Official San Francisco 49ers Off-Season Thread (5-7): Let's get ready for the Draft!

Originally Posted by kalikidd24

Just PLEASE don't start Alex Smith. Dude is garbage, he doesn't even belong in the league. The fact that they let him play for as long as he did is absolutely astonishing to me. I'd trade Alex Smith for a Klondike bar.
Bradshaw
70 - 5-9
71 - 6-8
First 28 games, 11-17

Testaverde
87 - 4-11
88 - 5-11
FIrst 31 games, 9-22

Aikman
89 - 0-15
90 - 7-9
First 31 games, 7-24

Drew Bledsoe
93 - 5-11
94 - 10-6
First 32 games, 15-17

P. Manning
98 - 3-13
99 - 13-3
First 32 games, 16-16

Tim Couch
99 - 2-14
00 - 3-13
First 32 games, 5-27

Michael Vick
01 - 7-9
02 - 9-7
First 32 games, 16-16

David Carr
02 - 4-12
03 - 5-11
First 32 games, 9-23

E. Manning
04 - 6-10
05 - 11-5
First 32 games, 17-15

Alex Smith
05 - 2-5
06 - 7-9
07 - 2-4
First 29 games, 11-18

All were selected #1overall by their respective teams. All struggled early, only one broke .500 by his second full season of play.

If you were to go off stats alone, Shaun Hill is better than EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THOSE GUYS. After all, he has a better winning percentage after a whopping TENWHOLE STARTS. He MUST be better.

(got this off the 49ers forums..)

Originally Posted by anguy14

dre bly has lost it man
nerd.gif

NikeTalker23 still has hope and faith in Alex Smith for some unknown reason, it's funny but yet very sad at the same time. Give it up champ, the Alex Smith ship has sailed, matter of fact it didn't even make it that far, it just sank. Now hopefully the organization does theright thing and signs Vick, that's who we really need.

I dont see why Alex Smith shouldn't get another chance ...dude was hurt last two year ....before that he did pretty decent for a 2nd year starter ...leadthe niner to an 8-8 record w/ a crappy WR group....

Originally Posted by NikeTalker23

Originally Posted by kalikidd24

Just PLEASE don't start Alex Smith. Dude is garbage, he doesn't even belong in the league. The fact that they let him play for as long as he did is absolutely astonishing to me. I'd trade Alex Smith for a Klondike bar.
Bradshaw
70 - 5-9
71 - 6-8
First 28 games, 11-17

Testaverde
87 - 4-11
88 - 5-11
FIrst 31 games, 9-22

Aikman
89 - 0-15
90 - 7-9
First 31 games, 7-24

Drew Bledsoe
93 - 5-11
94 - 10-6
First 32 games, 15-17

P. Manning
98 - 3-13
99 - 13-3
First 32 games, 16-16

Tim Couch
99 - 2-14
00 - 3-13
First 32 games, 5-27

Michael Vick
01 - 7-9
02 - 9-7
First 32 games, 16-16

David Carr
02 - 4-12
03 - 5-11
First 32 games, 9-23

E. Manning
04 - 6-10
05 - 11-5
First 32 games, 17-15

Alex Smith
05 - 2-5
06 - 7-9
07 - 2-4
First 29 games, 11-18

All were selected #1overall by their respective teams. All struggled early, only one broke .500 by his second full season of play.

If you were to go off stats alone, Shaun Hill is better than EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THOSE GUYS. After all, he has a better winning percentage after a whopping TEN WHOLE STARTS. He MUST be better.

(got this off the 49ers forums..)

grin.gif

How about QB ratings? TD-Int ratios?

WHo has info on Kentwan balmer?
The $+!$#%* guy had 7 tackles last year?!!?!?!!
smh.gif

k216w.jpg

I swear nolan has to have the worst track record of evaluating 1st round talent ever
grin.gif

Originally Posted by 92

smh.gif

k216w.jpg

I swear nolan has to have the worst track record of evaluating 1st round talent ever
grin.gif

laugh.gif
ur quick to toss the BUST label ...dude was bench most of last year...he rarely get PT. How he gonna be a BUST when he barely on the playing field
grin.gif

[h1]Crabtree could become growing concern for Niners[/h1]
Posted July 30, 2009 @ 4:53 p.m.

By Dan Arkush

Although Mike Singletary went out of his way to downplay the absence of Michael Crabtree - the team's only unsigned rookie - on the opening day of training camp, we hear the first-round receiver certainly isn't doing himself any favors in the perception department with the increasingly likely prospect of a prolonged contract holdout. Singletary praised Crabtree's work ethic and said he believed the receiver would have no problem fully participating in training camp after being limited up to now on the mend from March foot surgery. But with Crabtree's agent, Eugene Parker, reportedly angling for a top-five salary for the 10th overall selection in the '09 draft, we hear a lengthy stalemate could quickly change the head coach's stance. In the meantime, skepticism among daily team observers is on the rise. Said one team insider of Crabtree: "After wanting to play so badly that he was moved to tears, you'd think he'd want to get to camp as fast as he can."

[h1]49ers' Camp Singletary looks to be 'brutal'[/h1]
John Crumpacker, Chronicle Staff Writer

Friday, July 31, 2009

(07-30) 21:05 PDT -- On a lazy Thursday afternoon, a mild 76 degrees in the shade, ribs and chicken cooking in the smoker, the 49ers enjoyed the calm before the storm as veterans reported to training camp.

