Official Programming & Development Thread Vol. ASP.NET, C/C#/C++, HTML, Java, Etc.

[COLOR=#Red]Even has a built-in glossary. My advice is to download the apps while they are free for every language they provide. Even if you are an OG, it's still cool for reference and maintaining the basics. I imagine this will not be free forever and at least with the apps, once you have them it doesn't matter if they charge later.[/COLOR]

View media item 2013938

^Just downloaded all the apps. Thanks for the heads up will be giving them a try tomorrow!

[COLOR=#red]Just confirmed that at least on iOS the app works offline. Cool for those of us who don't have unlimited data, even though the data consumption would probably be minimal anyway. After using a few different top rated Java courses on Udemy, and the paid version of CodeAcdemy, and browsing some of the other resources listed in here, I can say that the depth and explanation of this app without it being overbearing is second to none. I was actually expecting it to be trash but was pleasantly surprised how they explain the same concepts I've already learned over and over in a much better way.[/COLOR]

Sup guys I just wanted to let everyone kno..I'm looking for a career change..never finished undergrad but was able to work my way up in the financial industry..I'm sick of the paper pushing so I thought about it for a while..and I went back to school a little while ago..thinking I wanted to do accounting..tried it and not feeling it at all..so I was thinking of maybe doing a bootcamp of some sorts..but I feel I should lay the foundations and get a degree in computer science..I'm now back in school..and I'm super super excited..never felt this way in college before..always felt a little lost not sure what I wanted to do..I'm enrolled in my local CC..with hopes of transferring to a 4 yr school which has a great CS program..I still gotta take Calc I, II, III, linear algebra lol

while I'm in school I'm gonna practice coding on my own..prolly start out with Python and Java ..once in comfortable move on to other languages

I think I'll eventually go to a bootcamp..some well known one..but def getting the degree first

IMO there is 0 point to do a bootcamp and a degree. The bootcamp teaches you how to code and the degree teaches you how to code as well. If you already know how to code why would you want to take a bootcamp course?

Last edited:
If you're doing college and coding in your free time why waste time and money on a bootcamp? Doing personal projects will help you more than a bootcamp will.

Im hearing the interviews are tough..they just give u problems and u have to explain on how u solved them..CS teaches you theory but it is not all programming..it was only an idea just so I would be a little more acclimated with a variety of languages..I don't see how learning more could be bad at all

Anyway only time will tell if I will invest in a bootcamp

Im hearing the interviews are tough..they just give u problems and u have to explain on how u solved them..CS teaches you theory but it is not all programming..it was only an idea just so I would be a little more acclimated with a variety of languages..I don't see how learning more could be bad at all

Anyway only time will tell if I will invest in a bootcamp
There are a lot of resources to study for interviews: Cracking the Coding Interview, HackerRank, and LeetCode are just a few. 

Yeah like Boris said those are great resources for doing well in technical interviews. The degree does prepare you for technical interviews, because you will be asked theory questions and to write code on paper/white board. CS degrees teach you theory and programming, literally 90% of your coursework is programming assignments.  If this weren't the case then CS degree holders would be attending boot camps after graduation to learn how to program, that isn't happening. I don't know a single person that has done that to get a job.

I'm making the career change very soon, and I have a restored passion that started in High School.

Has anyone in here used a bootcamp? Which would you recommend? Which to avoid?

Any personal experiences?

:nerd:

I'm making the career change very soon, and I have a restored passion that started in High School.

Has anyone in here used a bootcamp? Which would you recommend? Which to avoid?

Any personal experiences?

:nerd:

I can personally vouch for Udacity and Treehouse, but I haven't had much experience with other bootcamps/programs unfortunately.

I want to work with Oracle. I met an Oracle guy at a agency-wide meeting ONCE in April 2015. Said hello, shook his hand, asked him a couple questions, told him I'm interested, and sent him an email as follow up... Never heard back. He randomly emailed me in January to ask if I was still interested. It turns out they can't get any qualified candidates for their mid-level Oracle DBA positions and, in management's desparation for qualified DBA's, they might be willing to overlook the experience requirements and let me "intern" as a DBA while I'm working as an analyst in a hybrid role.

Still have to talk it over with management (and I'm definitely not touching Oracle without a raise,) but ya boy might be a legit DBA soon

Be careful what you wish for:

View media item 2210045
:lol:

Last edited:
Lots of php script talk on this recent Yezzy releas, thought this might need to get some shine.

