***Official Political Discussion Thread***

Retired Joe is a hoot
Screenshot 2024-09-12 123708.png
This is serious stuff guys. It could flip the election :emoji_triumph:
Screenshot 2024-09-12 at 22.50.25.png

I hope that folks take this seriously, and I hope that you warn your families about this too.

Trump supporters will go there if they don't win. And cops will be watching, cheering, and participating.

The United States needs to address the issue of domestic terrorism and law enforcement being enablers for the extreme right.

I lean more towards him genuinely being this unhinged and delusional, particularly because many of his actions are roughly equally stupid and delusional than his words.

I think he has taken the idea that belief defines reality to its most absurd extreme. It’s axiomatic to him that if you can convince enough people that a thing is true, it is true. It’s been the basis of his entire career across all industries.

And, to be honest, it’s worked. He’s convinced enough professional bankers that his development projects have great cash flow that he’s always been able to secure financing. He convinced enough of middle America that he was a brilliant businessmen that they gave him a second life tuning into his show to hear his platitudes. And he’s convinced the GOP that he’s the answer so thoroughly that he’s captured the party. His projects got credit, he was a great business man, and he became the future of the Republican Party all through belief first.

For most of us, belief follows reality. We see a thing and we believe in it. For him it’s reverse. He spreads belief and it becomes real.

And somewhere along the line, it became easier to convince people if he believed it himself. Or maybe it begins cynically and turns sincere? Whatever the sequence, I agree that he mostly believes his own bs.

And he’s got this incredible web of reinforcing beliefs: he’s smart, he’s attractive; he’s savvy, he has great judgement… he’s a winner. Every time he’s forced to confront the possibility that any one of those is not true, his entire ego comes close to collapse. And the only way out of that hole is to double down on his entire fundamental framework for the world.

What’s insane to me is how successful he’s been with such an insanely crazy approach to life. It says something nasty about humanity, I think.

Back
Top Bottom