Official Seattle Mariners 2009 Season Thread Vol. Season Over

Glad this didn't go through... something Bill Bavasi probably would have agreed to and gloated about...
eyes.gif

[h1]Sources: Mariners nixed three-way Felix Hernandez trade sending Padres slugger Adrian Gonzalez to Seattle[/h1]
Posted by Geoff Baker

http://blog.seattletimes.nwsource.com/mariners/agon.jpg

Lots of stuff has been leaking out in recent days about discussions between the Mariners and Boston Red Sox about a potential Felix Hernandez trade. From what we've pieced together, things were a little more detailed than just a simple phone call or two between the Mariners and Boston.

Here's what I've heard after working sources from my end.

I'm told the Red Sox apparently approached the Mariners and first tried to do a Hernandez trade with Seattle exclusively. Boston wanted Hernandez and gave the Mariners a list of eight prospects, from which Seattle would be allowed to pick any five.

They included:

RHP Clay Buchholz
RHP Daniel Bard
RHP Justin Masterson
LHP Nick Hagadone
RHP Michael Bowden
LHP Felix Doubront
OF Josh Reddick
SS Yamaico Navarro

Seattle turned that down. But that was just the warm-up act to the blockbuster proposal that followed.
http://
When the Mariners rebuffed the Red Sox and it became clear the two sides could not get a deal done on their own, Boston GM Theo Epstein apparently got on the phone to his longtime close pal. San Diego Padres GM Kevin Towers.

It has since come out that Epstein and Towers were discussing a trade that would send home run slugger Adrian Gonzalez to Boston. But wait. Apparently, Epstein wants Hernandez more than anybody, even Gonzalez.

So, the three teams start discussing a possible three-way deal with Seattle that would send Gonzalez to the Mariners, along with Buchholz and a couple of other Red Sox prospects.

The Red Sox would get Hernandez.

And the Padres would get Brandon Morrow, Phillippe Aumont and Carlos Triunfel from Seattle, along with a couple of other top Boston prospects.

A creative proposal, to say the least. And one that obviously would have blown away anything else at the July 31 deadline. Would have been the talk of future deadlines for years to come.

But it never happened. The Mariners apparently nixed it, feeling it would not benefit them in the long-term. Boston then turned around and dealt Masterson and Hagadone to the Indians for catcher Victor Martinez.

From what I'm hearing, the Mariners didn't think any of the packages they were being offered would go down much in substance over the next 12 months, when they'd only have another year-plus of Hernandez under control. Why give up the extra year, their reasoning went, if they could still get a similar offer at the 2010 deadline?

So, that was apparently Seattle's initial foray into the world of trading Hernandez.

It was an educational experience to say the least, and one that should serve them well should they choose to explore this further next winter or a year from now. And they still don't have to deal him. Once again, this was only their first venture into what they could possibly acquire if Hernandez doesn't sign a long-term deal with them over the next 12-to-18 months. Remember, Hernandez is under club control through 2011, but his arbitration years are about to get rather pricey. You'd think the club would like to buy some of those out at a lesser price starting this winter.

Copyright [emoji]169[/emoji] 2009 The Seattle Times Company

Hey, where are all the usual suspects? Sure, our playoff hopes are all but over, we just traded away our second best starter, our third best starter seemslike he won't be pitching again for the M's and our offense is really struggling, but that doesn't mean we still can't enjoy a walk-off win...
tongue.gif

2009621268.jpg
capt.728880af692e4ac3801067e1ef9c7de8.rays_mariners_baseball_wajf112.jpg

Originally Posted by FIRST B0RN

I was really hoping the Mariners were going to win the division, even the wc would have been cool.

Me too.
tired.gif

It's ok though, the Mojo will return at some point.

^
The Mojo will return. To me, I still find this season to be a good one because we did more than expected. I can't complain really as long as we end with arecord over .500.

There's still quite a bit of baseball left so keep your heads up!

I know ya'll didn't fall asleep...Griffey does it again. Some real magic in that bat of his (only in an M's uniform).

From the SeaTimes
This is no laughing matter, despite the jokes that will inevitably fly after news of this breaks. It turns out that Mariners third baseman Adrian Beltre injured his testicle last night after a groundball took a bad hop and hit him in the groin area. No, he does not wear a protective cup.

There was some tearing of the testicle and apparently is some internal bleeding in there. The team is going to wait a bit to see whether he requires surgery. If the surgery was to take place, he would need a month's recovery time. If there's no surgery, he'd need about 10 days to two weeks.

sick.gif
frown.gif
sick.gif

Was it José Paniagua who took a line-drive and ended up with... a ruptured testicle???

Easy win last night... lucky we don't get king felix this series. But look at the bright side u guys get sergio meat-tray
smh.gif

Originally Posted by finnns2003

who are you again? you're not registering on my relevant meter.
laugh.gif

That is a very female way to back out ... I mean honestly what could you have said?

laugh.gif

Originally Posted by REDd SPYDER

Originally Posted by finnns2003

who are you again? you're not registering on my relevant meter.
laugh.gif

That is a very female way to back out ... I mean honestly what could you have said?

laugh.gif
go back under whatever rock you crawled out from. no one cares.

^ just ignore the kid, guys... not worth the time nor the effort...

In other news...

The Mariners just released the results of Erik Bedard's surgery in Southern California today, and it's a whopper: Dr. Lewis Yocum found an inflamed bursa and a torn labrum. Dr. Yocum debrided the bursa and repaired the labrum, and the Mariners report that Bedard will be in a sling for two to three weeks. It will be four to six months before he is able to begin baseball-related activity.

That ends the question of whether Bedard's season is over. It is, emphatically. Now the question is what happens next for Bedard,who will go into his free agency in the worst possible circumstance for him -- recovering from an operation, with teams not knowing when he will be ready to pitch again.

The other injury news is that Adrian Beltre will apparently not need surgery for his severely contused right testicle. He was examined today by urologist Dr. Rahul Desai after being placed on the 15-day disabled list yesterday. Desai recommended Beltre not perform any strenuous activity for the next week. In approximately one week, he will be able to begin slow progress toward baseball-related activity.

At least we'll still get the services of Beltre this season... somebody get the man a cup...

bedard... aye caramba that sucks.

this team doesn't have a prayer of a chance at the WS for a long time.

Back
Top Bottom