Official Niketalk DJ Thread vol. NO REQUESTS

i got a ns6 as a birthday present a couple months ago. where would be a good place to learn? im a newb. also would anyone reccomend going to those dj classes they offer? i live in nyc if that matters

i got a ns6 as a birthday present a couple months ago. where would be a good place to learn? im a newb. also would anyone r
reccomend going to those dj classes they offer? i live in nyc if that matters

I recommend you start on your own, in your bedroom. Try out all the functions on the NS6 and see what they do.

Classes are cool but I think they only use turntables and mixers.

i got a ns6 as a birthday present a couple months ago. where would be a good place to learn? im a newb. also would anyone reccomend going to those dj classes they offer? i live in nyc if that matters
I wouldnt pay for classes... goto a club of whatever type of music you enjoy and show up early when they open up and chit chat with the opening dj... more than likely if he's down to earth he'll show you some pointers

You're better off teaching yourself. When I first learned my friend just showed me how he mapped his Mixmeister to Traktor and I picked it all up all within a night over a bottle of dark liquor and some tree :lol:

1. Watch videos on YouTube
2. Watch how other DJs play @ clubs etc..
3. Ask some DJs for some pointers
4. Play around with the controller..

Serato DJ will be available for the NS6 in Spring 2013.

I'm in the same boat as you, I got one as a gift about 4 months ago. I've just been messing around with it and trying different things, and learning how everything works. After a while you start to get the hang of it. I've gotten a lot better just by trail and error and understanding how everything works.

I'm def going to be visiting this thread more often...

I started off with a love for a music and just started messing around on Virtual DJ on my laptop...but I can only do so much with a touchpad and keyboard....

Looking to pick up some gear in the next few months and start taking it a bit more serious...my intention is not to even really make money from it....one of my boys also started recently on CDJ100's recently...our plan is just to start at an off night at our favorite lounge once a month or something (once we get to a level of performing in public- he's already started at a club when the doors just opened)....

I prefer deep house and vocal house....I'm at the point, where if at any point I actually earn money from it...I might just donate my earnings to charity (a friends colleague does the same with his band)...I just really care about making dope mixes and having a good time...not trying to make a full career out of it....

An update to this post here...

is that my boy actually copped the CDJ850's...

and what he calls a pretty weak mixer...but he was trying to cut a bit of initial capital costs..

Last weekend I was messing around with his setup....

It took a bit of getting used to for me since the way his is mapped, the crossfader isn't used for anything and it was my first time on a set of real decks instead of virtual decks that allow you to see the peaks of a song on the display. But as soon as I got my first track mixed right, I was hooked.

So with Xmas coming up, I'm seriously thinking about a xmas gift to myself. His setup was about 2300 dollars (btw we don't live in the US, so I'm sure some of you will probably say it's overpriced). I'm looking for something cheaper than that. But most importantly my issue is, we spent most of the time mixing off 2 flash drives (my beats and his), and I'm wondering if I'll ever really need cd's. Can one of you recommend a really solid option for me, with room for growth (as in, I don't want a first timers setup that's super limited)

Ideally I want a 4 channel mixer like the one in the image, except I want to be able to use certain effects as well. I do have a MBP that can be connected. I do already have loads of 320kbps mp3's, so I think maybe CD's maybe a bit unnecessary for me.

I've been looking at that NS6 for the past few hours, and it seems like it could be the solution.

Especially since it allows me add CDJ's later on if I like.

Anyone recommend another option?

to everyone asking on how to start. learn to mix by ear, and not visually, and go form there.

learn the patterns of songs and study music, like learn to listen to music by bars, and when it starts and ends.
then go see how others dj play, n learn from that.
the most important thing is learning to beat match BY EAR. not waves.

and if you want to dj parties/clubs/etc dont worry about scratching that is secondary,
if you want to be a dmc technical dj then go into it, but in the end.

scratching is secondary at the club.

I've been looking at that NS6 for the past few hours, and it seems like it could be the solution.

Especially since it allows me add CDJ's later on if I like.

Anyone recommend another option?

Still have the same question, except I saw the Numark N4 in-store and considered it too.

Can someone tell me the major reason why I should rather get a NS6 over a N4?

I'm assuming the NS6 is just a suped up version of the N4?

Are you only looking at Numark products?

If you're in the hunt for a controller, you could also take a look at the Numark line. I've had my S2 for almost a year now and I love it.

Last edited:

If you're in the hunt for a controller, you could also take a look at the Numark line. I've had my S2 for almost a year now and I love it.

The NS6 seems to be the upgraded and better version of the N4. It has nice extra features, like the a trackpad for searching for points in a song, and one or two other things.

The NS6 seemed to have really good reviews. But after looking at the N4, I was thinking it may just be a good option (also, it is half the price).

I'm not ONLY looking at Numark products, if someone else suggested something similar that they had great experiences with, I would definitely strongly consider it.

The only major issue I see from the S2 is that it doesn't seem to have controllers for 4 decks. I would like to be able to mix 4 channels at once.

Man this thread brought back memories.. i use to spin back in the days still do it every now and then but gave all my equipment and records to my little bro. but anyways i have yet to use any of this new technology i use virtual dj on my laptop but it's not hooked up to anything i just mess with it with the keyboard on my laptop. my set up was just 2 1200's and a mixer and crates upon crates of records. i been really wanting to grab that ns7 and get back in to it but haven't really had an extra thousand dollars laying around so hopefully the price drops soon or maybe i could find a used set up .. o yeah i use to go by Dj Unknown 
nerd.gif

Last edited:
Any1 tried Serato DJ yet?
Any good?
Worth 199$?

All the videos ive seen look good, im waiting for namm to see what serato announces, there have been several hints by some staff members on the serato message boards that a merge between serato dj and scratch live maybe happen, with all the features and attention payed to serato dj, scratch live users felt left out in the dust. Hopefully it happens and maybe some updated gear to go along with the software. Hell the software may just be called serato.

The NS6 seems to be the upgraded and better version of the N4. It has nice extra features, like the a trackpad for searching for points in a song, and one or two other things.

The NS6 seemed to have really good reviews. But after looking at the N4, I was thinking it may just be a good option (also, it is half the price).

I'm not ONLY looking at Numark products, if someone else suggested something similar that they had great experiences with, I would definitely strongly consider it.

The only major issue I see from the S2 is that it doesn't seem to have controllers for 4 decks. I would like to be able to mix 4 channels at once.

Have you checked out the S4?

I mean, if you're willing to pay a little more, then you should go with the NS6.

Last edited:

funny you brought this up...i've been looking at the n4 and ns6 myself but still haven't been able to pull the trigger. ns6 is obviously a great controller but i just don't see where the n4 doesn't stack up. keep us (me) updated on your decision plz!

finally bought the N4 but haven't put it to use yet. first impressions - definitely a sturdy controller

I'm beyond a noob,
saw something that caught my attention when I was shopping for xmas gifts.

I noticed the "starter" equipment was a lot cheaper than I previously thought.
I'm only trying to host parties at my place

any suggestions, I'm thinking $300 or less
saw these
Amazon product ASIN B00466HLWO
Amazon product ASIN B003OR0YSO
I also, wouldn't mind to learn some simple production
mixing and sampling
:nerd:

thx in advance.

Last edited:
hey fellers..

does anyone have a numark ttusb?

i just need a turntable for sampling with a pitch control function..

i just have a cheap ION belt drive turntable at the moment since i just needed something to play my vinyls..

also if you could recommend something else in that price range id appreciate it..just need something for sampling

hey guys i got pioneer ddj s-1 using serato itch. where can i get dj drops for free? as in siren ect?

Try soundcloud.com Sometimes dj post sound effects. But you gotta be fast because they get taken down.

Also try thudrumble.com (but you gotta pay). They have a lot of their records for download. I think its $4 per side. Check em out.

Back
Top Bottom