OFFICIAL SECRET SOCIETY VOL. 2 MIXTAPE THREAD- Dropping OCT 11th

Tape was cool. Got a chance to listen to it today, gave it two spins so far.

Really liked:
Still Grounded (Beat was cool. It finally hit but doesn't Cashmere D some times sound like a young Scarface?
laugh.gif
pimp.gif
)
To The Sky
Ethno Night Life
Nothing (Think I heard this before)
Get Back
So Sweet
Revolvers
Hiyyer
Plan (Another dope joint from Plan. Wes did hid his thing)
Number 1 Girl
High Karate
Attention (when his mixtape drop blackmagnus?
nerd.gif
)
Victory Pt. II (when is Jynx's next mixtape?
nerd.gif
)

Originally Posted by DAYTONA 5000

man these improperly tagged tracks are ruining the entire feng shui of my itunes library

This, anyone got a properly tagged version?
smile.gif

The tape is dope tho, glad to hear some new voices from the NT fam, keep doing your %!!+ y'all
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

The usershare link is tagged way better. And it has the correct version of the Wes Duce Plan track. Check the site.

Master Zik good looks on the review.

Originally Posted by Agthekid

The usershare link is tagged way better. And it has the correct version of the Wes Duce Plan track. Check the site.

Master Zik good looks on the review.
big difference in the 2 versions... check that mixed one out...

All the smoking songs on here are SO necessary.

Revolvers into HiyyerUp into Carefree x Blue Kush had a *%!*$ in Mars last night.

Shouts to all of The Secret Society fam for coming out and bringing their best to the project.

Also big props to the organizers who again have put out a high quality product that I think truly reflects the kind of talent that we have here. I'm not sure who's involved so I can't name names but from the promotion, to the uploading/distribution the coordination and even the artwork are of the highest caliber and I appreciate you representing NT this way.

(Now that that is out of the way...)

Secret Society Volume 2

I skimmed through the entire album when it dropped and I though it had a very cohesive feel to it. The order of the tracks I think fits the style of the music and sets a good tone for the Secret Society experience. I think that all of the tracks, except for the Wes Duce track had equal production value. I was glad to see the work put in to get both the correct version and the properly tagged tracks packaged and out to the people. (I always tag my albums before I spin them so I'm not sure how bad it was.)

I've been to joegalvan.net before and seen the kind of work that the name has been attached to. High marks for the execution and layout of the cover/back/tracklisting art, it was an excellent continuation of the "Secret Society" branding. Presentation is one of the key attributes of any project, the only thing more important than the presentation is the actual product...

The music.

For the most part, the music is good and even excellent in some spots as the SS2 project was able to overcome one of what I thought to be a glaring deficiencies of the SS1 project and that is to have some songs that stand out from the rest. While the SS1 project was cohesive I though it was almost consistent to a flaw. The tracks seemed to run right into one another. That is not the case with SS2. Several stand out tracks break up the monotony that can bog down a project like this and at 22 songs (23 with the skit) deep it can't afford to run long.

Music review (Part 1)

(The music was played in random order to try and appreciate each song without the benefit/detriment of the previous songs impact.)

Untouchable - SS2 owes this entire review to this song. On my first spin, this was the first song that made me want to come back to the tape. I really dug the down beat placement of the sample loop and the breakdown. Epiphany came through with the cool concept and beat selection. I liked this track... a lot.

Number 1 Girl - Team Scene always comes through from a quality standpoint. Of all the acts that we have here I think Team Scene has one of the best packages for success on a national level. The production on this one was great and both rappers adequately convey... wait, was that a Twilight reference? - Number 1 girl = garbage.

High Karate - This song reminds me of something from Wiz Khalifa. I liked the beat and the concept execution of this track. Good effort.

Banks Like Hillary - This is one of the worst similies I've ever heard and to use is in the hook was a gamble. One Pharoah almost lost as it took everything in me not to skip past it after this awful chorus came in. Bad hook and the beat doesn't help things either. Fortunately the verses eventually come in and do what they can to save this track but I swear if I never heard the hook to Banks Like Hillary ever again, it would be too soon.

