Official NT dad thread: can the dads get love

Flu season is among us. Son came home with a stomach flu Thursday. Hit the rest of the family Friday night. Daughter was throwing up and heaving up until we gave her some pesto bismol. As of today, wife and I have recovered, but the kids are still having some difficultly holding in their food.

Be safe and disinfect everything.

Took the family on a much needed fam time staycation, drove up to Sedona

IMG_2832.JPG

IMG_2816.JPG

Took my kids to north central AZ during covid. Jerome, Sedona, flag, and up to Utah. They had no interest hella glued to their phones lol.

I had a blast though.
:lol: all they did was complain how bored they were, my oldest has a phone but i told her she couldnt bring it for this trip, i told her if i gotta deal with your grandparents for 4 days so do you :lol:

:lol: all they did was complain how bored they were, my oldest has a phone but i told her she couldnt bring it for this trip, i told her if i gotta deal with your grandparents for 4 days so do you :lol:
For real lol
They did say that Utah has the cleanest public bathrooms ever

Yeah it doesn’t get better. My 17 year old is always bored.

we’re gonna roll down to savannah from Atlanta. I’m sure she’ll be “bored” even though it was her idea. :lol:

i been to sedona and thought it was cool. would love to take my fam - my wife and son would love it but my 4 year old daughter would complain about being bored…until we got to a gift shop where she could buy crystals 🤦🏻‍♂️😂

halloween last year my son was harry potter and my daughter was hermione. they been matching every year….until now. my son is gonna be beethoven and my daughter is gonna be taylor swift. if my son didn’t go to private school, he’d probably get his *** beat daily for being a nerd. my wife and i embrace that nerd **** tho.

Any dads experience the 3-4 month sleep regression. Son is coming up on 4 months, doesn’t want to take day naps and is waking up every 2 hours at night right now. To top it off, he really doesn’t let me help him fall asleep. Only falls asleep with mom.

my son is def a mama’s boy. my daughter tho, she’s daddy’s little princess.

my son started 5th grade and from 4th grade, he been messing up. missing assignments and telling us bull**** about what’s due. frustrating to watch him work fine with fractions or do long division on bigger numbers but this mf makes mistakes on simple add and subtract. makes me want to punch his damn head. on top of that, his handwriting is atrocious. anyway, instead of yelling at him like i usually do, i tallied up the number of times he had to go back and redo his math and each one turned into some laps in the pool (our pool is small). i made him swim a ****load of laps last night while i sat in the jacuzzi. everytime he rested too long, i whistled and he would start swimming again. he swam so much that he almost barfed but i felt great after the long soak in the hot tub 😎

IMG_3962.jpeg
that was my daughter last year in 4th grade as well

my kids are in an after school program because me and my wife work

I tell them if they get their homework done that they can do whatever when they get home...whether it be eff around on an ipad or watch tv

wasn't until close to the end of the school year that she did that without a struggle

this year she has done better...only thing she gives us trouble on his she is supposed to read 60 minutes a week

her younger sister always has has her homework done before she is picked up

Any dads experience the 3-4 month sleep regression. Son is coming up on 4 months, doesn’t want to take day naps and is waking up every 2 hours at night right now. To top it off, he really doesn’t let me help him fall asleep. Only falls asleep with mom.
When we 1st had our son, he was a really great sleeper till about the 3/4 month mark. Than he would wake up a lot more frequently. There were nights where he'd only wake up once, and others where it felt he was up almost every hour. It remained that way until we finally moved him into his own room, and slept trained him when he was about 16 months.

Crazy thing is that it only took about 2 days to sleep train my son. The 1st night we slept trained him, he woke up like 2 hours after we put him to sleep, than he went into complete hysteria for like 20 minutes than slept the rest of the night. Man it was so hard for me and my wife to fight the urge get him. It felt like we were abandoning him. The anxiety kept me and my wife up all night. Day 2, was a repeat of of day 1, but my son was only up for like 10 mins in a state of hysteria, than slept the rest of the night. Now that my daughter is turning 3 months this week, im anticipating the sleep regression will start relatively soon.

my son is def a mama’s boy. my daughter tho, she’s daddy’s little princess.

my son started 5th grade and from 4th grade, he been messing up. missing assignments and telling us bull**** about what’s due. frustrating to watch him work fine with fractions or do long division on bigger numbers but this mf makes mistakes on simple add and subtract. makes me want to punch his damn head. on top of that, his handwriting is atrocious. anyway, instead of yelling at him like i usually do, i tallied up the number of times he had to go back and redo his math and each one turned into some laps in the pool (our pool is small). i made him swim a ****load of laps last night while i sat in the jacuzzi. everytime he rested too long, i whistled and he would start swimming again. he swam so much that he almost barfed but i felt great after the long soak in the hot tub 😎

IMG_3962.jpeg
Gave me PTSD of me losing my mind crying in the kitchen while my dads trying to help me with my math homework :rofl:

Just had a gender reveal and found out its a BOY! Its what we both wanted and we're literally in shock. Couldnt be anymore excited. I coach basketball and run a community center so the amount of activities I'm doing with bro is going to be ENDLESS (If my girl doesn't try to steal him for Pixar movies and stuff lol)

Now to my NT fathers of boys, how was your experience raising them? Any tips?

