:::[Official] San Francisco 49ers 2024 Season Thread [1-1 @Rams 9/22 1:25PST]:::

Should UnicornHunter’s faithful card be revoked for his blasphemous Patrick Willis comments?

• Yes permanently

Votes: 31 79.5%
  • Yes temporarily

Votes: 5 12.8%
  • No

Votes: 3 7.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'll agree that on paper Lance is on a better roster. But he's got no running game to rely on. You can argue that he is the running game. Which further cements my position in sitting him because I do not want our future franchise QB suffering any unnecessary major injuries.

There is zero evidence that running/mobile QBs suffer more injuries than pocket QBs bro. Zero.

Peter King was on the radio a couple hours ago and he literally said that if Fields was playing on the 49ers, he would expect him to look substantially better than he did this weekend.
Zero evidence this is true bro. zero

you know I’m playing :lol:. It’s all conjecture till it’s played out on the field bros. And feeling more attached to opinions that mesh with your own is just natural.

My brothers relax his time will come sooner obviously rather than later if Jimmy struggles with inconsistencies. Kyle and the coaching staff know best.

When they release him to the world let’s remember to be objective. He just turned 21 years old and is a raw talent. The speed of the game will take some adjusting for him.

Aside from the TD pass to Sherfield in the preseason, what has he shown to anyone that he is ready to supplant Jimmy? Because from what I saw, he looked completely lost. We are going to lose a lot more games this year if we throw Lance to the wolves. Also, just to remind everyone, tanking this season will not get us anywhere. We do not have our first round picks next year or the year after. So what happens if we get a shellshocked rookie QB like Justin Fields who develops happy feet and becomes paranoid of the opposing pass rush? We're stuck with him at minimum for the next 3 years before we have another 1st round pick. For this season, I'd rather take the lumps with Jimmy.
Well, one he showed the ability to throw a deep accurate pass. But, he played as I expected him to play with a rotating 1st, 2nd and 3rd string offense. I feel like those preseason games somewhat prepared him to make the few good plays he has made so far in the regular season. Yes, the plays were arguably easy, but would Jimmy make them fresh off the bench like Trey? Idk...Also, speaking on what someone has shown; other than experience, what has Jimmy shown this season to argue that he is better for the team now than Trey? Actually, what is Jimmy better at than Trey? Just like Kyle, we as fans have been protecting Jimmy's play for too long now. He do 2 things good out of 10 and we defend him to the end. If not for the yac bros, how many yards would he actually average per game...

Do you seriously not see the difference between starting on a **** team with a terrible offensive line, limited weapons and an awful playcaller and starting on this 49er team? Peter King was on the radio a couple hours ago and he literally said that if Fields was playing on the 49ers, he would expect him to look substantially better than he did this weekend.
To use your own argument against you, there is zero evidence of this. Zero.
There is zero evidence that running/mobile QBs suffer more injuries than pocket QBs bro. Zero.
By your counterargument logic there's no evidence of anything because there's no scientifc approach to how one would execute a defensive maneuver to purposefully injure an opponent. So let's just throw **** at the wall and see what sticks, right?

RG3 blew out his knee scrambling and never regained form. Dak suffered one of the most gruesome leg injuries by scrambling. Kaepernick suffered a torn labrum and ligaments in his thumb. Carson Wentz also blew out his knee scrambling. Tony Romo suffered a broken back scrambling and never played another down. Matt Stafford suffered a fractured back trying to buy time in 2018. Aaron Rodgers tore his calf scrambling in 2014.

Well, one he showed the ability to throw a deep accurate pass. But, he played as I expected him to play with a rotating 1st, 2nd and 3rd string offense. I feel like those preseason games somewhat prepared him to make the few good plays he has made so far in the regular season. Yes, the plays were arguably easy, but would Jimmy make them fresh off the bench like Trey? Idk...Also, speaking on what someone has shown; other than experience, what has Jimmy shown this season to argue that he is better for the team now than Trey? Actually, what is Jimmy better at than Trey? Just like Kyle, we as fans have been protecting Jimmy's play for too long now. He do 2 things good out of 10 and we defend him to the end. If not for the yac bros, how many yards would he actually average per game...
One pass. ONE PASS. That's your entire argument.

I can see the arguments for both sides tbh. The reason I’d be in favor of starting Trey right now is because we are so limited without a running game. With every RB injured, and Kyles lack of trust in Sermon and Jimmy throwing deep, we need another dimension. Lance could create that other dimension this team is lacking right now, which would help the passing game.