Carefree - Very 808's-@*# and I mean that in a good way. I'm impressed with TIME's exploration of the autotune effect (especially post DOA). I can clearly hear the progress and while I don't smoke. I can imagine drifting away listening to this one. It's a shame that there'll never be a video for this one as I think it lends itself to a visual that could set it off.

KKK - Right off the bat I didn't like the flow Louchiano uses in this track. I did like the change of pace using JGatz on the hook. I liked the concept.

Get Back - Get Back has a nice beat and even though I don't like the flow on this track there is a nice Adam and Eve reference.

Attention - I absolutely loved the beat coming in to this one. And I can actually appreciate the way Eric Sosa says A-Ten-Shun in the hook it makes for an interesting hook. He also brings it with the verses but I felt like this was the wrong beat for this song. I had a disconnect between the concept and the execution.

Hyer Up - The beat to this one is very nice and the flow is decent. The singer on this one has a GREAT voice, unfortunately I don't think they took advangage of what they could have done with this hook.

So High - This is a solid effort from Cashmere D. TIME does an adequate job, but I think it could have benefitted from an actual singer on that hook.

Victorious - I've always liked Hollywood Floss' delivery but I always thought his concepts could better thought out. Victorious fits in Floss' lane and I think he comes through. Victorious has a good beat and solid lyrics, good job Floss (P.S. Stop bumping your artist of the month thread!! J/K)

Flight 420 - I can see how this and High Karate got placed together in the tracklisting but 420 is the lesser of the two tracks. I felt that High Karate executed this idea better. I didn't particulary like Flight 420 but with the solid production and a rapper that's able to stay on topic I can see how someone would.

So Sweet - It's always good to hear Wize off of his Captain Save-A-Hip-Hop vibe and you can't go wrong with that sample, Wize takes an old favorite and brings his unique take on it. I like this from him.

There's a lot of tracks left out there but I do have work to do, part to forthcoming.

*The opinions contained above are those of GolfAlphaBravoEcho and are not endorsed by Niketalk, Yuku, SecretSociety or their respective representatives.

And this is for TheGrimm, I thought I'd save you the trouble...loser.

GolfAlphaBravoEcho wrote:

Shouts to all of The Secret Society fam for coming out and bringing their best to the project.

Also big props to the organizers who again have put out a high quality product that I think truly reflects the kind of talent that we have here. I'm not sure who's involved so I can't name names but from the promotion, to the uploading/distribution the coordination and even the artwork are of the highest caliber and I appreciate you representing NT this way.

(Now that that is out of the way...)

Secret Society Volume 2

I skimmed through the entire album when it dropped and I though it had a very cohesive feel to it. The order of the tracks I think fits the style of the music and sets a good tone for the Secret Society experience. I think that all of the tracks, except for the Wes Duce track had equal production value. I was glad to see the work put in to get both the correct version and the properly tagged tracks packaged and out to the people. (I always tag my albums before I spin them so I'm not sure how bad it was.)

I've been to joegalvan.net before and seen the kind of work that the name has been attached to. High marks for the execution and layout of the cover/back/tracklisting art, it was an excellent continuation of the "Secret Society" branding. Presentation is one of the key attributes of any project, the only thing more important than the presentation is the actual product...

The music.

For the most part, the music is good and even excellent in some spots as the SS2 project was able to overcome one of what I thought to be a glaring deficiencies of the SS1 project and that is to have some songs that stand out from the rest. While the SS1 project was cohesive I though it was almost consistent to a flaw. The tracks seemed to run right into one another. That is not the case with SS2. Several stand out tracks break up the monotony that can bog down a project like this and at 22 songs (23 with the skit) deep it can't afford to run long.

Music review (Part 1)

(The music was played in random order to try and appreciate each song without the benefit/detriment of the previous songs impact.)

