Official Raptors Season Thread [41-41]

^ I agree man. It seems that its not really Andrea's game to be stuck on the outside. He can (stressing can) be a great shooter at times, but when forcedto stick outside, he has no choice but to throw up them shots, because Bosh is the "force down low".

I keep saying that we have to give Andrea more time, but ive said it for a long enough period of time. Im starting to get a bit anxious about him.

Lets just hope this win against Detroit sparks a winning streak. We have to avoid Detroit or Boston in the first round at all costs.

In a perfect world are offense would be better off with chris at the high post and Bargnani on the low block.

Also, is it just me or is OJ Mayo a perfect fit for the raptors at 2 gaurd?

Havent seen OJ play too much this year, but from what I have seen, yes.
However, were not going to get that kind of pick, unless we tank like nobody's business.

Unless....

Primoz Brezec/Joey Graham/Derrick Martin/Maceo Baston for the #2 pick?
laugh.gif

As for Bosh/Bargs situation, I totally agree. I dont understand why Sam doesnt use them in a high low situation. Does he not realize that both can hit the 17footer, and both have a good mix of strength and quickness on the block (more quickness than strength). Its not like if Andrea goes down on the block he willget thrown around. Dude can hold his own down there. I tell ya, if we put that into effect where its Bosh and Bargs down low, withJamario/Parker/Delfino/Jose/TJ/Kapono on the wings and point, look out.

We have the players to succeed on O, no question about it.

Defence however, is another story. We still miss that dominant big that can pull damn near 12 boards a game for us. As well, we need a precence down low fordefensive purposes. Yes, I said that Andrea can hold his own down on the block. But thats on O. We all know that Andrea can play smart on O, and has a varietyof moves he can use from 12 feet and in. However, on D on the block (I am going to stress the block), he lacks that "dominant force" that we need.Andrea is a great wing defender. He moves his feet better than many people think. But on the block, thats where we can be exploited.

Just my little rant. Bored as hell in class, and still kind of pumped about the win last night against Detroit.

But yes, I agree with the perfect offense being Bargs at the 5, and playing solely at the 5, Bosh at 4, Apollo at 3, Parker/Delfino at 2, Jose (and only Jose)at 1.

And btw, I think Delfino is the league leader on outlandish missed dunks all season. Dude has thrown two from recent memory that hit back rim, and flew 48thousand feet in the air.

laugh.gif
I cant help but laugh.

Someone tell me who the hell is Linton Johnson.

Raptors Sign Linton Johnson, Waive Darrick Martin

johnson150sunsrelease.jpg
(March 27, 2008) -- The Toronto Raptors announced Thursday they have signed forward Linton Johnson to a 10-day contract and waived guard Darrick Martin.

Johnson, 6-foot-8, 205 pounds, has appeared in 139 career regular season NBA games, averaging 4.1 points, 3.5 rebounds and 14.7 minutes. He has spent time with Chicago, San Antonio, New Jersey, New Orleans and Phoenix. He averaged a career-best 5.3 points, 4.3 rebounds and 18.1 minutes with New Orleans during the 2005-06 season.

Johnson, 27, was a teammate of current Raptor Rasho Nesterovic on San Antonio's 2005 NBA Championship team. He has also played in the Continental Basketball Association with the Rockford Lightning (2004) and in Spain as a member of Tau Ceramica (2007).

This season Johnson appeared in six games with Phoenix after signing consecutive 10-day contracts with the club on February 22 and March 4. He averaged 2.5 points, 2.2 rebounds and 8.8 minutes. He had a high of six points in nine minutes versus Memphis on March 11.

A four-year athlete at Tulane University, Johnson averaged 6.7 points and 4.9 rebounds in 107 career games. He went undrafted after posting averages of 9.0 points and 6.5 rebounds as a senior during the 2001-02 season.

Martin had seen action in 17 games this season with the Raptors, averaging 1.6 points, 1.2 assists and 8.3 minutes.