Come Saturday morning, things won't be so idyllic.

Coach Mike Singletary promised his players a rugged training camp and told them to report in top shape for the monthlong grind. Players took their coach at his word.

"I've looked at Saturday's schedule and it looks pretty brutal," defensive end Justin Smith said. "We're going to have tackling drills. I've never done tackling drills in the NFL. He wants to get back to the basics, and that's blocking and tackling."

While Smith will be tackling, left tackle Joe Staley will be blocking. He, too, anticipates a rugged camp.

"I expect it to be physical and intense, everything training camp should be," Staley said. "If you know Singletary, he's known for his intensity. I expect it to be a physical, intense training camp with a lot of competition."

In fact, Singletary said both morning and afternoon practices will be in full pads for the first two weeks, which is sure to elicit groans from the players. Under previous 49er coaches, players usually wore shorts and shoulder pads in the afternoon and contact was minimal.

"That's tough," linebacker Takeo Spikes said of the double padded sessions. "To know you have that much contact on a continual basis, you open yourself up to injuries, stuff we don't want to talk about but it's reality. We'll have to be smart about it."

To prepare for the rigors of camp, linebacker Patrick Willis devoted three weeks this month to mixed martial arts training at the Las Vegas gym of UFC Hall of Fame fighter Randy Couture.

Willis said he trained twice a day with trainers and fighters and got to do a little sparring on his penultimate day in the gym.

"It was tough fun," he said. "It was rough. I know I put in the time to get prepared for training camp."

Like Smith, Willis said he expects Camp Singletary to be "brutal."

"I'm sure you know what coach Singletary is about. He's from the old school. He's all about pounding, pounding, pounding. We're going to do a lot of that."

Said tight end Vernon Davis, "I expect coach Singletary to be tough on us, no nonsense. I got my mind right for it. You shouldn't think of it as rough or brutal. (I'll) just play ball and do what I'm told."

Davis, always the most combustible player on the team, said his days of instigating fights in practice are over, mainly because Singletary doesn't like fights. Former coach Mike Nolan, conversely, condoned fights because he thought it indicated a level of passion by the combatants.

"One thing I can't stop doing is being competitive," Davis said. "That's how I am. I'm going to try my best not to lose."

Still no Crabtree: General manager Scot McCloughan said, "Nothing right now" in regards to the contract status of top pick Michael Crabtree. The Raiders' signing of wide receiver Darrius Heyward-Bey at No. 7 could open up the remainder of round one. As of Thursday, nine first-round picks had signed.

"He's missing experience, knowledge of the game. He's got to get in here," said Davis, an '06 first-rounder who was in camp on time. "We don't have the time to mess around and wait. He needs to be here."

Briefly: Cornerback Walt Harris (knee) was placed on injured reserve, ending his season before it began. He tore his anterior cruciate ligament in a noncontact practice in May. ... Defensive lineman Babatunde Oshinowo was signed to a one-year contract Thursday. He's a Stanford alum who has played in two career NFL games, with Cleveland in '06 and Chicago in '07, and spent '08 on Philadelphia's practice squad. ... Rookie defensive lineman Ricky Jean-Francois was placed on the nonfootball illness list with a stomach ailment. ... With much of the information available online, the 49ers' 2009 media guide is leaner than in previous years, topping out at 256 pages. The 2006 guide weighed in at 790 pages.

E-mail John Crumpacker at [email protected].

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/07/31/SP2K191IJ9.DTL

[emoji]169[/emoji] 2009 Hearst Communications Inc. | Privacy Policy | Feedback | RSS Feeds | FAQ | Site Index | Contact

http://www.sfgate.com/staff/

ohwell.gif
tired.gif

...sigh...

Originally Posted by i3allistic

Originally Posted by 92

smh.gif

k216w.jpg

grin.gif

laugh.gif
ur quick to toss the BUST label ...dude was bench most of last year ...he rarely get PT. How he gonna be a BUST when he barely on the playing field
grin.gif
this.

Originally Posted by NothingToL0se

Originally Posted by 92

smh.gif

k216w.jpg

grin.gif

laugh.gif
ur quick to toss the BUST label ...dude was bench most of last year ...he rarely get PT. How he gonna be a BUST when he barely on the playing field
grin.gif
this.
he is a 1st round draft pick. most 1st round draft picks are supposed to be good enough to be pushing for playing time.
I have heard NOTHING about him since he got to SF. If he is one of those players that is still burgeoning, then he wasn't worth the 1st round draft pick,plain & simple.

Originally Posted by 80JerryRice80

pimp.gif

Singletary takin *%!% back to 1985.
laugh.gif

I only hope that the players are as devoted to winning as Mike is.

The season ended fairly well last year. If Mike can get the players motivated to win it could be a good season this year
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by 80JerryRice80

Originally Posted by NothingToL0se

Originally Posted by 92

smh.gif

grin.gif

laugh.gif
grin.gif
this.
he is a 1st round draft pick. most 1st round draft picks are supposed to be good enough to be pushing for playing time.
I have heard NOTHING about him since he got to SF. If he is one of those players that is still burgeoning, then he wasn't worth the 1st round draft pick, plain & simple.

Nolan drafted him, knowing he was RAW and was a project ....anyway...seem like singletary gonna give him more PT this season, so we'll see.

http://www.mercurynews.com/annkillion/ci_12533500

Back
Top Bottom