Official San Francisco 49ers Off-Season Thread (5-7): Let's get ready for the Draft!

Originally Posted by Troponin C

Originally Posted by NikeTalker23

Originally Posted by GSDOUBLEU

i wouldnt look into that at all.

Why not? I mean the offense has been playing like crap and one would assume that if Hill had his spot secure he would be taking all the reps possible in order gain some kind cohesiveness. The fact that Alex is taking snaps with the first offense is saying a lot about how secure his spot it. If our offense continues to play the same way, whether or not it's all Hill's fault, we will see a change in the QB position. If you have the pocket collapsing on you regularly, why keep the least mobile QB we have in the game? If they're both going to suck because of the OLine, wouldn't it make sense to put in the most mobile QB?
why do you have so much faith in alex smith?
What has he shown us?
do you have stats? videos?
laugh.gif

1st year he was thrown out like raw meat in a shark tank. We were horrible.
2nd year he showed promise as we went 7-9.
3rd year we went 2-1 and then he got injured then got forced to play injured because of Nolan.
Hasn't played since. He's had a different offensive coordinator every year and every 49er team he played with wasn't as talented as we are thisyear. He's more mobile than Hill and has a much better arm.

I like smith's athleticism but I'm not a fan of his decision making.
Hill's decision making combined with smith's athleticism would be ideal for our team, I think that Nate Davis could become the player we're lookingfor.

Originally Posted by Troponin C

I like smith's athleticism but I'm not a fan of his decision making.
Hill's decision making combined with smith's athleticism would be ideal for our team, I think that Nate Davis could become the player we're looking for.

Here's Hill's game. Stare down receiver and if open throw a wobbly pass, if not open check down to RB. We will never have any explosive plays withHill. Not only that but his lack of mobility cause him to take way to many sacks. Lots of those sacks are on him since he loves walking into them.

Originally Posted by tSamShoX

^ i thought u was ready to give up on Alex Smith after we went 3-1....

Ive never lost faith in Smith, I just support our starting QB. I just can't see Hill beating good teams with his lack of arm and mobility. Good teams aregoing to stack the box and make Hill's arm beat them, and that's not likely.

Originally Posted by What up

You're blaming entire losses on Shaun Hill? Did he drop an interception that could have sealed the game? (Minnesota) Did he make a terrible play call on the goal line to lose the game? (Arizona 2008)

After lookin up Hill stats and what not I noticed that dating back to last season, Shaun hill is 1-5 against team with winning records. Sure he can beat bad teams but he can't beat good teams.
Its hard to win against winners, with Hill hes just good enough to win against mediocre teams.

Im not saying Hill lost those games, but maybe if we had a better QB, the dropped INT against MIN and the goal line play against ARZ would probably beirrelevant and not needed. Its known that Hill isnt the ideal starting QB for this team and he isnt going to win you games, but hes the best QB for now(slightly over Smith)

^ i thought u was ready to give up on Alex Smith after we went 3-1....

Ive never lost faith in Smith, I just support our starting QB. I just can't see Hill beating good teams with his lack of arm and mobility. Good teams are going to stack the box and make Hill's arm beat them, and that's not likely.

alex smith couldnt beat a jv high school team if his life depended on it...he'd prob do that stupid roll out all day long
laugh.gif
eyes.gif

Shaun Hill isn't good, but he isn't bad either. He is however the best QB on our roster at the moment which is why he is starting.

That Adam Scheffter (sp) dude from ESPN suggested the 49ers try to trade for Julius Peppers.

We really need another guy opposite of Justin Smith
mad.gif

Niners need to do something come trade deadline.

We are super thin @ O-line and if we can get an edge rusher it would be perfect, but NFL trades are rare in itself.

So.....would u guys consider Manny Lawson a bust? Has this guy ever made a noticeable impact on the defensive end since he's arrived in SF? Just throwing it out there.....

I wouldn't call him a bust, he just hasn't met expectations.

Being held back with that ACL injury didn't help either
mad.gif

He has looked good this season, but I don't think he really scares QBs coming off the edge.

So.....would u guys consider Manny Lawson a bust? Has this guy ever made a noticeable impact on the defensive end since he's arrived in SF? Just throwingit out there.....

So.....would u guys consider Manny Lawson a bust? Has this guy ever made a noticeable impact on the defensive end since he's arrived in SF? Just throwing it out there.....
from the first 4 games of the season, i'd say he made a difference.

