Official PITTSBURGH STEELERS 2011-2012 SEASON THREAD vol. THE BOUNCE BACK SEASON

I'm the reverse of you foxdawg, I hate the ratbirds & like Harbaugh.

I'm so proud of the Steelers/Rooneys for practicing what they preach. They had the guts to hire a young black head coach that had no previous HC experience & it's paid dividends. I knew we had something special when he came in & decided not to install his defense because it just didn't make sense.The egos of almost all the coaches out there today would not have allowed them to letsomething like this sit.

I don't think the normal sports fan can really comprehend that we've only had 3 coaches in the last 40+ years...I'm pretty sure Tomlin will be on the Steeler sidelines for a long time & that makes me very proud. He's only going to get better & better as a coach which is scary...

I hope Kevin Colbert & Omar Khan are around for a long time too. I think Colbert will be but I think Khan will eventually get to be a GM for another team.

Looks like Ben is fine & going to play...Story from Pittsburgh Post Gazette's Ed Bouchette here.

On The Steelers: Roethlisberger likely to play Sunday against Cleveland
Ben Roethlisberger had the look of a starting quarterback again Wednesday, leading his offense through a full practice and leaving an impression on his teammates that he's ready to return Sunday in Cleveland.
"He looked all right," Hines Ward said. "I don't know if he really ran around or stuff like that. He looked good so, with a week [off], he's feeling a little better, it definitely helped him.

"I'm sure he wants to get a little playing time before we head to the playoffs, considering we don't know the circumstances of what's going to happen."

Tackle Max Starks didn't have the best view of Roethlisberger since he lines up to block in front of him but said, "He didn't seem like anything was wrong" and predicted he would start. "I would assume so if he's taking snaps, yeah."

Roethlisberger missed Saturday's 27-0 victory against St. Louis with a high ankle sprain, first injured Dec. 8 in Heinz Field against the Cleveland Browns. He played Dec. 19 in San Francisco, but coach Mike Tomlin decided to give him more time to heal by resting him last week.

The coaches want to use him 25-30 snaps ideally Sunday so he's not idle between Dec. 19 and whenever their first playoff game is. Roethlisberger said he wants to play against Cleveland simply because he enjoys playing.

"I'd like to play just because I like being out there. I don't know that I necessarily need it -- it'd be nice to get another week of rest, but I prefer to play."

Roethlisberger has played through many injuries over his career, and he has never been shy about talking about them, starting with what he said were broken toes in the AFC championship game his rookie season, a revelation that irked coach Bill Cowher.

"Coach Cowher always said I complain too much about it," Roethlisberger said through a smile. "But I don't really care if people think I'm tough or not, I just want the guys in this room to know I go out and fight for them."

He praised Charlie Batch for his play in Saturday's 27-0 victory against St. Louis and said the week's rest did his high left ankle sprain some good.

"We didn't have any setbacks, that's obviously the good thing. To just get a rest and not tweak it or go in the wrong direction was good.

"The pain is always going to be there. I can deal with the pain, I'm not worried about that. I think the biggest thing is not set myself up to get hurt in other ways or hurt it worse. If I'm a sitting duck back there that's probably not the smartest thing in the world to do. But if it's just the pain, I'll deal with that."

Roethlisberger said the range in his left foot "got a lot better. The biggest thing is weight bearing up on my toes, that obviously involves turning and throwing."

This would be Roethlisberger's 113th career start and, if the Steelers win, his 80th victory. He would be the fourth-fastest quarterback to 80 wins since the Super Bowl era began in 1966. The three fastest were Tom Brady (104 games), Roger Staubach (105) and Ken Stabler (112). Roethlisberger is 32-9 against AFC North teams.

Pouncey likely to play
Maurkice Pouncey returned to a full practice a day after he was named the starting center for the AFC in the Pro Bowl and is likely to play Sunday after missing the past two games with a high ankle sprain.
However, LaMarr Woodley could miss his sixth game in the past eight with a hamstring injury after being limited in practice. He is one sack away from his fourth consecutive double-digit season.

"Don't look like it's going to happen," Woodley said.

"Does it make sense to hold out and maybe rest this hamstring a little bit more before the playoffs? That makes more sense. We're just going to play it day by day, what's best for me and what's best for the team."