Lots of php script talk on this recent Yezzy releas, thought this might need to get some shine.

Tried using the script but I'm not an administrator on my mac even though there's only one user account on it. Not sure how to get around it besides enabling the root user account which I don't want to do since I might mess up something.

Tried using the script but I'm not an administrator on my mac even though there's only one user account on it. Not sure how to get around it besides enabling the root user account which I don't want to do since I might mess up something.

Enabling the root user won't mess anything up...unless you log in as root and mess something up. Root is just a user that can make any operating system level change. You can make your default account an administrator if you want, it won't change anything unless you choose to do something weird. While running a bot script might be dangerous for other reasons, changing your permissions to allow you to run them is perfectly safe.

For future reference: http://m.wikihow.com/Become-an-Administrator-on-a-Mac

Enabling the root user won't mess anything up...unless you log in as root and mess something up. Root is just a user that can make any operating system level change. You can make your default account an administrator if you want, it won't change anything unless you choose to do something weird. While running a bot script might be dangerous for other reasons, changing your permissions to allow you to run them is perfectly safe.

For future reference: http://m.wikihow.com/Become-an-Administrator-on-a-Mac

I messed up when I said I'm not the administrator. I am the administrator under the users panel but I don't have the ability to unlock everything...if that makes sense. I tried the root user right now and that didn't seem to work. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204012

Not sure if you've used the script but here's the error I get. I asked and someone suggested using the sudo command but that's risky. I also tried logging in as a root user but that is a no go. I'll just have to use sudo once I feel comfortable I guess.

View media item 2238621

I messed up when I said I'm not the administrator. I am the administrator under the users panel but I don't have the ability to unlock everything...if that makes sense. I tried the root user right now and that didn't seem to work. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204012

Not sure if you've used the script but here's the error I get. I asked and someone suggested using the sudo command but that's risky. I also tried logging in as a root user but that is a no go. I'll just have to use sudo once I feel comfortable I guess.

View media item 2238621
What makes you think using the sudo command to run your script is "risky"?

If you don't know what you're doing, you do need to use some caution if you're using it while editing crucial system files. But if all you're doing is adding 127.0.0.1 dev.adidas.com to your hosts file there's really nothing to worry about. And I'm assuming you'll be copy/pasting any other commands from solemartyr's guide so using sudo on those is fine too.

Last edited:
What makes you think using the sudo command to run your script is "risky"?

If you don't know what you're doing, you do need to use some caution if you're using it while editing crucial system files. But if all you're doing is adding 127.0.0.1 dev.adidas.com to your hosts file there's really nothing to worry about. And I'm assuming you'll be copy/pasting any other commands from solemartyr's guide so using sudo on those is fine too.

I've never used it before and which is my main concern but you're right, I just have to be cautious about what I'm doing. I haven't been able to find a tutorial on how to do it besides this. Noticed that there are many different sudo commands for different operations, not sure which is the correct command for what I want to do. Is there a sudo for dummies I can find somewhere? I'm a newbie at this stuff so please excuse the questions.

^ Are you following a guide to set up your script?

If you're copy/pasting a command and it's giving you a permission error, just add "sudo " in front of it and proceed normally. That's all you need to do.

Think of it like driving a friend's car. You don't have the keys but you know how to drive. Once you get the keys you'll drive a little bit more carefully, but really everything is the same as if you were driving your own car.

If the command is your friend's car, sudo is the keys.

Last edited:
^ Are you following a guide to set up your script?

If you're copy/pasting a command and it's giving you a permission error, just add "sudo " in front of it and proceed normally. That's all you need to do.

Think of it like driving a friend's car. You don't have the keys but you know how to drive. Once you get the keys you'll drive a little bit more carefully, but really everything is the same as if you were driving your own car.

If the command is your friend's car, sudo is the keys.

That makes more sense, thanks for the explanation. Yes he has a step by step guide on the script. So I added the sudo command in front and it asked me for my password. I enter the password I use to log in and it's incorrect. I try the password I used to set-up the root user and that is also incorrect. This is weird, do I need to set up the sudo command password prior to using it?

The apple site says to use the administrators password.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202035

^ Not sure why that would be happening. I believe it should be the password for the account you're currently signed in to. Try resetting the password and making a new one?

Back
Top Bottom