Where do you parents in here look for childcare? My mom has a daycare and is looking for new children, all her old advertisement platforms are outdated now (parent magazines etc). She’s on a site called Winnie but wondering if there’s more
Might need to figure out google ads

Now to my NT fathers of boys, how was your experience raising them? Any tips?
Bro I could write a book. My lil guy is 16, and I have made sssssoooooo many mistakes.

Early on in his life, when he was a toddler and little boy, letting him know I was disappointed in something he did was my primary 'tool' in redirecting his behavior. I would definitely do that over again. That ain't it. He ended up feeling like I was always disappointed in him; he's told me this before. Now that he's older, sophomore high school, we talk a lot. What happens at school, what's going on with friends, how he's doing in band, just a lot of conversation. Of course, he's older now, but past 6, 7, 8 years old, your role is to guide them on their own path, because they're personality is basically done. I put him in sports when he was super young, because I love sports and I'm a huge basketball guy; have been since high school. Definitely wanted him to play basketball or play something. He just didn't really like sports. Just goofed off, and I would get so upset at him not taking it seriously. Then in 5th grade, he had a music teacher that did music lessons with the entire class. I remember she set me an email that she would like to meet with me after school. I thought he was in trouble. No. She told me after school that day that he is a born drummer. I know this sounds silly and immature, but in that moment, it was hard for me to let go of my dream of him playing sports, but my mind shifted immediately: Ok, drums it is, then."

And as I'm typing this reply, he's in the music room practicing.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I would've spent a lot less energy letting him know I was disappointed and a lotttttt more time helping him figure out how the world works and how he wants to operate in it.

I think one thing I have definitely done right, though, is that I tell him 'I love you' every single day that I have him (me and his mom are split). Every day, multiple times a day. Even when we've had fights and the day ends bad, I still tuck him in every night and tel him 'I love you. We'll do better tomorrow.'

I've developed this model over the years, as my own guideline regarding the life I want for him:
Smiles
Silliness
Structure
Security
Safety
Satisfaction
Simulation

Apologize. If you do something to him that you would apologize for if you did it to someone else's kid, then apologize to him. I've only put my hands on him twice in 16 years, and I apologized both times.

I just realized how long this reply was. My bad. I'll shut up now.

I don't know if this will play on here, but here's him drumming with the school's jazz band (drum solo at :52 seconds): https://photos.app.goo.gl/4isR6jsctoeUUYHw7

Bro I could write a book. My lil guy is 16, and I have made sssssoooooo many mistakes.

Early on in his life, when he was a toddler and little boy, letting him know I was disappointed in something he did was my primary 'tool' in redirecting his behavior. I would definitely do that over again. That ain't it. He ended up feeling like I was always disappointed in him; he's told me this before. Now that he's older, sophomore high school, we talk a lot. What happens at school, what's going on with friends, how he's doing in band, just a lot of conversation. Of course, he's older now, but past 6, 7, 8 years old, your role is to guide them on their own path, because they're personality is basically done. I put him in sports when he was super young, because I love sports and I'm a huge basketball guy; have been since high school. Definitely wanted him to play basketball or play something. He just didn't really like sports. Just goofed off, and I would get so upset at him not taking it seriously. Then in 5th grade, he had a music teacher that did music lessons with the entire class. I remember she set me an email that she would like to meet with me after school. I thought he was in trouble. No. She told me after school that day that he is a born drummer. I know this sounds silly and immature, but in that moment, it was hard for me to let go of my dream of him playing sports, but my mind shifted immediately: Ok, drums it is, then."

And as I'm typing this reply, he's in the music room practicing.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I would've spent a lot less energy letting him know I was disappointed and a lotttttt more time helping him figure out how the world works and how he wants to operate in it.

I think one thing I have definitely done right, though, is that I tell him 'I love you' every single day that I have him (me and his mom are split). Every day, multiple times a day. Even when we've had fights and the day ends bad, I still tuck him in every night and tel him 'I love you. We'll do better tomorrow.'

I've developed this model over the years, as my own guideline regarding the life I want for him:
Smiles
Silliness
Structure
Security
Safety
Satisfaction
Simulation

Apologize. If you do something to him that you would apologize for if it was someone else's kid, then apologize to him. I've only put my hands on him twice in 16 years, and I apologized both times.

I just realized how long this reply was. My bad. I'll shut up now.

I don't know if this will play on here, but here's him drumming with the school's jazz band (drum solo at :52 seconds): https://photos.app.goo.gl/4isR6jsctoeUUYHw7
Na bro this is good. I appreciate everything here. I always said I’ll never hit my kid but will say I’m disappointed. But you showed me how that can have a negative impact as well when said too much. Loved the be a guide part.

I def felt that playing sports piece. I want my kid to just be active athletically and can’t wrap around if he doesn’t want to which is crazy for me. I have to get better at that

And you got a future Questlove bro. Good luck moving forward

darthska darthska that’s some really good ****. my son (10 years old) has told me that it feels like i hate him when i yell at him about every aspect about his homework. i’m constantly working on better ways to communicate with him.

after getting him on a skateboard early and trying to make him enjoy it, and then forcing him to suffer through judo classes, i learned to stop pushing him to become what i wanted him to be and instead, support him on his path to becoming the best version of himself. he’s been playing violin for almost 1 year and he’s doing great. part of the way through the second suzuki book.

Back
Top Bottom