***Official Political Discussion Thread***

Probably too late, but I'll take it.

dance-machine.gif

Once again I'm amazed, not shocked, but amazed at the number of people who think President Trump loves America. Like what has this man ever done that shows he loves the country? It couldn't be dodging service because of "bone spurs." It couldn't be doing nothing about Mr. Putin putting bounties on our warriors. I mean, this is a man who lived in a gold plated high rise and you think he cares about you. Get the hell out of here. He cares about nobody but himself.

Once again I'm amazed, not shocked, but amazed at the number of people who think President Trump loves America. Like what has this man ever done that shows he loves the country? It couldn't be dodging service because of "bone spurs." It couldn't be doing nothing about Mr. Putin putting bounties on our warriors. I mean, this is a man who lived in a gold plated high rise and you think he cares about you. Get the hell out of here. He cares about nobody but himself.
Ever seen him hugging the beloved and sacred flag? Ever seen him holding a bible with passion? When did Obama do any of these? I’ll wait

Are you by chance a Lib?

Qanon said Trump was the savior, put into office to save us from child sex trafficking. They said the government shutdown was so that the law enforcement agencies could grab high profile sex offenders without anyone knowing. Because suddenly all home surveillance in those neighborhoods would stop working to capture footage of someone like Bill Gates being taken away by feds.

Then started saying that the government shutdown was liberals trying to take down Trump and masks are for sheep. Then trump came out saying masks are cool.

Their savior came out saying he wishes well for Ghislaine, one of the biggest contributors to a sex trafficking ring. Need to change their names to QanonL because everything they say ends in an L

We couldn't even get a majority of Democrats to vote to bring the Military Budget back to 2016 levels. I suppose, in some ways Democrats do not want to get back to the Obama era. In this respect, they seem hellbent on preserving Trump's legacy.

This in the midst of pandemic and general austerity and with so many unmet human needs coming into such high relief.

Decades of neoliberal propaganda taught us that the state is inherently an inept entity which can only cause harm in people's lives if it "intervened" in the economy. We also taught that the economy is the sum of uncontrollable market forces, forces which needed to be placated and how it would be placated was up to a mystical and priestly cast of right wing economists who could understand but a fraction of the divine markets' wishes.

This framing served capital very well in the 2008-2009 financial crisis. The nature of the crash was mystified and not long after the crash and not long after the banks were made whole, we were told that everyone else had to try their best to weather the retribution of the market. If anything we were told such a calamity was a result of a lack of thrift, prudence, work ethic and skills on the part of the mass of people.

Before, during and after the crash, the truth was that the state picks winners and losers and it always has to some degree. The state has chosen for stable, middle income jobs to wither away. The state has chosen to deprive most public goods while gorging police departments. The state has chosen to make retail and restaurant work barely enough to survive on even in the best of times. All of these decisions are in service of capital. All of these decisions have been made as an intervention in the eternal class war, with the thumb of the state on the scale for capital. Wealth and power pools to the top and risk, taxation and the private provisioning of once tax payer funded service, pools downward.

Amid this prolonged and all encompassing humanitarian catastrophe, we can perhaps see the motive of the state and capital exposed and we can see their relation in the harsh light of day. Every decent economic forecast now is directly tied to when a given statutorial protection or aid package will lapse or run out of money. In more normal times, there is some amount of market forces at work, the relationship between the economy and the state is not one-to-one but it's still the case that if the state wants you to do well, you'll do well and if the state wants you to be poor, you will be poor. This pandemic has created a situation where economic outcomes are a direct function of every major as well as subtle movement of state politics.

If anything good can come of this situation, the economy will be demystified and from that knowledge, we can build revolutionary movements where we create an economy and a state that serves workers and not the other way around.

Back
Top Bottom