One pass. ONE PASS. That's your entire argument.
I guess you were prepared to respond with that because that wasn't my argument at all. For one, I don't necessarily judge players (qbs) based on preseason play because you are typically not playing with your best and not playing against the other teams best. But that throw was more of a show of Treys ability and not who he was playing against or with. My true argument is, Jimmy has not done enough to solidify his spot as the starting qb. The best way to see what he has is to let him play now or at least more. If he crumbles, then put Jimmy back in. If Jimmy gets bitter and decides he doesn't want to play, then so be it. But the reality is, he is going to lose his spot at some point. Why delay it? I am sure Kyle can figure out how to hide Treys flaws as much as he has hidden Jimmy's. Hell, his ability to do so is what tricked teams to want to sign Nick Mullens. But hey, if Jimmy starts playing great and lead them to the playoffs and or SB because of his play, then I will glady eat crow. I just want them to win, and just unfortunately don't see it if they have to rely on Jimmy making plays.

I can see the arguments for both sides tbh. The reason I’d be in favor of starting Trey right now is because we are so limited without a running game. With every RB injured, and Kyles lack of trust in Sermon and Jimmy throwing deep, we need another dimension. Lance could create that other dimension this team is lacking right now, which would help the passing game.

You pretty much summed up what my thoughts are. Yes, Trey may be inexperienced and all of that and may fail, or he may be good, we don't know.. what we do know is that without a consistent running game, Jimmy isn't going to get it done with his arm or legs. I saw in person how the Packers were just a little flustered when Trey got in. They weren't sure if the 49ers were running or throwing. You could tell that they didn't really know how to defend him.

To use your own argument against you, there is zero evidence of this. Zero.
By your counterargument logic there's no evidence of anything because there's no scientifc approach to how one would execute a defensive maneuver to purposefully injure an opponent. So let's just throw **** at the wall and see what sticks, right?

RG3 blew out his knee scrambling and never regained form. Dak suffered one of the most gruesome leg injuries by scrambling. Kaepernick suffered a torn labrum and ligaments in his thumb. Carson Wentz also blew out his knee scrambling. Tony Romo suffered a broken back scrambling and never played another down. Matt Stafford suffered a fractured back trying to buy time in 2018. Aaron Rodgers tore his calf scrambling in 2014.
Cmon, let’s agree that anything can happen playing football. Peyton with the neck, Rodgers collar bone, Brees ribs, Alex Smith’s leg doesn’t matter if you’re a runner or not if you end up on the wrong side of a big hit, and all those dude caught those while being seasoned vets.

I do feel bad harping on Jimmy when our weak secondary, lackluster pass rush and underwhelming rush attack cost us the game. I guess it’s because I don’t see our defense getting any better until some of the IR guys come back that I’m focused on scoring.

I guess you were prepared to respond with that because that wasn't my argument at all. For one, I don't necessarily judge players (qbs) based on preseason play because you are typically not playing with your best and not playing against the other teams best. But that throw was more of a show of Treys ability and not who he was playing against or with. My true argument is, Jimmy has not done enough to solidify his spot as the starting qb. The best way to see what he has is to let him play now or at least more. If he crumbles, then put Jimmy back in. If Jimmy gets bitter and decides he doesn't want to play, then so be it. But the reality is, he is going to lose his spot at some point. Why delay it? I am sure Kyle can figure out how to hide Treys flaws as much as he has hidden Jimmy's. Hell, his ability to do so is what tricked teams to want to sign Nick Mullens. But hey, if Jimmy starts playing great and lead them to the playoffs and or SB because of his play, then I will glady eat crow. I just want them to win, and just unfortunately don't see it if they have to rely on Jimmy making plays.
We all want to win now, we all just disagree on how the team should go about it. But replacing Jimmy and going with Trey but going back to Jimmy if Trey stinks it up is the absolute worst way to go about it. Kyle will look incompetent, like a sideshow, and he'll lose the locker room taking this route. The '88 team told Bill Walsh that he had to make a choice, he could not continue to flip flop between Joe and Steve on a weekly basis. It sent mixed signals and uncertainty to the entire team. So he ultimately went with Joe.

I just wanna know how the F the Rams are able to have the highest paid DT and CB in the game, 2 WRs being paid $15 million plus, and Matthew Stafford while our front office scrambling the books worried about the extension negotiations with Bosa after this season. What type of salary cap voodoo is going on in SoCal. Are we still paying Kevin Greene’s family, Chris Doleman or Rod Woodson on some dead salary cap type ****.

