***OFFICIAL PHILADELPHIA EAGLES 2011 SEASON THREAD***

News from Saturday.
[h1]In need of line help, Eagles sign Reggie Wells[/h1]
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on August 20, 2011, 11:18 AM EDT

r-wells.png

Maybe it’s just a case of the Eagles trying to improve the very bottom of their roster.  Or perhaps it’s a sign that Philly’s troubled offensive line is in even more trouble than we think.

The Eagles announced Saturday they signed Reggie Wells.  It’s a surprise because he was a backup last year behind two guys they didn’t bring back this year.

From Les Bowen of the Philadelphia Daily News: “Reggie Wells??!! This o-line might be in way more trouble than we thought. . . . Don’t get Reggie Wells at all. Are they moving Herremans to tackle? Is Ryan Harris done?

does Reggie Wells play LB too?

Eagles better teach Brandon Graham how to play LB once he gets back...a la Tamba Hali

i think O-line will be fine.. eventually.. i think herramens ends up at RT anyways (and if kelce continues to impress.. i could see us moving jamaal jackson for something)

ppl have to remember the amount of injuries we had on the Oline last year..

lost jackson early (which meant we had to start mcglynn at center.. and now dude prob won't make the team).. and herramens missed the first 6 games (if remember correctly)

then we had peters dealing with ankle injuries early

then jean-gilles was down for a bit

some good players are going be cut from our roster.. so i could see us making a trade at some point (don't forget who is the browns GM and willing to take ANYONE on the eagles roster)

and as far as the LBs go..

i think we'll be fine too, if the mathews thing doesn't work.. we just move chaney back to MLB, fokou back to SAM and start clayton  at WILL

Chaney definitely needs to get back in the middle and at least have Casey come off the ends as a OLB

i think casey will do fine at MLB.. but it's probably just rough for him right now trying to learn the defense and not having OTAs oo

sooo he's probably out there thinking alot more than he should be

The Asante trade talks are still going on.  Are there any deals that we could make with him that would actually make sense?  NYG might be willing to give something nice (with their current CB situation), but other than that I don't see any.

man I wish we could keep all 3 corners but I guess they are willing to trade Asante because DRC and Nnamdi would be palying unfamiliar roles had they kept all 3

I still want a linebacker but I'm sure no one wants to give up a good one for Asante

[h1]Mike Patterson will make his preseason debut[/h1]
Posted by Mike Florio on August 23, 2011, 11:23 PM EDT

gty_mike_patterson_nt_110805_wg.jpg
Getty Images
When the Browns host the Eagles on Thursday night, defensive tackle Mike Patterson will make his preseason debut, more than three weeks after suffering a seizure during practice.

Doctors diagnosed Patterson as having a tangle of blood vessels in his brain.  Initially, it was reported that he’d undergo surgery or radiation treatments.

Patterson has since returned to practice, and he’ll suit up and play in less than two days.

“I can’t tell you how much he’s going to play, but we’ll just see how things go,

By Reuben Frank
CSNPhilly.com

1) Anybody who's already dismissed Casey Matthews and is blabbering that he'll never be a productive starting NFL linebacker is jumping the gun big-time. It's way too early to make any long-term pronouncements about a kid who hasn't even played the equivalent of one full NFL game yet. In reality, Matthews is 3 1/2 weeks into his first NFL preseason, and he was put in a position in Pittsburgh where he had no chance to succeed. Not saying he'll ever be a star. Not even saying he'll be ready on Sept. 11. It's just way too early to write the kid off.

2) Somebody is going to have to convince me that the Eagles' best offensive line isn't (left to right): Jason Peters Evan Mathis -> Jamaal Jackson -> Danny Watkins -> Todd Herremans.

3) Jason Kelce really is having an outstanding camp and looks like a terrific young interior lineman. But opening the season in two domes and two of the loudest stadiums in the NFL – Edward Jones Dome in St. Louis and the Georgia Dome in Atlanta – it's almost impossible to imagine the Eagles starting two rookies next to each other on the O-line. Gotta be Jamaal at center.

3.5) DeSean Jackson's next drop will be his first of the preseason.

4) With everything else going on, it's almost an afterthought, but at some point in the next few weeks, the Eagles will have a wide receiver in uniform who caught 107 passes two years ago. Yep, nobody's even talking about Steve Smith, but he was third among all NFC receivers in 2009 with 1,220 receiving yards (behind Miles Austin and Sidney Rice). Add him to the DeSean / Maclin / Smith / Avant / Celek / Shady / Ronnie Brown lineup and how are defenses going to stop Michael Vick?

5) All the speculation that swarmed around Jeremy Maclin's mystery illness was sickening. The ridiculous rumors that people inexplicably perpetuated on message boards, Facebook and Twitter were needless and hurtful. I got more than 50 emails asking me what was really going on with Maclin. Did you really think the entire Philly media was lying when we wrote repeatedly that doctors still weren't sure exactly what was going on? And that I was going to reveal the truth in an email to a fan who happens to have his fantasy draft coming up? Why the obsession with Maclin's illness? Being curious or concerned is fine. Posting all over social media that Maclin has some terminal disease when you really have no idea is irresponsible, childish and hurtful. This wasn't a knee or ankle injury Maclin suffered on the football field. It was a private, personal matter. Why couldn't people understand and respect that?

6)
I keep thinking, "Derek Landri? Really?" And then he makes another play. He's making it tough for the Eagles to cut him.

7) Juqua Parker is due to earn $3.5 million this year and Darryl Tapp $2.575 million. I just can't see both making the team at over $6 million combined. With Trent Cole at $3.9 million and Jason Babin at $6.5 million, that would be $16.475 million in 2011 pay for four DEs. Not going to happen. Tapp has had a better (and healthier) preseason than Parker, and no matter how many times I put together my 53-man roster, JP is the odd man out. Parker's $3.5 million would fit nicely into the DeSean Jackson Fund.

glasses.gif
I really don't know what to expect from Babin this year. If he finished with 4 1/2 sacks, I wouldn't be shocked. But if he recorded 17 I wouldn't be shocked, either.

9) The Eagles have had one guy with more than 13 sacks in the last 18 years – Hugh Douglas with 15 in 2000. They could have two this year.

10) OK, here's a weird stat that means absolutely nothing: The Eagles are 6-26 in their last 32 preseason road games.

11)
My top 20 Kinks songs: 1. Days, 2. Waterloo Sunset, 3. Death of a Clown, 4. Plastic Man, 5. Dedicated Follower of Fashion, 6. Sunny Afternoon, 7. Better Things, 8. Till the End of the Day, 9. Victoria, 10. Well Respected Man, 11. Tired of Waiting, 12. This is Where I Belong, 13. Mindless Child of Motherhood, 14. Shangri-La, 15. Dead End Street, 16. Superman, 17. Living on a Thin Line, 18. Apeman, 19. Autumn Almanac, 20. Father Christmas.

12) Back when Buddy was coaching, all the writers would always fall in love with whatever quick little tailback he brought in as a camp body. "You guys love them itty-bitty backs that come out of the backfield, look pretty, run around, get killed." No, if you played running back for Buddy Ryan you had to block first (and in many cases, that's all his running backs could do). That came to mind lately watching 5-foot-8 Dion Lewis blowing people up in blitz pickup drills. The kid is little but he's a beast. I want to see a lot more of him.

13) Eagles moved from West Chester to Lehigh in 1996. That's 16 training camps in Bethlehem. I've covered every practice, every day, every year. Based on an average of 23 days per camp, I've been at Lehigh 368 days. That makes me a Lehigh ... junior?

14)
I don't think Andy Reid minded that 14-0 first-half shellacking in Pittsburgh one bit. Bring the guys back down to Earth a little bit. When you think about it – a hastily assembled team with a new coaching staff and as many as 11 new starters on the road in the home of a 12-win team that brought back its offense and defense virtually intact from the Super Bowl – that lopsided first half shouldn't be surprising at all.

15) That said, if the Eagles look just as lousy against the Browns Thursday night at the Linc, I'd be very concerned going into the opener in St. Louis. To the point where I'd play the starters a couple series against the Jets.

16)
LeSean McCoy last year became only the 10th player in NFL history to rush for 1,000 yards and catch 75 passes in a season. If he does it again, he'll become only the fourth player ever with consecutive 1,000-yard, 75-catch seasons. The first three? Brian Westbrook (2006, 2007), LaDainian Tomlinson (2002, 2003) and Marshall Faulk (1998-2001).

17) Last time the Phillies were swept in a series of three games or more? A year ago this week. Aug. 23-26, 2010, against the Astros. Since then, they've played 51 series of at least three games. And were swept in none.

18) Are you tired of me raving about cornerback Brandon Hughes yet? He'll be on somebody's roster this year.

19) Colt McCoy's preseason stats going into Thursday night: 19-for-28 (68 percent) for 231 yards, with four TDs, no INTs and a 132.6 passer rating. Will be an interesting matchup with the Eagles' secondary.

20)
The Eagles' first defense wasn't as bad against the run in Pittsburgh as a lot of people made it out to be. Other than some bad gap responsibility on one Isaac Redman run for 16 yards, they were actually pretty good. Rashard Mendenhall and Redman combined for 54 rushing yards on 14 carries, including the 16-yarder. That's 3.9 yards a pop. Not a disaster. And that was without Mike Patterson, Antonio Dixon and Trevor Laws, three of the Eagles' key defensive tackles.

21)
They have to trade Joselio Hanson, right? Say, to the Panthers for a conditional sixth-round pick that becomes a fifth-round pick based on playing time?

22) If the Eagles were thinking of yanking Casey Matthews and moving Jamar Chaney back to middle linebacker, where he played so well at the end of last year, wouldn't they have given Chaney some reps inside at training camp? He didn't get any. Not one.

23) Take a moment and watch Kurt Coleman on the sideline. He never stops talking football with his teammates and coaches. You can tell a kid knows his stuff when the veterans come up to him asking questions.

24) If I'm the coach and Vick gets banged up, I'm putting Mike Kafka in the game.

25) Wish we had Twitter back in the late 1980s, early 1990s. Would have been a blast tweeting all the antics of Buddy, Jerome, Reggie, Clyde, Seth, Andre, Wes, Randall and Eric Allen. Let's see if this fits into 140 characters: "Did LB Dwayne Jiles report to minicamp out of shape? Buddy just told the writers, 'He looks like a big, fat washroom woman.'"

Completely agree with #14. After everybody anointing us one of the Super Bowl favourites before anybody stepped on the field its good for the team to be reminded that they actually need to show up and play

Skip Bayless is such a tool, biggest fruitcake this side of Mike Florio 
"I've been consistent w/ this for 4 years: I think VYoung a little better QB than MVick, whose very good but now a little overhyped."

"VYoung got raw deal w/ JFisher and STILL won rookie of yr, 2 ProBowls, 30-17. Just needs fresh start w/ smart, supportive staff - Philly's."

"Ppl fixated on Vick's hot start last yr. But last 7 games, wore down, regressed - 11 TDs, 7 INTs, home playoff loss. Now 2-4 playoffs."

"This obviously won't happen. But I believe VYoung could have a better season-long season than MVick. And I'm not backing off that stance."

^ skip was born in oklahoma and use to work for the the dallas morning news and then the dallas times herald..

soo when you hear him talk about the eagles and the NFC east, just remember the above

^ very true, I just can't stand him, I remember when he was up at Penn State for one of our big games he was such a tool

On a side note, I think I'm going to buy an authentic Westbrook for $80, I'd rather wait til Nike takes over before I buy an authentic...is that a violation?
laugh.gif
  He is a legendary Eagle and back on 610/941 WIP now 

Skip has ALWAYS been a hater, he just goes against the grain just for the sake of arguing. Yeah the "dream team" stuff is beyond annoying and I think even us Eagles fans can't stand it but Skip tries to disguise his hate by praising teams who we destroyed last season. And it's brutally obvious he hasn't watched a second of preseason footage of Vince Young because Mike Kafka has outplayed him and it's not even close
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom