Official Oakland Athletics Offseason Thread

Originally Posted by Darko for MVP

Originally Posted by EAGLE 0N

A's really need their young position players to step up.

We also need depth (or a new training/medical staff) because it seems like every year the injuries pile up.

Lastly, I hope MLB resolves the A's stadium status STAT. This team is going to remain in limbo until then.

The A's have a whole new training and medical staff. That may be the biggest acquisition of the season. 
What??! Source??

This seriously has me more excited than any other development
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Darko for MVP

Originally Posted by EAGLE 0N

A's really need their young position players to step up.

We also need depth (or a new training/medical staff) because it seems like every year the injuries pile up.

Lastly, I hope MLB resolves the A's stadium status STAT. This team is going to remain in limbo until then.

The A's have a whole new training and medical staff. That may be the biggest acquisition of the season. 
What??! Source??

This seriously has me more excited than any other development
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

[h1]Oakland A's head trainer Steve Sayles is fired following another injury-plagued season[/h1]
By Joe Stiglich
Oakland Tribune

Posted: 10/19/2010 08:41:22 PM PDT

Updated: 10/20/2010 05:06:02 AM PDT

The A's have fired head athletic trainer Steve Sayles on the heels of another season that was sabotaged by injuries. The team made no announcement Tuesday, but Sayles confirmed his dismissal via a text message to the Bay Area News Group, declining to discuss the situation further.

A's general manager Billy Beane didn't return phone messages, and manager Bob Geren declined to comment when contacted.

The A's used the disabled list 23 times in 2010, the second-highest total in Oakland history after the 25 in 2008. But the injury problems began to mount in 2007. Since the start of that season, the A's have used the DL 87 times, second-most in the major leagues.

The A's made a concerted effort to improve their health after the 2007 season. They promoted Sayles to replace Larry Davis as head trainer (Davis moved into a job as coordinator of medical services). They also required players to report for occasional offseason checkups.

The problems have persisted, but the A's deserve some blame for targeting injury-prone players.

Right-hander Ben Sheets and center fielder Coco Crisp were signed as free agents last winter although both were coming off major surgery in 2009. Sheets' 2010 season ended in July with a right elbow injury, and Crisp missed most of the first half with a fractured pinkie finger and strained rib cage.

Right-hander Justin Duchscherer was re-signed despite injury struggles in previous seasons, and he lasted just five starts before a hip injury ended his year. The A's acquired outfielder Conor Jackson from Arizona in June despite him battling a strained right hamstring earlier in the season. He missed 78 games with Oakland because of that hamstring and a sports hernia.

[h1]Oakland A's head trainer Steve Sayles is fired following another injury-plagued season[/h1]
By Joe Stiglich
Oakland Tribune

Posted: 10/19/2010 08:41:22 PM PDT

Updated: 10/20/2010 05:06:02 AM PDT

The A's have fired head athletic trainer Steve Sayles on the heels of another season that was sabotaged by injuries. The team made no announcement Tuesday, but Sayles confirmed his dismissal via a text message to the Bay Area News Group, declining to discuss the situation further.

A's general manager Billy Beane didn't return phone messages, and manager Bob Geren declined to comment when contacted.

The A's used the disabled list 23 times in 2010, the second-highest total in Oakland history after the 25 in 2008. But the injury problems began to mount in 2007. Since the start of that season, the A's have used the DL 87 times, second-most in the major leagues.

The A's made a concerted effort to improve their health after the 2007 season. They promoted Sayles to replace Larry Davis as head trainer (Davis moved into a job as coordinator of medical services). They also required players to report for occasional offseason checkups.

The problems have persisted, but the A's deserve some blame for targeting injury-prone players.

Right-hander Ben Sheets and center fielder Coco Crisp were signed as free agents last winter although both were coming off major surgery in 2009. Sheets' 2010 season ended in July with a right elbow injury, and Crisp missed most of the first half with a fractured pinkie finger and strained rib cage.

Right-hander Justin Duchscherer was re-signed despite injury struggles in previous seasons, and he lasted just five starts before a hip injury ended his year. The A's acquired outfielder Conor Jackson from Arizona in June despite him battling a strained right hamstring earlier in the season. He missed 78 games with Oakland because of that hamstring and a sports hernia.

Originally Posted by zube42

Originally Posted by ShaunHillFTW49

Speculation that Bailey may be traded. smh
You serious?
mad.gif

Why the @#@% do we trade EVERYONE we have with talent?!

It's either we trade them now and get something or they leave in the offseason for nothing. Let's just hope Beane can continue to keep us competitive.

Originally Posted by zube42

Originally Posted by ShaunHillFTW49

Speculation that Bailey may be traded. smh
You serious?
mad.gif

Why the @#@% do we trade EVERYONE we have with talent?!

It's either we trade them now and get something or they leave in the offseason for nothing. Let's just hope Beane can continue to keep us competitive.

A's trade for Josh Willingham

ESPN.com news services

The Oakland Athletics acquired outfielder Josh Willingham from the Washington Nationals on Thursday for two players.

Josh Willingham
#16 LF
Oakland Athletics

2010 STATS

* GM114
* HR16
* RBI56
* R54
* OBP.389
* AVG.268

The Nationals received pitcher Henry Rodriguez and minor league outfielder Corey Brown. Rodriguez, 23, went 1-0 with a 4.55 ERA in 29 relief appearances with Oakland last season. He struck out 33 batters in 27 2/3 innings pitched. Brown, the 59th overall pick in the 2007 draft, hit .283 in 131 games with Double-A Midland and Triple-A Sacramento.