This thread has gone down hill fast. 2 losses and some of yall are ready to throw in the towel?

We do not have the tools on O to compete w/ any team if the D doesnt play lights out, thats what happened w/ ATL. Right now the focus should be on getting theO-line to play worth a damn. Fix that and we'll be fine this year.

[h2][/h2]
[h2]49ERS[/h2] [h1]If offense stinks, blame Right Guard[/h1] [h3]Singletary may replace struggling Rachal after bye week[/h3]
John Burgess / Press Democrat

Niners coach Mike Singletary yells at the referees on Oct. 11. Singletary is weighing changes along the offensive line.

By MATT MAIOCCO
THE PRESS DEMOCRAT

Published: Saturday, October 17, 2009 at 6:37 p.m.
Last Modified: Saturday, October 17, 2009 at 6:37 p.m.

SANTA CLARA - Mike Singletary is depending on strong play from the 49ers' offensive line as part of his formula for success.

External Links:

But that phase of the game has been a disappointment for a man who has repeatedly stated he expects the 49ers' line to be among the best in the league as the season progresses.

It appears Singletary has run out of patience, as a change at right guard is expected when the 49ers reconvene Monday to begin preparations for facing the Houston Texans on Oct. 25.

"Still looking at it," Singletary said Wednesday before the team was given four days off for the bye week. "There's a good chance we'll do it, but (we're) still looking at it.

"Right now there are a couple of combinations, but we'll figure it out when we get back."

Right guard Chilo Rachal, a second-round pick in the 2008 draft, is the player most likely to receive a demotion. When asked if right guard was his biggest concern, Singletary answered, "Quite possibly."

The 49ers' offense ranks 29th in the NFL in total yards through five games.

Quarterback Shaun Hill has been sacked 16 times. The 49ers are surrendering sacks more frequently than all but three other teams.

Singletary wants an offensive line that is able to impose its will on the defense and sustain long ball-control drives. However, only the Raiders have achieved fewer first downs per game.

"I feel that they'll be fine," said 49ers running back Frank Gore, who is expected to return to action after missing the past two games with an ankle injury. We have to clean up the small things and get all the MEs (mental errors) out of the way and play together. Coach Singletary said it: 'It's going to happen.'

"They're trying and fighting and that's all you can want for your teammates. They'll do it. They'll get it right."

Rachal was being counted upon to make significant strides in his second season after starting the final six games as a rookie. He replaced veteran Tony Wragge in the starting lineup. Now Wragge is among the options to work his way back onto the first team.

Or the 49ers could move either Adam Snyder or Tony Pashos from right tackle, where they have been splitting time.

Rachal said his confidence has not wavered. He said he believes he is continuing to progress, but does not admit his play has been substandard.

"I feel like I've gotten better in some points, but I can always get better," he said. "I'm still learning. I only started six games last year. I didn't get a chance to play the whole season. I'm learning things as games come along."

Any mystery involving Singletary's opinion of Rachal's play was solved when NFL Films had the 49ers' head coach wired for sound during the team's Oct. 4 game against the St. Louis Rams. At one point, Rams defensive tackle C.J. Ah You powers through Rachal to record a sack.

"Chilo's going to make me knock him out, dad-gummit," Singletary says on the sideline.

Later, Singletary talks to Rachal on the bench in front of all of the other offensive linemen.

"Chilo, look here, I'm going to ask you a very honest question," Singletary says. "If you can't play, let me know, so I can get somebody in there. These guys are busting their tales ... No, no, no, I don't want to hear 'I'm good.' If you can't play, I want somebody else in. I don't need you out there thinking. I need you to go. These guys are working. Are you going to play or not?"

Singletary spent a lot of one-on-one time last season with Rachal before and after the promotion into the starting lineup. Rachal said he views it as a good thing that his coach gives him attention.

"He sees a lot of potential in me and he's pushing me," Rachal said. "And that's motivation. I like that. I take everything Coach says as a positive. That's a Hall of Fame coach and been in the league and won a Super Bowl. Everything he says, I listen to."

For more on the 49ers, go to Instant 49ers at blog.pressdemocrat.com/49ers. You can reach Staff Writer Matt Maiocco at matt.maiocco@

pressdemocrat.com

indifferent.gif
@ 92 starting a 49er game thread today.

smh.gif
are any of you guys watching the minny/bal game?
I think I can whole heartedly say that my most hated player in the history of sports is definitely brett favre.
sick.gif

Back
Top Bottom