it would be high and not an issue.

Welp, it appears these are Nike's next ***** to put out on the corner to make $$$.

I guess with that white/silver colorway coming, its less likely we'll see the homes release :smh:

This is unreal.

Man the shape is all jacked up lol...

Looks like some damn circa 2000 skating shoes lol... Look like they stuffed a rolled up sock underneath the tongue. And they made the tongue mesh wtf? I wouldn't buy them on discount either *****

The shape and size of the wave is hella sus...

If those pics are adult sizes lmfao!!!

The only excuse is for the misshape or proportion if it's a grade school kids sizes...even then it'll be a cardinal sin for kids to be rocking such atrocities.

It's like they put colorways together via a dartboard or some **** lol... cmon G!!! Cavs and GS colorways? ***** and it's not even executed right, the color blocking is all out of sorts. Like why the hell would they put a white sockliner on the black and red ones, why would they put a white heel on the Warrior ones, why would they randomly put a white rear sole on the Cavs one, etc... Don't make any damn sense.

I'd at least think they'd drop a Memphis colorway since he's the new head coach there now...

I don’t think they will look that bad, it’s just trying to show you exactly half of the shoe in one shot. Unless they truly made them look weird lol

Just an update for the six of us who seem to even care about these shoes anymore: Wore them all weekend. This is a 12-year-old retro. I only wore these probably 10 times (likely less, more like five or six times) when I got them originally back in 2006, and never for more than one full day. Pretty sure I really only wore them for fun at night after work walking around my house and watching bball on TV while wearing my sweats while being lazy. These things are basically brand new. First of all, they look great. When I pulled them out of the box, they had a tiny bit of residue on the swooshes and the airbags. Cleaned each shoe entirely with Jason Markk, which took that all away and had them looking like I bought them a week ago and wore them once. Second of all, for casual wear, they are very comfortable. The soles actually feel soft and well-cushioned, unlike, say, the Pippen 1 and other Air Max retros from a few years later that feel awful. If it weren't for the heel slip that these had from Day 1 in '95, I could play in these today in terms of cushioning.

What really stuck out to me because of the above is, the difference in how so many retros are made now is starkly apparent. These were done absolutely right. Glad I have them. One of the best classics from the Nike basketball archive. Shame about how so many shoes are done so wrong nowadays. These are just another exhibit of how Nike knows how to do it yet just doesn't bother at least half the time anymore. Bummer, honestly.

Whenever I get time in the next week or three, I'm going to make a thread and show my mint Kobe II ids. Compared to today, the quality is NUTS. I forgot all about them till I pulled them out a few months back. I was amazed to see how good they are, by any standard. If Nike id--hell, Nike PERIOD--made a shoe like that today, people would lose their minds. It's really sad to see how it's all degenerated during the past decade or so. I can still remember the day I ordered those things; it's bizarre to hold them now and compare them to what we usually get anymore.

@tonytobacco, tagging you on this just because of our other exchanges over the weekend.

Last edited:
If the Penny I home would be the mystery release of that "think 16" pack I would go crazy, but since Penny did not win it in 96 I sadly doubt it! Would still be cool though!

4D853406-F300-4DAA-B699-F7B66F8063CF.jpeg
JFC. Who’s going to buy these? That Chicago-esque colorway is the only one that’s not a complete disaster. On the other hand, this all inspired me to pull out my 2006 pair tonight. Will wear this weekend for first time in forever. Forgot how sick the OGs are.
the rubber outsole hasn't yellowed? I had bought that retro from PYS(RIP) in late '09 and once I started wearing them more often, they started yellowing. Or it could have been the fact that I cleaned them very often to try and keep them as fresh as possible. :lol:

the rubber outsole hasn't yellowed? I had bought that retro from PYS(RIP) in late '09 and once I started wearing them more often, they started yellowing. Or it could have been the fact that I cleaned them very often to try and keep them as fresh as possible. :lol:

You saw my picture, so no, they haven't yellowed. In person the soles have a slight twinge of aging on them but nothing anyone would notice.

I have two pairs of the 2006 (og orlando colorway) retro. Both are yellowing, one pair more than the other. The clear nike logo on the toebox yellowed badly.

2006 retro was ok. Air Max Unit was the tiniest it ever was in 2006.

The 2000 retro was the best they ever retroed the penny one. The close 2nd best retro (mold/aesthetic) was the New York Knick Penny Ones. Just look at the air max unit on those and how big they were...

I have two pairs of the 2006 (og orlando colorway) retro. Both are yellowing, one pair more than the other. The clear nike logo on the toebox yellowed badly.

2006 retro was ok. Air Max Unit was the tiniest it ever was in 2006.

The 2000 retro was the best they ever retroed the penny one. The close 2nd best retro (mold/aesthetic) was the New York Knick Penny Ones. Just look at the air max unit on those and how big they were...

I also still have my Knicks pair in mint condition. My Orlando pair obviously doesn't have the large bubble, but they are still plenty comfortable. I got over the smaller bubbles a long time ago, though certainly I would prefer the larger ones just from a looks standpoint.

Maybe I should put my Orlandos back in the box in the dark closet I pulled them out of the other day, but whatever. If they yellow, they yellow. I didn't do anything special to prevent them from doing so until now. Just were in a dark closet for years. The plastic piece on the toe with the swoosh yellowed a long time ago, but it doesn't even look bad to me. I think after 12 years, I'll just wear them when I feel like it. I'm not going to sell them, and whatever happens to them happens to them. I've got too many shoes unworn or barely worn sitting in my closet. If I don't start wearing them, it's sort of pointless LOL

Had to reglue my 06 Orlando’s and have to reglue my knicks but yeah these are tied for my second favorite shoe model of all time

i forgot when they last retro'd the orlandos, i have a pair DS that i wanna UNDS, but i'm wondering if it's safe to do so.....

i forgot when they last retro'd the orlandos, i have a pair DS that i wanna UNDS, but i'm wondering if it's safe to do so.....

Last time they retried the orlandos was 2011. Those are good to go.

The 2006 is a YMMV thing and how you stored them. I have a couple of pairs of 2006 and one is separating slightly, but the other one is good to go. I had another pair of 2006 that were my beaters and I left them in the trunk of my car in hot *** socal and they dismantled on me in an impromptu hoop session after work one day, like it literally dismantled in clean *** pieces, it was crazy.

I would’ve been all over those maybe 10+ years ago. And even still they could’ve been executed better. A Jewel swoosh with pattern, pinstripe tongue, knit piping, 3M, and a decent air bag would’ve made these crack

Back
Top Bottom