Untouchable - SS2 owes this entire review to this song. On my first spin, this was the first song that made me want to come back to the tape. I really dug the down beat placement of the sample loop and the breakdown. Epiphany came through with the cool concept and beat selection. I liked this track... a lot.

Number 1 Girl - Team Scene always comes through from a quality standpoint. Of all the acts that we have here I think Team Scene has one of the best packages for success on a national level. The production on this one was great and both rappers adequately convey... wait, was that a Twilight reference? - Number 1 girl = garbage.

High Karate - This song reminds me of something from Wiz Khalifa. I liked the beat and the concept execution of this track. Good effort.

Banks Like Hillary - This is one of the worst similies I've ever heard and to use is in the hook was a gamble. One Pharoah almost lost as it took everything in me not to skip past it after this awful chorus came in. Bad hook and the beat doesn't help things either. Fortunately the verses eventually come in and do what they can to save this track but I swear if I never heard the hook to Banks Like Hillary ever again, it would be too soon.

Carefree - Very 808's-@*# and I mean that in a good way. I'm impressed with TIME's exploration of the autotune effect (especially post DOA). I can clearly hear the progress and while I don't smoke. I can imagine drifting away listening to this one. It's a shame that there'll never be a video for this one as I think it lends itself to a visual that could set it off.

KKK - Right off the bat I didn't like the flow Louchiano uses in this track. I did like the change of pace using JGatz on the hook. I liked the concept.

Get Back - Get Back has a nice beat and even though I don't like the flow on this track there is a nice Adam and Eve reference.

Attention - I absolutely loved the beat coming in to this one. And I can actually appreciate the way Eric Sosa says A-Ten-Shun in the hook it makes for an interesting hook. He also brings it with the verses but I felt like this was the wrong beat for this song. I had a disconnect between the concept and the execution.

Hyer Up - The beat to this one is very nice and the flow is decent. The singer on this one has a GREAT voice, unfortunately I don't think they took advangage of what they could have done with this hook.

So High - This is a solid effort from Cashmere D. TIME does an adequate job, but I think it could have benefitted from an actual singer on that hook.

Victorious - I've always liked Hollywood Floss' delivery but I always thought his concepts could better thought out. Victorious fits in Floss' lane and I think he comes through. Victorious has a good beat and solid lyrics, good job Floss (P.S. Stop bumping your artist of the month thread!! J/K)

Flight 420 - I can see how this and High Karate got placed together in the tracklisting but 420 is the lesser of the two tracks. I felt that High Karate executed this idea better. I didn't particulary like Flight 420 but with the solid production and a rapper that's able to stay on topic I can see how someone would.

So Sweet - It's always good to hear Wize off of his Captain Save-A-Hip-Hop vibe and you can't go wrong with that sample, Wize takes an old favorite and brings his unique take on it. I like this from him.

There's a lot of tracks left out there but I do have work to do, part to forthcoming.

*The opinions contained above are those of GolfAlphaBravoEcho and are not endorsed by Niketalk, Yuku, SecretSociety or their respective representatives.

will peep this tonite.... I didnt submit anything but I will definately be giving this a hard critique later on this week.

LETS SEE WHAT THE FUSS IS FOR

High Karate is too %$%$**$ dope. !*%# has been on repeat for the last 20 minutes. Flozstello and the Baron Boys are a problem
pimp.gif

GABE thanks for review also

Anytime. It was the worst thing waiting for somebody to write a review, to kinda like validate the project. For someone to say, YES! I listened to every song!

I was talking to someone (who shall remain nameless, but YOU know who you are!) who had been on multiple NT Mixtapes but had NEVER even downloaded a copy of the mixtape.

I'm planning on doing the rest, but it takes a long time, both to listen and to write up a review, but part two is on the way.

@TheGrimm, I thought you'd like that!