Johnson will be available to the team Friday when the Raptors play host to the New York Knicks at Air Canada Centre. Game time is 7 p.m. (Raptors NBA TV/FAN 590)

the raps current placing could maybe nab them hasheem thabeet or r. lopez in the draft.

so as long as they make the playoffs im fine with it.

i honestly didn't think there was a second round in the raps future this season anyway.

Meh, no real comment.

However, I hope there was a pre-arranged deal so that Derrick can stay on the coaching staff.

Originally Posted by Clutchshooter

the raps current placing could maybe nab them hasheem thabeet or r. lopez in the draft.

so as long as they make the playoffs im fine with it.

i honestly didn't think there was a second round in the raps future this season anyway.

A player like Thabeet would look great in a Raps uniform, but why would Colangelo want him? He can play defense, he can rebound, he isn't soft, hedoesn't jack up 3's...clearly he's not the type of player that fits our needs.

Seriously though, I think there's an 85% chance that Colangelo drafts a SG/SF with our 1st round pick because he still believes that Bargnani is theteam's centre of the future.

Bargnani, Bosh and Calderon or Ford are going to be our starters in the long run. BC basically has 2 holes to fill in the starting lineup.

A player like Thabeet would look great in a Raps uniform, but why would Colangelo want him? He can play defense, he can rebound, he isn't soft, he doesn't jack up 3's...clearly he's not the type of player that fits our needs.

laugh.gif
nice one.

Originally Posted by BallinBoykz

Meh, no real comment.

However, I hope there was a pre-arranged deal so that Derrick can stay on the coaching staff.

He will...
http://www.thestar.com/Sports/NBA/article/404842
New Rap in town

Mar 28, 2008 04:30 AM

Dave Feschuk

It's an interesting coincidence that Linton Johnson, the newest Raptor, was born on the same day as Jamario Moon, the Raptors rookie. Both players are 6-foot-8 veterans of the bus leagues who went unplucked in the NBA draft. Both were born June 13, 1980. And in the coming days there surely will be yet more overlap in their resumes.

With Moon and his fellow denizens of the Toronto wing struggling to find their form with 11 games until the playoffs, Johnson's arrival on a 10-day contract, it's safe to say, is designed to raise both locker-room eyebrows and sagging games.

"We thought it would be a nice way to light a fire by bringing in a new player," said Bryan Colangelo, the Toronto general manager.

Johnson's signing was made possible by Darrick Martin's exit from the uniformed roster. But Martin, the 37-year-old point guard who has established himself as a respected locker-room mentor, will remain with the club as a player development consultant after he clears waivers.

Good. Im glad Derrick has a spot with the team. He should really just stick with the player development position for a long while.

We need to get a good string of games together before playoffs.

watching this hornets game....if any of you people are sam mitchelle fans then i seriously dont know how the hell u can be a fan of basketball, hes the mostmoronic coach ive ever had to watch coach an nba game. He makes a good team look bad, the raptors dont get pissed off when thier down 20 i mean come on light afire under thier +%*%!, as a coach hype your players up.

Originally Posted by gee1der

watching this hornets game....if any of you people are sam mitchelle fans then i seriously dont know how the hell u can be a fan of basketball, hes the most moronic coach ive ever had to watch coach an nba game. He makes a good team look bad, the raptors dont get pissed off when thier down 20 i mean come on light a fire under thier +%*%!, as a coach hype your players up.

Trust me, no one here is a Sam Mitchell fan except for maybe BallinBoyz(
laugh.gif
jk).

We know he's one of the worst coaches in the NBA but he just signed an extension so we're out of luck for 2 more years.
Once again, you'vegot to love the Jason KRAPono signing. 0 pts in his last 3 games coming into tonight, 0 pts in 20 mins as a starter vs. the Hornets
sick.gif

I have said it for a while, I have supported Sam for a long time. But he is starting to sway my opinion. Things are going bad FAST. Even Leo was saying, yougotta do these things, and do them now. Leo knows basketball. He would be a great coach for the team. Sam, he has emotion, but doesnt show it as much as heshould.

