OFFICIAL NIKE KOBE 8 SYSTEM THREAD

i have never heard anyone has any issues with their achilles
maybe knees cause the lunorlon is thinning 

Seems like a decent number of people are having knee problems, myself included, from bottomed out lunarlon cushioning. I got a buddy that has never had knee issues and isn't much of a jumper recently complaining about his knees too. Can't think of it being anything but the shoes. Seems like a big problem. I used to wear shox or air max for a long time till the tread was worn through but with these I didn't even get 3 months.

Seems like a decent number of people are having knee problems, myself included, from bottomed out lunarlon cushioning. I got a buddy that has never had knee issues and isn't much of a jumper recently complaining about his knees too. Can't think of it being anything but the shoes. Seems like a big problem. I used to wear shox or air max for a long time till the tread was worn through but with these I didn't even get 3 months.

Lunarlon is Nike marketing at it's finest. Basically re-branded foam based shoes at a higher priced point.

Nike used to price their non-Air (Zoom, Max, etc..) shoes at entry level prices because the foam would compact at a higher rate than their Air based shoes. Now they charge a premium for them but you still get the same poor durability.

so there is no lakers CW officially?
i dont want to ID a pair and then nike decides to release them next month
I would give up if they don't pop up like the pps next week when lebron on kd team colors release. Homes and amnesties would have been copped by a non lakers fan. I can't get with not having to different purples or the correct yellows.

Personally, I do think that the full length lunar inserts in these kobes is a step forward in tech.  The way lunar foam disperses impact and provides response really surprised me when I first started playing in these.

With that being said --- yes, Nike knows what they are doing here.  The inserts won't last forever, especially if you hoop regularly.  And your knees will suffer the consequences.

And the cushion between the sole and the inserts in the kobe 8's is not as thick as most basketball shoes. This can also contribute to knee, foot and ankle pain. One thing to remember is college/pro basketball players get more than one pair of shoes shoe they keep them in a rotation of get rid of them completely. So they don't wear down their shoes like we do playing in the same ones everyday 

And the cushion between the sole and the inserts in the kobe 8's is not as thick as most basketball shoes. This can also contribute to knee, foot and ankle pain. One thing to remember is college/pro basketball players get more than one pair of shoes shoe they keep them in a rotation of get rid of them completely. So they don't wear down their shoes like we do playing in the same ones everyday 
Exactly.  

The drop in insole/midsole means amazing court feel, but hardly any impact protection once worn down.

To the second part -- I consider myself lucky to be able to own multiple pairs of 8s so I can prolong my use of them.  Definitely an issue for someone who needs one pair to go for a long time.

word,  I need superhero zoom inserts for my 8s.  If I find some for a decent price would anyone want the shoe? We could work something out, where ill just take the insole
happy.gif

so there is no lakers CW officially?

i dont want to ID a pair and then nike decides to release them next month
i would wait, they probably will do just that, how can they not release lakers cw's, its profitable for them to make you wait hoping that you will id a pair or two, just my opinion

word,  I need superhero zoom inserts for my 8s.  If I find some for a decent price would anyone want the shoe? We could work something out, where ill just take the insole
happy.gif
Not a bad idea.  I would consider doing that for black elites, but not superheroes... sorry homie 
tired.gif

indeed. kobe 8s are not true basketball shoes...im still hooping in kobe v's that have way more mileage on them. what a buzzkill for an otherwise great sneaker. i did get jordan 2012 inserts im going to try out but if i still get knee pain then its game over for hooping in 8s

Exactly.  

The drop in insole/midsole means amazing court feel, but hardly any impact protection once worn down.

To the second part -- I consider myself lucky to be able to own multiple pairs of 8s so I can prolong my use of them.  Definitely an issue for someone who needs one pair to go for a long time.
This. 8's are comfortable as hell while they last, but if you hoop in just one they won't last long. Get about 3-5 however and you'll be good.

not stretching shouldn't have an effect..in fact, static stretching is probably one of the worst things you can do before an workout/activity..but to inline with your question..i do warm ups before i play..

no knee issues but that's probably because I'm using the black elite cushlon/heel zoom insole.

the achilles pain is only in my right foot..which is what i mainly use to push off being a regular footer. I wonder if it's the ankle padding/lock down. It's thicker than most shoes and i can feel it pinch....that or it's because the cushlon bottomed out already.

not stretching shouldn't have an effect..in fact, static stretching is probably one of the worst things you can do before an workout/activity..but to inline with your question..i do warm ups before i play..

no knee issues but that's probably because I'm using the black elite cushlon/heel zoom insole.

the achilles pain is only in my right foot..which is what i mainly use to push off being a regular footer. I wonder if it's the ankle padding/lock down. It's thicker than most shoes and i can feel it pinch....that or it's because the cushlon bottomed out already.
spacekid -- are your heels pretty secure in the shoes while you're playing?  Also, what type of socks are you wearing?

I know these may not be contributing factors but I thought I would ask.

Someone in here brought up the "runner's loop" lacing technique and how he does it with Kobes.  I tried it a few months ago and have been lacing that way ever since.  It seems to keep the foot a little more secure, especially keeping the heel in place.  I have not played in the elites specifically, but maybe this could help?

Google it or check youtube if you haven't heard of the runner's loop

Last edited:
hoping some dope TB colorways drop. that will determine if i cop another i.d. been disappointed in the past few releases. milk snakes were the last dope colorway imo.

How long are you all hooping in them before you feel the lunarlon has thinned out and isnt providing adequate cushioning anymore?

spacekid -- are your heels pretty secure in the shoes while you're playing?  Also, what type of socks are you wearing?

I know these may not be contributing factors but I thought I would ask.

Someone in here brought up the "runner's loop" lacing technique and how he does it with Kobes.  I tried it a few months ago and have been lacing that way ever since.  It seems to keep the foot a little more secure, especially keeping the heel in place.  I have not played in the elites specifically, but maybe this could help?

Google it or check youtube if you haven't heard of the runner's loop
all good..the lock down is amazing..no movement..a little too amazing..like i said before..the padding pinches my achilies more than any other basketball shoes that i've worn...not in a bad painful way but it is noticeable when you first put them on...so maybe that's causing the problem.

socks..i have to double down with some regular nikes and elites. once the cushlon starts wearing down, you can feel the nike plus plastic in the middle of your foot when you land/cut etc...

thanks!! i'll check out the lacing techinique

How long are you all hooping in them before you feel the lunarlon has thinned out and isnt providing adequate cushioning anymore?

3 months for me, also had similar pain with hyperdunks....switched to kobe V, Vi and lebrons and didnt have that issue again.

all good..the lock down is amazing..no movement..a little too amazing..like i said before..the padding pinches my achilies more than any other basketball shoes that i've worn...not in a bad painful way but it is noticeable when you first put them on...so maybe that's causing the problem.

socks..i have to double down with some regular nikes and elites. once the cushlon starts wearing down, you can feel the nike plus plastic in the middle of your foot when you land/cut etc...

thanks!! i'll check out the lacing techinique
No prob.  Your pain could in fact just be coming from the tight fit around the heel.  I suppose the socks could help with this?  Hope you're able to fix the problem.

really depends on the player and playing style... big guys that slashes and pounds that boards are going to bottom quicker than lightweight spot shooters.

I would say 3-5 months (depending what position and your weight)  and the lunarlon should be bottomed out.

Back
Top Bottom