Official PC thread.

just checked out the gpu pricing. while AMD has their prices marked down to msrp level, Nvidia is still keeping it slightly above msrp. still not buying either cards til they hit below $500 with their mid-high end cards. my justification, it's a 2 year old gpu and the upcoming cards are within the horizon, so screw them.

Got a 6900xt for around 720, i'm good with that for a long while. Copped a 5900x to upgrade my 5600, but that's really od for what I'll do with it, gaming and a few VMs. Think i'll return it and stash the cash away for next gen non gpu updates.

Got a 6900xt for around 720, i'm good with that for a long while. Copped a 5900x to upgrade my 5600, but that's really od for what I'll do with it, gaming and a few VMs. Think i'll return it and stash the cash away for next gen non gpu updates.
where did you get your 6900Xt? damn, I would definitely buy it at that price? was it from a miner? did you also get the 5900X cheap like the 5800X3D? considering the price difference between the two, I would choose the 5900X as well even if it is OD. you can always expand it. but if you are returning it, I guess you already have a 4K 120hz monitor.

so far, the rumors about the next gen gpus sound tempting enough for me to hold longer.

where did you get your 6900Xt? damn, I would definitely buy it at that price? was it from a miner? did you also get the 5900X cheap like the 5800X3D? considering the price difference between the two, I would choose the 5900X as well even if it is OD. you can always expand it. but if you are returning it, I guess you already have a 4K 120hz monitor.

so far, the rumors about the next gen gpus sound tempting enough for me to hold longer.
Nah it was new from Newegg, actually it was 780 after coupon, plus 50 mail in rebate. The 5900x was 332 on prime day, plus I had a $80 gift card. That plus if I sell the 5600, it would cost me around $140. **** I probably will keep it. Yeah I have a 4K 120hz capable monitor.

Nah it was new from Newegg, actually it was 780 after coupon, plus 50 mail in rebate. The 5900x was 332 on prime day, plus I had a $80 gift card. That plus if I sell the 5600, it would cost me around $140. **** I probably will keep it. Yeah I have a 4K 120hz capable monitor.
unless you are having problems with thermals or power consumption, I'm not sure if returning it would be of benefit other than you are ready to dip in on AM5. for me, I'll wait it out til I see how the 1st gen AM5 pans out. so far, I'm still good with my 3rd gen Ryzen. after almost 3 years, it still hasn't failed me yet and the thermals have just begin to get a bit on the hot side of things. I just remembered that it is already due for it's annual clean-up. might as well, re-paste the thing.

Got a new PC from my job. I guess I'll use the other one for gaming. It's bout to look crowded in my office.
20220719_173137.jpg

20220719_173148.jpg

Attachments

• 20220719_173148.jpg
    20220719_173148.jpg
    213.5 KB · Views: 143
They just give you PC desktops?

Or is it stuff they’re getting rid of?

I’m tempted to get a retail Nvidia but I’m worried that the 4000 series going to mo betta on the Ray tracing and pushing a pretty picture.

I’m tempted to get a retail Nvidia but I’m worried that the 4000 series going to mo betta on the Ray tracing and pushing a pretty picture.
I have a laptop with a 2060 mobile that could in most cases match a PS5 on performance
, so I'll definitely wait out for the next generation of Nvidia GPU's or maybe even further out for the next AMD GPU's. I promised myself to not upgrade my electronic devices all of the time until they get noticeably slow.

my concern is rising power consumption. I don't need a 300w gpu. I need an efficient gpu that wouldn't cost me more in the long run.

My laptop gets hot to the touch around the fans when I am playing demanding games.

I mean like, if you pressed and held your finger on the computer itself for 15 seconds it would result in a burn.

Should I be worried :lol:

Nah sounds about right. Just make sure you have enough room for ventilation and do heavy gaming with the lid open. Why I didn't bother with a gaming laptop anymore, too hot.

My laptop gets hot to the touch around the fans when I am playing demanding games.

I mean like, if you pressed and held your finger on the computer itself for 15 seconds it would result in a burn.

Should I be worried :lol:
that's normal for gaming laptops. that's why I upgraded from highend gaming laptops for years and back to gaming desktops. aside from hot thermals, throttling issues, freeze-ups, shutdowns, overheating, exploding batteries, errors and reboots, the way games are becoming more demanding, the longevity of gaming laptops are further reduced to about a year or a year and a half. gone long are the days where your gaming laptop can still perform well around 4-5 years. maintenance is also easy with desktops compared to laptops.

Haven't been a pc gamer since my StarCraft days. Got a stream deck otw tho and need some tips on how to get some good cheap games. Is steam my only option?

Haven't been a pc gamer since my StarCraft days. Got a stream deck otw tho and need some tips on how to get some good cheap games. Is steam my only option?
boy that's a long time. I remember that time when Windows 95/98 was messing with the cd key of the game and couldn't run it.

boy that's a long time. I remember that time when Windows 95/98 was messing with the cd key of the game and couldn't run it.
I played StarCraft 2 as well in the early 10s. I have mostly been a console guy and the steam deck is the perfect middle ground.

I played StarCraft 2 as well in the early 10s. I have mostly been a console guy and the steam deck is the perfect middle ground.
the SteamDeck is a great middleground compromise in my opinion. I haven't owned one yet but I'm probably considering buying one for portability.

Back
Top Bottom