We all want to win now, we all just disagree on how the team should go about it. But replacing Jimmy and going with Trey but going back to Jimmy if Trey stinks it up is the absolute worst way to go about it. Kyle will look incompetent, like a sideshow, and he'll lose the locker room taking this route. The '88 team told Bill Walsh that he had to make a choice, he could not continue to flip flop between Joe and Steve on a weekly basis. It sent mixed signals and uncertainty to the entire team. So he ultimately went with Joe.
I was just throwing that option out there, but I wouldn't expect him to do that. Also, I understand your point, but it is totally an assumption that he will lose the locker room by doing that. One can also assume that he may lose the locker room by sticking with Jimmy. But, there is a huge difference in what Bill was doing with Joe and Steve, compared to Jimmy and Trey lol. I mean, Joe lead the league in tds the year prior. Plus, wasn't Joe injured in '88? Probably why the team thought it would be unfair for him to lose his spot or have to compete for his spot once he came back.

Salary cap ain’t real. Goff and Gurley were on max deals before being shipped out. I haven’t bothered to look at their books but I’m sure there’s no shortage of guys that would play for less just to be in LA and live that life.

Other than Donald and Ramsey the Rams def players are avg. The rest of their money is spent on the offensive side of the ball. Bosa will get paid when Jimmy comes off the books, shouldnt be a problem at all.

Other than Donald and Ramsey the Rams def players are avg. The rest of their money is spent on the offensive side of the ball. Bosa will get paid when Jimmy comes off the books, shouldnt be a problem at all.

They paying max money for Stafford, Ramsey, Donald, Higbee, Kupp, Woods, Floyd, Havenstein, and Whitworth. I looked up Spotrac and Goff and Gurley still count towards their cap too as dead money. Even their punter getting max money at $5 million per year. 😲 but you telling me we gotta wait for Jimmy G to leave just to pay Bosa. Outside of Warner, Kittle, and Trent who deservingly got paid, who else we paying. There’s Arik’s and Dee’s bad contracts but it feels like the Yorks are just cheap, every year we gotta go look through the FA discount store to fill out the roster.

Ford's contract went from bad to worse last year. Lynch and Co. guaranteed more money to create cap space last season just to sign more guys who ended up with season ending injuries. As for the Rams all their chips are in the middle of the table. This is it for them, boom or bust. They've got less than $2M in cap space remaining. Next year when they have 51 players signed they'll be over the cap. They'll be waving goodbye to a few players who are either owed a lot of money or will be owed a lot of money. Havenstein carries $1.5 in dead money and would save them over $7M by cutting him. Whitworth would be $1.6M in dead money but saves them $13M with his release.

Sherman signed by Bucs

Sherman about to get roasted in the Bucs scheme. He’s not a man to man coverage guy anymore especially at his advanced age and injury history, don’t care how much weight he says he lost. Niners should have made more of an effort to bring him back, we run the zone scheme but I guess Lynch and York bitter about his 2020 season. Cheap asses.

This defense is a Wide 9 scheme.

Press Man, outside leverage, and trail man techniques are played more than zone with this uptick in getting the ball to guys in space offenses. The recent change could be a preference of the coaching staff or a choice they were forced to make with the new comers. It’s much more simplistic to run Man concept variations for those not versed on where to be responsibility wise in zone. So, personnel may have forced their hand somewhat over these first 3 weeks.

Ford's contract went from bad to worse last year. Lynch and Co. guaranteed more money to create cap space last season just to sign more guys who ended up with season ending injuries. As for the Rams all their chips are in the middle of the table. This is it for them, boom or bust. They've got less than $2M in cap space remaining. Next year when they have 51 players signed they'll be over the cap. They'll be waving goodbye to a few players who are either owed a lot of money or will be owed a lot of money. Havenstein carries $1.5 in dead money and would save them over $7M by cutting him. Whitworth would be $1.6M in dead money but saves them $13M with his release.
Ford should have been cut last year. Was inexcusable to essentially extend him to create cap space.

i guess Lynch and York bitter about his 2020 season. Cheap asses.

No it was becauseSherman has been facing a bunch of off field issues.

off-season this year he was wasted, drove under the influence, crashed his car into a construction site, fled the scene of the crime, started texting his wife threatening to kill himself, ran to his in-laws house, tried to kick in their door on video camera, got police called, was taken down by a police K-9 unit and arrested.

Bucs just willing to take a bigger gamble with off field issues. Same reason they have rostered Antonio brown.

Anybody that plays on a Tom Brady-led team ends up playing at a high level. Sherm will do his part for the Bucs. It's just the way it is.

49ers need to figure things out fast with the secondary or else this will be another disappointment of a season for Shanahan and co

Why should we place utmost importance and priority with the secondary?

Hopkins, Moore, Kirk, DK, Lockett, Cupp, Woods, Jackson, Stafford, Wilson, Kyler. How we gonna compete?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom