Official NT dad thread: can the dads get love

Because I love you man! And want to raise the bar for all of us dads.

The part that really got me was how he was basically calling everyone off of his son like it was them two against the world at that point.

no doubt. "thats MY son!"

dope stuff my dude.

Congrats keel.
nthat.gif

6 weeks to go for us.

We have pretty much gotten everything taken care for the boy's nursery and all the essentials.

I need to start handling the business side more now tho. Was just gonna stay home for two weeks but now im considering a whole month and doing half of that on FMLA, so i gotta apply for that.

My other task is getting some heavy duty life insurance outside of what i picked with my employer.

For you Dads that feel great about your life insurance selections can you offer recommendations???

6 weeks to go for us.

We have pretty much gotten everything taken care for the boy's nursery and all the essentials.

I need to start handling the business side more now tho. Was just gonna stay home for two weeks but now im considering a whole month and doing half of that on FMLA, so i gotta apply for that.

My other task is getting some heavy duty life insurance outside of what i picked with my employer.

For you Dads that feel great about your life insurance selections can you offer recommendations???
I'll start with life insurance: Once my son was born I bought a $1M 20 year term policy through New York Life.  That would give my wife enough to pay off the mortgage and have some left for added financial security.  My plan was to buy another $1M 20 year term policy once we had a second child, but I've been slacking on that and my daughter is already 2. Finally got my medical exam done a couple weeks ago and waiting for the quotes to come back now.  I'd like to say that it would be enough to pay for the kids to go to college if I don't make it that long, but who knows what that will cost in another 15+ years.  Either way, I'm easily worth more dead than alive, so I need to stay on my wife's good side.

Now, as for FMLA... it's not really in my nature to be the type of guy who sits home and takes time off, but I can understand the appeal for new dads.  I'd rather be be on the grind providing for my family the way I best know how, which requires me to be working.

6 weeks to go for us.

Whether someone gets life insurance from their employer or not, it's VITAL that you get your own. Your employer can always let you go and then your family is out in the cold with NO protection.

When looking at life insurance, make sure you get 10x your income on a 20 year term (30 years if you have a mortgage). That will help cover your family and make sure they have adequate income to provide for the kids for their life if you die. If they invest in a moderately risky mutual fund, they should expect an 8% return which would easily duplicate your income for the family.

Be sure to shop around. I went with ING (now Voya) several years ago and they were the lowest bidder and didn't count my family history of diabetes or obesity when giving me a Super Preferred rate. If you're in relatively good health it shouldn't cost you more than $250-500/yr. depending on how much you get.

Edit: Oh ya... Make sure to also get a burial rider for your little one too. It's incredibly morbid to think about but it breaks my heart every time I see a family lose a child and they have to make a Gofundme page just to afford to bury their child during their time of grief. It costs almost nothing to add to your policy.

Last edited:
def. want to look into this (life insurance), now that we are in the process of having kids

just dont know where to start to be completely honest 
eyes.gif

def. want to look into this (life insurance), now that we are in the process of having kids

just dont know where to start to be completely honest 
eyes.gif
I'm sure everyone has their own experience and preferences, but I'll give you mine.  I work in finance, which inevitably puts me in contact with a lot of insurance agents.  Simply put, I chose one locally that I felt comfortable working with.  If you don't have any specific contacts, I'd start with whoever you buy your auto or home insurance from.  If they don't offer life insurance, maybe they can make a recommendation.  Otherwise, you can ask friends/family for referrals.

[thread="523723"]Quote:[/thread]

just dont know where to start to be completely honest :rolleyes

I'm sure everyone has their own experience and preferences, but I'll give you mine.  I work in finance, which inevitably puts me in contact with a lot of insurance agents.  Simply put, I chose one locally that I felt comfortable working with.  If you don't have any specific contacts, I'd start with whoever you buy your auto or home insurance from.  If they don't offer life insurance, maybe they can make a recommendation.  Otherwise, you can ask friends/family for referrals.

I'm in the process of getting insurance again myself. My wife is finally on board w/ it (she's one of those people who don't like talking about things like that out of fear of jynxing :rolleyes) I'm just going to go through Statefarm since I already have policies w/ them and can bundle for a discount. Looking into Whole Life since my future earnings are uncertain.