I am getting very nervous about this year. I think its a first round exit for us. Only way we win games is if Bosh goes for 40, which he cant do every night.

One MAJOR factor is our D. It is beyond crap. How do you allow 68 points in a half? Sure, they are the number one team in the west, but we have to be able tokeep up with these guys! We have beat some good teams, but the only way we beat them is if we play very good D. Tonight isnt one of those nights, and its veryfrustrating to see.

Im glad the crowd finally got into it and started booing the Raptors. Hopefully that lights a fire under Sam and the rest of the guys.

Originally Posted by Carlos Tevez

Originally Posted by gee1der

watching this hornets game....if any of you people are sam mitchelle fans then i seriously dont know how the hell u can be a fan of basketball, hes the most moronic coach ive ever had to watch coach an nba game. He makes a good team look bad, the raptors dont get pissed off when thier down 20 i mean come on light a fire under thier +%*%!, as a coach hype your players up.

Trust me, no one here is a Sam Mitchell fan except for maybe BallinBoyz(
laugh.gif
jk).

We know he's one of the worst coaches in the NBA but he just signed an extension so we're out of luck for 2 more years.
Once again, you've got to love the Jason KRAPono signing. 0 pts in his last 3 games coming into tonight, 0 pts in 20 mins as a starter vs. the Hornets
sick.gif
Yeah, alot of Raps fans know my opinion on Sam. I have liked him in the past, but I have never believed that he is the coach to take us to the promisedland. I have tried to support him, and when we started the season off on the wrong foot, I started to call for his head. But this has gone far enough. Eitherhe turns things around NOW, or I think he has to go.

see i cant get mad at kapono cause he can play. problem is hes on a team that doesnt play into his strengths. Look at chris paul, hes playing into pejas gamethats a point guard right there, he doesnt waste his movements, all of them have a purpose...unlike tj ford...

^ YES! SOMEONE ELSE SEE'S IT! Thank you!

Sorry, as VCisking knows, I am not a fan whatsoever of TJ Ford

yea problem is tj ford is talented as hell, i dont know why he thinks he needs to dribble that much, it makes me cry. In all honesty, his game reminds me ofchris paul minus the shooting, the big if not HUGE difference is chris paul is in control of his body 90% of the time, ford on teh other hand at times lookslike hes having a siezure with the damn ball.

soooo turns out they can play defence if they feel like it. Mitchelle substitutions are ******ed.

Trade TJ on draft night to get OJ Mayo.

OJ is a tough player, plays good defense, he wont have to play point guard and he rebounds well for his position.

Who would go for that trade?

We would have to throw someone else in there, like Parker. I would hate, HATE to see him go.

Only reason why TJ is un-tradeable is because of his injury record. ONLY reason. And that reason alone is the why no team wants him. Let alone the reason thathe is a ball hog
wink.gif

Ford > Calderon

Sign and trade Calderon to Miami and they should do the same with Marion for us.

T.J. and Mike James? Wow. I know T.J. gets a bit shot happy but there wasn't one time where I thought that he was doing it for himself and not for the teamto win.

laugh.gif
I know I go overboard. Its all jokes... at least for a bit. Just when he gets shot happy, its... frustrating, to say the least
laugh.gif

Dude has the assets to be a very, VERY good player. He just has to make the right decisions.

I know Miami would never do that sign and trade... but if they did,
eek.gif

Well, that was one of the most frustrating months as a Raptors fan. Thank God I had to spend lots of time with school, because if I didnt, I would have brokenfour remotes, and both my fists punching a wall.

6-11 that month. At least, on the positive side of things, we got these bad losses out of the way.

The biggest problem I see happening is our perimiter and inside D. The guys are always in the right spot to make the play, but they just follow up and donteven try to make a stop, or get a hand up, grab the ball, etc.
Our O will come. Our D needs immediate help if we want to win a few playoff games.

But again, thank God we got those losses out of the way. Hopefully we can go on a streak to end the season off well.

CHEA!

Back
Top Bottom