***Official Political Discussion Thread***

Perhaps, but I would not characterize the response like that.
Why wouldn't you? The U.S. has a little less than 5% of the world's population and is on top with the most cases and deaths. For comparison, Japan has a little less than half of the U.S.'s population and they're currently sitting at 20k cases with about 1k deaths.

All Trump really had to do was push people to wear masks and social distance, and we could be having some semblance of normal life right now.

All Trump really had to do was push people to wear masks and social distance, and we could be having some semblance of normal life right now.

This is the part that I don't think is true. And it probably colors my response.

This is the part that I don't think is true. And it probably colors my response.
You don’t feel like masks work

Or

You don’t feel like the president providing guidance to wear masks and have guidelines would work and actually wearing a mask in public more than once

i see you elpablo21 elpablo21 :nthat:
fire.jpg

You don't think masks plus social distancing would have greatly helped the current situation?

Surely you are aware that you shifted the question.

You said all Trump had to do.

The CDC early on weighed giving guidance to wear a mask prior to saying they were optional. All prior to making a recommendation to wear them.

Basically there are a lot of unknowns and it is evolving. To say all Trump had to do was x, back when the CDC was saying y, seems a bit ridiculous.

The administration did push for social distancing throughout and released guidelines with those task force briefings.

Was the administration's response perfect? Far from it. I just think disastrous is a bit far considering what was known at the time and the response.

I mean do you blame the mayor and governor of new york for the deaths in New York? Wouldn't it be a bit ridiculous for me to say all DeBlasio or Cuomo had to do was x and folks wouldn't have died?

Surely you are aware that you shifted the question.

You said all Trump had to do.

The CDC early on weighed giving guidance to wear a mask prior to saying they were optional. All prior to making a recommendation to wear them.

Basically there are a lot of unknowns and it is evolving. To say all Trump had to do was x, back when the CDC was saying y, seems a bit ridiculous.

The administration did push for social distancing throughout and released guidelines with those task force briefings.

Was the administration's response perfect? Far from it. I just think disastrous is a bit far considering what was known at the time and the response.

I mean do you blame the mayor and governor of new york for the deaths in New York? Wouldn't it be a bit ridiculous for me to say all DeBlasio or Cuomo had to do was x and folks wouldn't have died?
You giving vague responses and me asking questions to try to understand your vague responses isn't me shifting the question. There have been studies suggesting that mask wearing alone would have prevented tens of thousands of deaths.

It was back in late March or early April that the CDC finally recommended wearing masks. Since then Trump has continued to not wear a mask. He has held rallies that didn't enforce social distancing or mask wearing. I have not seen any Tweets where he urges people to wear masks. I haven't seen a public appearance where he urges people to wear masks. Him and Pence do not wear masks.

There are quite a few things that have never been unknowns that Trump ignored. It was never an unknown that the virus would rapidly spread. It was never an unknown that we needed medical equipment to deal with this. It was never an unknown that forcing a reopening without proper precautions would cause a spike in cases.

Can you explain more about why you think comparing DeBlasio/Cuomo makes sense? New York saw a huge number of cases when the pandemic started, and cases have been declining ever since.

You giving vague responses and me asking questions to try to understand your vague responses isn't me shifting the question. There have been studies suggesting that mask wearing alone would have prevented tens of thousands of deaths.

It was back in late March or early April that the CDC finally recommended wearing masks. Since then Trump has continued to not wear a mask. He has held rallies that didn't enforce social distancing or mask wearing. I have not seen any Tweets where he urges people to wear masks. I haven't seen a public appearance where he urges people to wear masks. Him and Pence do not wear masks.

There are quite a few things that have never been unknowns that Trump ignored. It was never an unknown that the virus would rapidly spread. It was never an unknown that we needed medical equipment to deal with this. It was never an unknown that forcing a reopening without proper precautions would cause a spike in cases.

Can you explain more about why you think comparing DeBlasio/Cuomo makes sense? New York saw a huge number of cases when the pandemic started, and cases have been declining ever since.

Because you were talking about the deaths. I think New York and New Jersey have the most coronavirus deaths. By far. The vast majority are in the North East. These are not states that go red.

You honestly think Trump wearing a mask would have reduced deaths in New York and New Jersey? Come on.

I think you are giving him way too much credit. Tons of folks don't wear a mask, and don't social distance, because they don't want to. Trump is not going to magically make people wear a mask and social distance--just like DeBlasio cant--just like Cuomo can't. He especially does not have that type of influence in the North east where the vast majority of coronavirus deaths have occurred.

The question was not whether mask and social distancing work. Obviously both have shown to be effective.

The question was whether trump wearing one would have had a significant influence on the death toll to this point. I just don't think your initial statement follows considering the locations of the majority of coronavirus deaths.

Like I said before, I think that there are many unknowns and the situation is evolving as we get more information.

Back
Top Bottom