Official Programming & Development Thread Vol. ASP.NET, C/C#/C++, HTML, Java, Etc.

Used a Udemy course to learn the fundamentals of AngularJS.  I cant believe I'm just now learning this smh.  Makes developing SPAs(Single Page Applications) so easy 
mean.gif
did you watch the one by tony alicea? angular is part of the stack at my job and that one is a pretty good primer

Used a Udemy course to learn the fundamentals of AngularJS.  I cant believe I'm just now learning this smh.  Makes developing SPAs(Single Page Applications) so easy 
mean.gif
did you watch the one by tony alicea? angular is part of the stack at my job and that one is a pretty good primer
I did the one with Dan Wahlin.  I'll check out the Tony Alicea one

Finished jQuery yesterday btw.
Good stuff man!!
Thanks.

Good news. I've just gotten my first web dev job.

My GF mom runs a school in Haiti. Her tech guy said they had a website. Turns out not only is there no website, the school doesn't even own the domain they put on their contact info. So I asked her if she would like me to take a stab at. She was like yea. I have complete control over implementation and design so my hands aren't tied at all. The only thing she needs to do is give me content. She knows I'm an inexperienced/novice programmer so she's allowing me to make mistakes and perform site maintenance as I become more skilled.

Last edited:
Thanks.

My GF mom runs a school in Haiti. Her tech guy said they had a website. Turns out not only is there no website, the school doesn't even own the domain they put on their contact info. So I asked her if she would like me to take a stab at. She was like yea. I have complete control over implementation and design so my hands aren't tied at all. The only thing she needs to do is give me content. She knows I'm an inexperienced/novice programmer so she's allowing me to make mistakes and perform site maintenance as I become more skilled.

He juuged the hell out of the school for a check.

I just signed up for a UX Bootcamp
Dope. Good luck, I here these coding bootcamps are quite intense.

Also for any people in the NY area, there's a non profit called C4Q - Coalition for Queens, that offers a 9 month intensive coding bootcamp for those of all education levels who earn less than 45k a year. It's free.

Thanks.

He's entirely incompetent but so is the director of the school, when it comes to technology at least. GF Mom's best friend and partner runs the school day to day because she's still in Haiti but she refuses to learn modern tech skills so she got played.

Last edited:
Any advice anyone can offer?
Has anyone in here managed to work 50+ hours a week, and learn/master programming languages?
Is Java, still the language most people recommend learning/understanding first before learning others?

Any other resources, and tips you can offer is very much appreciated.

There are 24 hours in a day. Thats 1440 minutes, 86400 seconds. You can only do so much in that amount of time, and being in one of the most work intensive fields doesn't help. 50 hours a week as an accountant is different from 50 hours a week as a cashier; I'm guessing that you're mentally exhausted at the end of your work days, which is probably the biggest reason why you can only find time to work on the weekends. Your current profession comes with its own set of unique stresses, so don't over extend yourself.

Is your current supervisor or team lead supportive of you making the switch? It might be worth mentioning it to them as a way to ask for a little more breathing room. Are you willing to change jobs? Because if the answer to the last question was no, changing jobs might be one of the only ways to get the time you need in order to practice with programming, short of leaving your job all together to focus on studying full time.

You can't realistically work above full time in the type of field you work in and still expect to be able to learn and retain info after work. Something has to give - look for other ways to make time. Even if its something like showering and laying your clothes out at night to save you 20-30 minutes in the morning, that's 20-30 minutes of study time you otherwise would not have had. Remember, when it comes to learning, 30 minutes every day of the week is much more effective than 5 or 10 hour sessions on the weekends.

Thanks.

He's entirely incompetent but so is the director of the school, when it comes to technology at least. GF Mom's best friend and partner runs the school day to day because she's still in Haiti but she refuses to learn modern tech skills so she got played.

I know this sounds like an amazing opportunity for you, but please, for the love of god, do not get too comfortable there. If you have an incompetent director, it can and will trickle down to your responsibilities. Finish the task, work to the best of your abilities, but please do not plan on or allow yourself to become that school's tech person unless things change with the administration. People like that will make your life a living hell, especially if you are the sole proprietor.

Last edited:
Getting my local FCC groups Code-N-Coffee back up and running. First one of the year is tomorrow, going to do some pair coding on our maps and discuss projects that we can complete as a group. I'm going to try to facilitate and run PM on them for the experience but also just play a small dev role for that experience.

Any advice anyone can offer?
Has anyone in here managed to work 50+ hours a week, and learn/master programming languages?
Is Java, still the language most people recommend learning/understanding first before learning others?

Any other resources, and tips you can offer is very much appreciated.
There are 24 hours in a day. Thats 1440 minutes, 86400 seconds. You can only do so much in that amount of time, and being in one of the most work intensive fields doesn't help. 50 hours a week as an accountant is different from 50 hours a week as a cashier; I'm guessing that you're mentally exhausted at the end of your work days, which is probably the biggest reason why you can only find time to work on the weekends. Your current profession comes with its own set of unique stresses, so don't over extend yourself.

Is your current supervisor or team lead supportive of you making the switch? It might be worth mentioning it to them as a way to ask for a little more breathing room. Are you willing to change jobs? Because if the answer to the last question was no, changing jobs might be one of the only ways to get the time you need in order to practice with programming, short of leaving your job all together to focus on studying full time.

You can't realistically work above full time in the type of field you work in and still expect to be able to learn and retain info after work. Something has to give - look for other ways to make time. Even if its something like showering and laying your clothes out at night to save you 20-30 minutes in the morning, that's 20-30 minutes of study time you otherwise would not have had. Remember, when it comes to learning, 30 minutes every day of the week is much more effective than 5 or 10 hour sessions on the weekends.

Thanks.

I know this sounds like an amazing opportunity for you, but please, for the love of god, do not get too comfortable there. If you have an incompetent director, it can and will trickle down to your responsibilities. Finish the task, work to the best of your abilities, but please do not plan on or allow yourself to become that school's tech person unless things change with the administration. People like that will make your life a living hell, especially if you are the sole proprietor.
Absolutely. As far as I know GF Mom is the superior partner of the two and the only one actively involved in the project. Since she's given me carte-blanche I feel confident to be able to get in and get out. No contracts have been officially made (i know i know CYA) so if anyone, GF mom included tries to micro manage I can walk away from the project (for now at least). I am considering after initially finishing the website project, having them contract site maintenance to me as it would be reliable side income.

MbjLD2C.png

Can I get an assist on what I seem to be off on?

Can include implementation file as well if necessary. 

@Jay Patt you figured out the error right?
Yeah I did, one sec can tell you what I did.

auji2u.jpg

Im not sure why it threw the initial error 100% yet but it seems as if initializing all the variables in the default constructor seems to have cleared it.

Im guessing that being the default constructor, it needs initialization to fully construct? My simple hypothesis
laugh.gif

This is why I prefer Java. C++ aint bad tho. 

Caught the unnecessary <iomanip> call too from this screen, thanks

Last edited:
Man i've fallen in love with Python.

Java is coo, hate C++.....

But Python is so damn smooth and fun to write. I could definitely do this for a living.

Writing scripts to automate my workflow.

I highly recommend the book "Automate the Boring Stuff" by Al Sweigart if you're interested in it.

Last edited:
Scripting is cool, and extremely useful.

I think of everything in my life in terms of scripts, "How can I automate this or remove the time consuming portions?"

Man i've fallen in love with Python.

Java is coo, hate C++.....

But Python is so damn smooth and fun to write. I could definitely do this for a living.

Writing scripts to automate my workflow.

I highly recommend the book "Automate the Boring Stuff" by Al Sweigart if you're interested in it.

yup, I dont have any classes this summer so I plan on working on finishing up the Python classes on FCC, getting my Scrum Product Owner Cert, and my ITIL Cert. I may focus on some Vendor IT Certs and learning some DevOps tools come next yr.

[COLOR=#Red]Holy wow!! I think I have stumbled upon one of the best programming tutorials since I started learning...and it's 100% free with absolutely no in app purchases.

It's available on iOS, Android, and on the web. It's called Sololearn. I'm usi It on my iPAD, and I cannot believe the clarity of the instruction and interactivity. It's more specific than CodeAcademy, yet not too far off in the weeds where it becomes too tedious. Even on iOS it has an IDE-like "Code Playground" where you can practice code...complete with a specialized iOS keyboard with hotkeys for () [] {} ; ((o)) :lol: and other commonly used characters. I like how you are quizzed directly after each mini-lesson as well. They have a robust explanation message board as well, to help explain the trickier concepts. The web version even has videos, and it's all 100% free with no paywalls. They have tutorials for Java, HTML, CSS, JS, Python, Swift, PHP, SQL, and one more I think. I'll post screenshots next post. [/COLOR]

Back
Top Bottom