The Steelers had a few surprise no-shows at practice Wednesday: James Harrison, listed as having a neck injury, and Troy Polamalu with a new injury involving a knee. Mike Wallace was limited with an ankle injury.

Emmanuel Sanders went through a full practice and should return to play after missing the past three games with a foot injury.

Clark is tackle leader
Ryan Clark has the team lead in tackles by eight heading into the final game. No safety has led the Steelers in tackles since at least 1980, when full-season statistics could be found.
Tackles, an unofficial NFL stat, are compiled by Steelers coaches while watching video the Monday after a game. They are different than the ones listed on the NFL website.

If Clark, who has 96 tackles, does not finish as the team leader in tackles, another safety could break a long string held mostly by linebackers. Polamalu is second on the team with 88 tackles and leads them with 73 solo tackles.

Usually, the team tackle crown is held by one of the starting inside linebackers, who happen to be James Farrior and Lawrence Timmons, who is third with 86 tackles.

"Guys have missed games," Clark reasoned. "And Timmons had to play out of position a little bit.

"Both Troy and I, we've had to make a lot of plays and a lot of tackles this year. It's clear by the numbers, our run defense is not the same. Usually a lot of those plays aren't getting to us.

"The good thing about us having that amount of tackles is we've been able to keep a lot of those runs down to 15, at most 20 yards, which has helped our team."

More alternates
The Steelers revealed only their first and second alternates for the Pro Bowl, but turns out there are many more including guard Chris Kemoeatu. Although having lost his starting job in November and behind even Trai Essex at left guard, Kemoeatu is a third alternate guard. That means, if for some reason three guards back out, are hurt or their team makes the Super Bowl, Kemoeatu will make the Pro Bowl.

Brett Keisel and Ike Taylor are third alternates, Lawrence Timmons a fourth alternate and Antonio Brown is the No. 5 wide receiver. Brown likely will see action in the Pro Bowl at wide receiver besides his duties as a punt/kick returner.

3113626b61afc0d474831af830330d03d989fa3c_r.jpg

Anotonio Brown is the Steelers MVP this year. Couldn't have happened to a better player on the team this year...He has 2048 all purpose yards so far this year & 63 receptions for 1,018 yards receiving...

Finished 12-4 this season. I think we over achieved this season. Proud of Coach Tomlin & the Steelers. Looking forward to seeing how the playoffs unfold. Sad to see Mendenhall get injured, sounds serious. Always liked Redman, but damn his fumbles killed us today, thought I was seeing Bettis out there today LOL. Steelers will go as far as our O-Line & secondary will take us. If we get far, we'll see the ratbirds which will make for an epic game/story....

Damn I forgot, Ryan Clark can't play in Denver...Link to story from ProFootballTalk.com here.

With the Steelers finished second in the AFC North and heading to Denver for a wild-card playoff game, it’s possible that the Steelers won’t have starting safety Ryan Clark.

In 2007, Clark lost his spleen, his gall bladder, and 30 pounds after the combination of a sickle-cell trait and playing football at a high altitude trigger a blood reaction.  “The first speech I got from the doctors in the hospital was that my lungs had filled, my kidneys were dented and my stomach was closing,â€

I'm okmwith Ryan not playing, hopefully shouldn't be an issue to play there and win regardless

i hope your team beats the broncos badly on sunday and i pray that james harrison gets a few good legal hits on tim tebow.

Hines finally gets his 1,000 recs
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Ryan is likely out vs Denver. I think Redman can carry the load with Mendy out.

We finished #1 overall in defense and #12 in offense. Ho-hum.

Yeah Ryan Clark should in no way risk his well being over a game like this.. Honestly, I see the Steelers winning but in a really close game.. Call me a pessimist but I think there's a better chance we lose by 3 than blow them out by over 14 points.. It's a road playoff game with a hobbled qb and backup rb's.. Our defense should play well enough to win but I can see Ben throwing an INT or 2 and somebody losing a fumble.. I feel that even if that happens this team is built to play well against NE but not against Balt. I'd rather play Baltimore last than first if we win this week.

Damn, Steelers running backs coach Kirby Wilson whose been with the team for 5 years was badly burned when his home caught on fire. The story from WPXI's website can be found here. It sounds pretty bad. Hope he & his family are ok. I'll be pulling for him...

Damn man. Our whole squad is %!#$#% up.

STEELERS/AT&T

Harrison (toe), Troy (calf), Keisel (groin), Pouncey (ankle) don't practice. Ben (ankle), Woodley (hamstring), Legursky (shoulder) full participants. Limited Johnson (hyperextended elbow), Allen (shoulder). Out for Sunday Mendenhall (knee), Clark (medical).

S 2 STOP

Well, it looks like Coach Kirby is going to be ok. His injuries are listed as serious but not life threatening. Damn, hope he doesn't have to live life with a bunch of scars. Pouncey has been officially scratched for the game (picture Florida Evans saying, "Damn, Damn, Damn!!!). Lastly, Brady Quinn has been getting starting reps in practice (LOL).

Condolences to the Tomlin family on the loss of Coach Tomlin's father Ed Tomlin. Story here. Mr. Tomlin was only 63 years old.
frown.gif

Arians might be gone...shrug

Art II made some strong statements about getting a little younger. I hope we draft NT first

Lots of stuff going on already in the off season. Rumour mill heating up again about Arians not being back. Rumours also that Kirby Wilson was in line to to be OC, but with burns to 45% of his body, coach Kirby has a long road to recovery. Get well soon coach Kirb. Looks like Dan Rooney is coming back to the Steelers later this year after serving as the US ambassador to Ireland. It will be good to have him around again.

Here's a
link to the Post Gazette's Steeler page for the latest. ProFootballTalk.com also posted some thought's from Art Rooney as reported to Ed Bouchette. Link to actual story here.

Steelers club president Art Rooney recognizes this will be a challenging offseason.The team has salary cap issues and a number of veterans that cost more than they are worth. Their aging defense needs to be re-tooled.

Rooney told Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh-Post Gazette the Steelers will not “tear things apart

One player: Vontaze Burfict (though he is a young James Harrison on field *cough* basket case *cough*) A few mock drafts have us taking him.

However, Steelers usually go for the best player available in the first round and not necessarily a need imo.

I think Ward takes vet. minimum and stays. A. Smith, Hoke, Kemo, McFadden (dude sucks sooo much), and prolly Farrior are gone.

If there's a time to put the younger guys on, now is the time.

I've also heard arians could be gone.. Wouldn't not be surprised or disappointed.. It's Ben's offense anyways and I'd like to have a coordinator that may bring him down a peg to add more ball control to our offense.. As far as cuts.. I have a feeling Hampton's gone, farrior may return and of course ryan clark stays..Hines should retire IMO after really thinking about it.. Our young WRs should be fine and I feel that Mike Wallace is a main priority..

In the draft of course we'll go best player available and in the back of mind I'd like to see us draft Burfict from ASU.. I also wouldn't mind Upshaw from Alabama but I have a feeling he'll be gone.. Also a guard would really help in developing a young and improved O line..

Just my take..

We need o-line, DBs, & then d-line....I don't think Burfict will be around late in the first round. He should be gone within the first 10-15 picks depending on who's drafting. Also, he has a bad attitude from what I've read & heard & I'm not sure he'd fit the type of person Colbert drafts.

I'm strangely ok with the DBS , they actually has an ok year and apparently the development of a couple of the 09/10 picks is ok as well. Unless we can get a good one in round 1, I'd wait till 3 or later. I would just love to see a good new nt to have on the line with Hood/Heyward. I think Hampton is gone and won't accept a pay cut to stay. Tomlin's hard on him. I didn't realize Clark was that old either...may need to start thinking safety? Troy and his health is always a question and he will leave randomly like Barry Sanders

About Burfict I hoping he goes earlier rather than later. With Ray Lewis retiring (or is he?) I'd hate to see the Ravens scoop him up. We'll be looking Ray Lewis part II.
30t6p3b.gif

Also look for Ziggy to move to NT. The Steelers said he's the strongest player on the team, so we'll see what happens.

To me, the DBs having a good season was kind of a mirage. Ike is a great #2 at best. I don't like any of the others. Definately don't like McFadden, don't like Lewis, Gay, Allen, or Madison. They all need to get cut IMO... I'm not sure about the young guys though Cortez, Allen, & Smith-Cromartie. Carnell Lake, the DBs coach is high on Cortez.....What do you guys think about Lebeau? I really hate to say it, but I think it might be time for him to retire...The Pats game had me all hyped up because Lebeau did some different stuff but the he seems to have had a lot of trouble these last several years of making mid game adjustments...

Back
Top Bottom