Willingham gives the A's, determined to upgrade their offense heading into 2011, another solid middle-of-the-order hitter. He batted .268 with 16 home runs and 56 RBIs last season, his second with Washington after five years with Florida.

The 31-year-old Willingham finished last season on the 60-day disabled list as he recovered from knee surgery. He was sidelined after Aug. 15 and played 114 games, 108 of those in left field.

The Athletics formally introduced slugger Hideki Matsui as their new designated hitter Tuesday and has agreed to terms on a contract with right-hander Rich Harden pending a physical.

Oakland manager Bob Geren will have options in the outfield, along with much-needed depth considering the injury histories of all the players expected to contribute regularly.

Newly acquired David DeJesus, who came to the A's in a trade with the Kansas City Royals in November, could start in right field and Willingham in left, though Oakland also had penciled in Ryan Sweeney in one of the corner spots. Sweeney agreed to a $1.4 million, one-year contract earlier this month.

Sweeney hit .294 with one homer and 36 RBIs in 82 games last season before being sidelined in July by a right knee injury. He has gone 117 games without committing an error, the sixth longest streak ever by an Oakland outfielder.

DeJesus batted .318 with five homers and 37 RBIs in 91 games with Kansas City this year. He was sidelined for the final two months following right thumb surgery.

Starting center fielder Coco Crisp, whose $5.75 million option was exercised early last month, hit .279 with eight homers, 38 RBIs and a career-high 32 stolen bases despite being limited to 75 games because of injuries. He spent stints on the disabled list with a broken left pinkie finger -- it kept him off the opening day roster -- and a strained rib cage.

The A's stayed in the AL West chase until late in the season, losing out to the AL champion Texas Rangers, and finished 81-81 for second place in the division. That was despite using the disabled list 23 times, two shy of the franchise record set in 2008.

A real bat, I think I'm going to cry.

A's trade for Josh Willingham

ESPN.com news services

The Oakland Athletics acquired outfielder Josh Willingham from the Washington Nationals on Thursday for two players.

Josh Willingham
#16 LF
Oakland Athletics

2010 STATS

* GM114
* HR16
* RBI56
* R54
* OBP.389
* AVG.268

The Nationals received pitcher Henry Rodriguez and minor league outfielder Corey Brown. Rodriguez, 23, went 1-0 with a 4.55 ERA in 29 relief appearances with Oakland last season. He struck out 33 batters in 27 2/3 innings pitched. Brown, the 59th overall pick in the 2007 draft, hit .283 in 131 games with Double-A Midland and Triple-A Sacramento.

Willingham gives the A's, determined to upgrade their offense heading into 2011, another solid middle-of-the-order hitter. He batted .268 with 16 home runs and 56 RBIs last season, his second with Washington after five years with Florida.

The 31-year-old Willingham finished last season on the 60-day disabled list as he recovered from knee surgery. He was sidelined after Aug. 15 and played 114 games, 108 of those in left field.

The Athletics formally introduced slugger Hideki Matsui as their new designated hitter Tuesday and has agreed to terms on a contract with right-hander Rich Harden pending a physical.

Oakland manager Bob Geren will have options in the outfield, along with much-needed depth considering the injury histories of all the players expected to contribute regularly.

Newly acquired David DeJesus, who came to the A's in a trade with the Kansas City Royals in November, could start in right field and Willingham in left, though Oakland also had penciled in Ryan Sweeney in one of the corner spots. Sweeney agreed to a $1.4 million, one-year contract earlier this month.

Sweeney hit .294 with one homer and 36 RBIs in 82 games last season before being sidelined in July by a right knee injury. He has gone 117 games without committing an error, the sixth longest streak ever by an Oakland outfielder.

DeJesus batted .318 with five homers and 37 RBIs in 91 games with Kansas City this year. He was sidelined for the final two months following right thumb surgery.

Starting center fielder Coco Crisp, whose $5.75 million option was exercised early last month, hit .279 with eight homers, 38 RBIs and a career-high 32 stolen bases despite being limited to 75 games because of injuries. He spent stints on the disabled list with a broken left pinkie finger -- it kept him off the opening day roster -- and a strained rib cage.

The A's stayed in the AL West chase until late in the season, losing out to the AL champion Texas Rangers, and finished 81-81 for second place in the division. That was despite using the disabled list 23 times, two shy of the franchise record set in 2008.

A real bat, I think I'm going to cry.

^ That's a nice little trade. Middle of the order bat, potential type-A free agent for a potential closer with bad control and oft-injured OF? I'll take it.

^ That's a nice little trade. Middle of the order bat, potential type-A free agent for a potential closer with bad control and oft-injured OF? I'll take it.

Been away for awhile, I'll update the first page soon. I like the Matsui addition. Personally I would much rather have him than Berkman. Willingham is also a nice addition. I still feel like we need another power bat to contend for the division though. Beltre would be nice but it's pretty clear he doesn't want to play here and I really don't want to give him a 5 year deal like he wants. We'll see if Billy has any more moves left. Also, seems like Carter is gonna start at Sac unless another trade happens, how do you guys feel about that?

Been away for awhile, I'll update the first page soon. I like the Matsui addition. Personally I would much rather have him than Berkman. Willingham is also a nice addition. I still feel like we need another power bat to contend for the division though. Beltre would be nice but it's pretty clear he doesn't want to play here and I really don't want to give him a 5 year deal like he wants. We'll see if Billy has any more moves left. Also, seems like Carter is gonna start at Sac unless another trade happens, how do you guys feel about that?

Back
Top Bottom