Official Pizza Appreciation!

SoCal (LA-ish, and surrounding areas) recommendations? Not looking for any of this fancy/pretty pizza, I need the fire, borderline burnt cheese, with greasy pepperoni type stuff… or some fire deep dish.

I sometimes go to a spot in placentia for deep dish, place is called Tony’s little Italy. Spot in LA called lamonicas is pretty ok.

I follow a spot on IG called Danny boys that I want to try.

SoCal (LA-ish, and surrounding areas) recommendations? Not looking for any of this fancy/pretty pizza, I need the fire, borderline burnt cheese, with greasy pepperoni type stuff… or some fire deep dish.

I sometimes go to a spot in placentia for deep dish, place is called Tony’s little Italy. Spot in LA called lamonicas is pretty ok.

I follow a spot on IG called Danny boys that I want to try.
Not fancy at all is The Pan. They have in Gardena and Long Beach get the deep dish. It’s not like Chicago deep dish just thicker crust

Not fancy at all is The Pan. They have in Gardena and Long Beach get the deep dish. It’s not like Chicago deep dish just thicker crust
They have one in Pasadena too right? If so, I almost went some years back, wifey ended up picking something else that we were disappointed with.

Going to Lucali for the first time on Saturday.

Very excited.
How does that work? From YouTube videos it seems like folks start lining up around 8-10AM & I believe doors open at 4? And what you pray to God they'll have a table for you at that time?

How does that work? From YouTube videos it seems like folks start lining up around 8-10AM & I believe doors open at 4? And what you pray to God they'll have a table for you at that time?
From what I gather doors open at 4 to start booking slots for tables, but you're good if you get there by 3.

One of my friends has been itching to go for years but never had a good enough excuse to wait in line. We told him we'd be game if he did the waiting and we met up with him afterwards. He agreed without hesitation. :lol: :nthat:

From what I gather doors open at 4 to start booking slots for tables, but you're good if you get there by 3.

One of my friends has been itching to go for years but never had a good enough excuse to wait in line. We told him we'd be game if he did the waiting and we met up with him afterwards. He agreed without hesitation. :lol: :nthat:
Lol, nice! Everyone wins that way. Mark Iacono, the owner, I read took like 10-15 years perfecting his recipes before he opened up shop. He is extremely dedicated to his craft. You & your friends are in for a real treat.

Curious to know what you think of it & can't wait to see pics. I'm like your friend I don't have an excuse to lineup right now but I think when I start dating again I'll def look into checking them out.

Well, had some time to myself last Saturday night (wife was with her mother) so I went to my favorite spot on the Main Line (Villanova area) and frankly, my favorite spot around... Johnny's Pizza of Bryn Mawr 🙏🙏

2 words. .. BLEEPING AWESOME!!! I got their round pie last time, so this time I went with their rectangular pie. A teeny bit thicker, still firm, very little flop, crispy and overall an amazing taste!! 🔥🔥

PXL_20231104_231000831.jpg
PXL_20231104_231037681.jpg
PXL_20231104_231056167.jpg

Decided to eat it there in the shop while watching ESPN on the tv, since it's a 35-40 minute drive home and it would have gotten cold by that time. So glad I did. Actually was able to eat 6 of the 8 slices before I got home. Had the other 2 later (around 10). I usually stop eating at 7 but I made an exception as I left the last two slices stay room temp and ate them that way. Still amazing!! Kinda glad he's not closer as I'd get this several times a week, lol!!

Then, I FINALLY hit a Philly legend on Wednesday!! Had a doctor's appointment at UPenn central in University City and I had planned this out as my appointment was early enough, and on a day they are open (closed Mon & Tuesday, the day of my usual appointments) and Penn is only 15 minutes from the spot.....Angelo's!!!
PXL_20231108_182620610.jpg

The recipient of a 9.1 from Portnoy!! Place is so legendary now, it's always got people waiting for their food outside.

The spot is in the middle of row homes so no parking except street. And I got INSANELY lucky that a spot was open literally 100 ft from them that was big enough to park my Maverick. 🙏 Walked down, got in line inside to place an order (they have a phone now but good luck getting through). Cash only and the girl said 20 minutes. Mmm, not bad. Just stay close as they shout your name out the door. Was literally 10 minutes as I was just walking back from my truck and I heard my name. Gave them a $20, walked back to my truck, dropped the tailgate and had lunch right then and there!
PXL_20231108_183844128.jpg
PXL_20231108_184625840.jpg
PXL_20231108_184234765.jpg
PXL_20231108_184629235.jpg
PXL_20231108_184656422.jpg

Looked AMAZING!! And everything Portnoy said, and everyone else who says it was SPOT ON!! The BEST pizza in the city HANDS DOWN!! While it looks doughy, it isn't. Super light, super crispy, nice char on some spots, great sauce & great cheese! I didn't have breakfast, and I got this by 1:30, so I was a tad hungry. Polished off 5 of the 8 slices! Their reputation is definitely deserved! Glad I didn't try to call and just waited to get it right out of the oven. If anyone is visiting the city, this HAS to be on the list of places to hit up. You won't be disappointed! 🔥🔥

With no Eagles game today, decided to take a drive across the river into Bordentown to go get my favorite pie! The famous Tomato Pie from Palermo's on 206! Got there around 11:30, and they weren't busy yet (open at 11 as it took me an hour). Ordered it, sat for a few, went to my truck to get my phone and when I came back, it was already done! Holy crap, like 6 minutes. Guy asked if I needed plates & napkins as I said I'm gonna eat out on my tailgate (it was nice & sunny but chilly). He did say I could eat inside, which was nice. Anyhow, here's the masterpiece! 🔥🔥🤤🤤
PXL_20231112_163640529.jpg
PXL_20231112_163927484.jpg

Quite possibly the thinest pizza I've had. This is the 3rd time I have driven the hour TP drive and each time it's SO WORTH IT! You don't even need to ask for it to be well done as each slice had crisp and crunch, it was heavenly!! Needless to say being this thin, and very light, and also that I didn't have breakfast, this was the end result!
PXL_20231112_170322547.jpg

And you know, I didn't even feel that full afterwards. Didn't eat anything else until 6 pm. I tell anyone who doesn't mind a drive, that THIS is worth it!!! 👍👍

IMG_4544.jpeg

Phil & Sons, Flushing, Queens. Grandma slice was good but their Sicilian slice has fallen off. I used to love their Sicilian, granted it always had a lot of dough, the sauce is what sold it. But now, I can’t even recognize this anymore. The Old Man’s recipe has been diluted.

IMG_4556.jpeg

This was my first time at Lulu’s Pizza in Elmhurst, Queens. Right across the street from Queens Center Mall. They do have a couple of table and stools but it’s more of a grab and go pizza spot. They have a 2 regular slices and a can of soda or water “special” for $7. Pizza was okay, it’s slightly better than average. I won’t say that it’s how Grab and Go slices should taste because Lucia’s is grab and go and their pizza is 🔥. But if you’re at the mall, want a quick slice that isn’t Sbarros in the Food Court, it’s a good option. Or if you don’t feel like going to Gloria’s Pizza further down Queens Blvd.

Dude passing by saw me eating and asked how good was the pizza, I told him “It’s aight”. He told his boy “Let’s go, I’m not spending money on pizza if it’s just aight” 🤣 I felt a little guilty that I may have cost them some business 🤣

IMG_4544.jpeg

Phil & Sons, Flushing, Queens. Grandma slice was good but their Sicilian slice has fallen off. I used to love their Sicilian, granted it always had a lot of dough, the sauce is what sold it. But now, I can’t even recognize this anymore. The Old Man’s recipe has been diluted.

IMG_4556.jpeg

This was my first time at Lulu’s Pizza in Elmhurst, Queens. Right across the street from Queens Center Mall. They do have a couple of table and stools but it’s more of a grab and go pizza spot. They have a 2 regular slices and a can of soda or water “special” for $7. Pizza was okay, it’s slightly better than average. I won’t say that it’s how Grab and Go slices should taste because Lucia’s is grab and go and their pizza is 🔥. But if you’re at the mall, want a quick slice that isn’t Sbarros in the Food Court, it’s a good option. Or if you don’t feel like going to Gloria’s Pizza further down Queens Blvd.

Dude passing by saw me eating and asked how good was the pizza, I told him “It’s aight”. He told his boy “Let’s go, I’m not spending money on pizza if it’s just aight” 🤣 I felt a little guilty that I may have cost them some business 🤣
The Lulu's slices look pretty good. Sucks the other spot messed with their recipe resulting in an inferior product. You ever go to Mezze on Qnz Blvd? It's Kosher so automatic 0.0 from me, pizza can't be Kosher & be good, lol. I work for a Jewish company & know how wack Kosher pizza is firsthand. Glad you kept your review 💯 with the passerby's. Never give more credit than what is deserved.

Back
Top Bottom