I'm in the process of getting insurance again myself. My wife is finally on board w/ it (she's one of those people who don't like talking about things like that out of fear of jynxing
eyes.gif
) I'm just going to go through Statefarm since I already have policies w/ them and can bundle for a discount. Looking into Whole Life since my future earnings are uncertain.
I can't blame you for looking at whole life, but when I ran the numbers it was incredibly expensive for the level of coverage I wanted.  It comes down to your reasoning for the coverage.  My goal was to pay off the mortgage and provide financial security until the kids are old enough to take care of themselves.  If I meet my untimely demise, my wife can go to work but her earnings potential is not what I consider enough to make it happen.  This would help bridge that gap.  If I outlive my term(s) then hopefully by that time the mortgage will be paid off and the kids will be on their own (or close enough) and my wife could work and meet the lower financial demands at that point in time.

Last edited:
6 weeks to go for us.

Whether someone gets life insurance from their employer or not, it's VITAL that you get your own. Your employer can always let you go and then your family is out in the cold with NO protection.

When looking at life insurance, make sure you get 10x your income on a 20 year term (30 years if you have a mortgage). That will help cover your family and make sure they have adequate income to provide for the kids for their life if you die. If they invest in a moderately risky mutual fund, they should expect an 8% return which would easily duplicate your income for the family.

Be sure to shop around. I went with ING (now Voya) several years ago and they were the lowest bidder and didn't count my family history of diabetes or obesity when giving me a Super Preferred rate. If you're in relatively good health it shouldn't cost you more than $250-500/yr. depending on how much you get.

Edit: Oh ya... Make sure to also get a burial rider for your little one too. It's incredibly morbid to think about but it breaks my heart every time I see a family lose a child and they have to make a Gofundme page just to afford to bury their child during their time of grief. It costs almost nothing to add to your policy.

thank to everybody for the feedback so far.

Its interesting that your bring up the diabetes. I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes in October of last year. (Last year was hella stressful and i developed some bad habits that i think brought it on after we suffered the loss of our kids). I have no family history of it and I was relatively healthy before the diagnosis. My docs say my case is such an outlier. But as of now I am all good in terms of regular blood sugar, weight etc but I am on meds.

Im going to look into voya because you said that they didnt count that against you, but do you think i should anticipate having a rough time getting a great policy because of the diabetes? Do I have to be honest about that up front? I have no fears that I wouldnt pass a physical or anything like that. Im actually more healthy now then I have probably ever been due to the diet and regular exercise.

6 weeks to go for us.

thank to everybody for the feedback so far.

Its interesting that your bring up the diabetes. I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes in October of last year. (Last year was hella stressful and i developed some bad habits that i think brought it on after we suffered the loss of our kids). I have no family history of it and I was relatively healthy before the diagnosis. My docs say my case is such an outlier. But as of now I am all good in terms of regular blood sugar, weight etc but I am on meds.

Im going to look into voya because you said that they didnt count that against you, but do you think i should anticipate having a rough time getting a great policy because of the diabetes? Do I have to be honest about that up front? I have no fears that I wouldnt pass a physical or anything like that. Im actually more healthy now then I have probably ever been due to the diet and regular exercise.
To clarify, I don't have diabetes but my dad & grandma had/have it so I'm high risk too. Since I was in pretty good shape when we got it and have never smoked, we got a really good rate. If anything, your rate might be higher but I doubt they wouldn't give you a policy unless you have a history of cancer or other life threatening situation.

I would be completely honest about everything. If you should need to redeem the policy and they found out you weren't upfront you could be putting your family at risk of not receiving the financial benefit of your death. Plus, with the way data analytics are going it's highly likely they'll be able to find out later that you weren't being honest anyways.

my son been coming to work with me for his 3 week vacation but he's going back to preschool soon. moved up to the big guy class so he'll be wearing a uniform too. damn prices are a rip off.

I thought the benefits of uniforms were to cut cost...

Bruh I spent $900 on uniform last year :lol:

He'll be 3 in October but he's built like a 7 year old

Edit: normally I'd take him to the beach, hiking, or just hop in the jeep and go trail riding/mudding but not with these NE summer storms lol

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom