***Official Political Discussion Thread***

PEOPLE ACTUALLY BELIEVE THIS. That’s me haha-ing:

73CA180E-3DAC-45E6-87DD-53EE75319CC2.jpeg

So now Mitch happy with trump impeachment and planning to support it and reportedly 'Hates Trump' lmaooo.

This like the end of every movie when the bad guy bullies his smaller cohorts all through the story and then something happens when the boss gets shank smaller than his cronies and the cohorts are in a position of predator lmaooo. Happened in space jam. Happened in rockadoodle. Happened in Witches lol.

‘I’m putting cases on all you *****es’

I know it’s probably more of a discussion for another time, because right now we’re rightfully in the accountability phase of this. But I really wonder what systemic changes need to be made to stop this from happening again. After we hopefully mop up all of this ****, there can’t just be a breath of relief like ok we’re good again, when all of the same things that made this happen in the first place will be around and legal, for it to repeat itself. Mainly the streams of misinformation through right wing media and conspiracy peddlers. It’s just a confusing point when we know of the hypothetical slippery slope with infringing on free speech, but we’re also at a point where 35% of America lives in an alternate reality. And it’s a reality that can shift on a whim depending on what their cognitive dissonance, confirmation bias, and misinformation sources tell them.

I know it’s probably more of a discussion for another time, because right now we’re rightfully in the accountability phase of this. But I really wonder what systemic changes need to be made to stop this from happening again. After we hopefully mop up all of this ****, there can’t just be a breath of relief like ok we’re good again, when all of the same things that made this happen in the first place will be around and legal, for it to repeat itself. Mainly the streams of misinformation through right wing media and conspiracy peddlers. It’s just a confusing point when we know of the hypothetical slippery slope with infringing on free speech, but we’re also at a point where 35% of America lives in an alternate reality. And it’s a reality that can shift on a whim depending on what their cognitive dissonance, confirmation bias, and misinformation sources tell them.
I've been thinking about this all the time. I want fox news nerfed. But at the same time, I want a check and balance to the nerfing so one day right wing government can't interfere with msnbc, cnn, in the same way cuz it fits their agenda.

Censorship is certainly a slippery slope. I think that these arrests and eventual proportional sentences are the appropriate method to prevent others from acting on their beliefs.

In America, you’re free to believe absurd alternate realities, but when you act on them I think that’s where the deterrent impact of criminal proceedings comes into play.

Also, the best way to deal with dangerous ideologies (in my opinion) is to confront them directly. To challenge them. Sweeping them under the rug, with censorship, doesn’t change the underlying ideology.

Back
Top Bottom