Originally Posted by GolfAlphaBravoEcho

laugh.gif

pimp.gif

Music Review (Part 2)

Plan - My dude Wes Duce has been on the steady grind for as long as I remember and since he is no longer accepting "Your flow is improving, your sound is really coming together" type constructive criticism since The Truth dropped I'll just say this is on point. Plan comes through as always and Dizzy goes hard over the immaculate production. It's a flow like this that prevented me from responding when you dissed me way back when on the Mega-Mega
laugh.gif

Smash Bros - That effect is TOO strong. I get what they were going for with the hook but they missed me with that one. I didn't appreciate the break down or the simple type beat. To me, this one was pretty much unlistenable.

Boney Starks Speaks - I'm not one to appreciate skits, but Boney does a good job, it's a good drop. (Real slick by calling out 2011) and it was a smart move to tease the upcoming Plan track.

Revolvers - Didn't like the hook. I didn't really get it. Sometimes it's easy to get caught up in a slower beat and sound like you're dragging your words. That's how I felt about this one. Maybe if they sped up the beat a few BPM's. I did like the cypher line though.

Ethno Night Life - I actually dreaded reviewing this one. I thought that Topher A. White came out the gate hard. This is a perfect example of how to do EVERYTHING right in a track. The production is immaculate. The engineering of the beat were perfect. Lyrically on point. Word to the Trojan/Bruin line. I mean I can't say enough about how well done I thought this track was. I mean there's even a beat switch DURING the bridge!! ...

(Takes deep breath...)

But there are words that effectively shut my ears down. Piff, Guap and apparently "Ethno". I actually skipped this track twice before I listened to it and no matter how much I geeked out listening to it I just couldn't get past it. Maybe if it had a longer outro so I could hear the beat some more but that's just being picky... Loved it, but couldn't dig the word "Ethno". I don't know why... I wish I did but I just couldnt!

Nothing - It's good to see D Cinn back rolling with the NT SS Fam. Extra points for producing the beat. This is classic D Cinn here cool flow, love how D leans words waaaay to the left with his accent. Nice beat switch up. It falls a little flat when the chorus comes back around but by then the job is done.

Victory Pt. II - I'm glad I heard this in the car first, iPhone speakers just don't do this beat the justice it deserves. It comes in so hard and Jynx jumps right in on it. This is an excellent match of beat, hook, concept and flow. Why don't all NY rappers sound like this.

To The Sky - Is it just me or does the first rapper sound like a bad imitation of G.O.D. Jewels I couldn't get on board with the stutter-step style he was going for and what makes it worse is that (Glory) Jewels showed up instead of (Greatness) Jewels, I prefer the former so I was happy with the verse but the third rapper did the beat the most justice. It sounds like the engineering on this track was unfinished though it didn't sound properly leveled to me. I gotta tell you I was disappointed with this one. I saw Jewels and made some assumptions. But I guess I should disclose that I was disappointed by We Major" too.

Still Grounded - I loved the melodies in this beat and I thought that TIME's flow went well with it (nice self aware reference to your haters and I dug the Halo lines) what's that a 32? I'm a fan of the extended TIME verses but I thought 32's were too long for this particular beat. Propz to Cashmere on the Outkast drop. I do love that beat tho... maybe they shoulda stretched those verses...SHOUTS to Mez 1.

(Phew...)

I think that's all of em'

I'm glad that an Executive Club entry was the last one so I can get on my soapbox for a second. (I know this isn't my project and I also know you didn't ask me this, but...) I'm not a fan of multiple entries by the same artists on the one project. I don't mean to pick on EXC but I would have liked to see someone else get some shine on a collaborative effort like this. You can see that I enjoyed all of the EXC tracks and I understand in the interest of putting out the best project it may have been may the best music win.

And with that said...

Props to ANYBODY that submitted, contributed or made it on the Tape. There's an incredible amount of talent on the board and it shows in this project. What I said is just how I feel, no disrespect intended. I thought it was a great tape, There is literally something for everyone and  it's undeniable that all of the artists can create outstanding music. Good job to everybody on board.

All we ask is trust...

Back
Top Bottom