:::OFFICIAL SNEAKER CARE/MAINTENANCE POST::: (It's back!)

For my '01 breds that have slight sole separation, are they safe to wear if the 2/3 of the sole is still intact?

Hey everyone, new to this thread. Sorry if something like this was already asked / answered many times, but

I have a pair of DMP VI that I'd like to clean the sole of.. not really worried about sea glowing it to get off the yellow.. just want to get the street dirt off of it without really adding to the yellowing process ya know? Any tips would help. Thanks.
tongue.gif

Originally Posted by odog24

got some metallic v from 99 and they've been sitting on a shelf collecting dust
whats the best way to go about cleaning the dust?

The 2000 metallic's can be cleaned by suede cleaner and brush. 

Originally Posted by hoardinjordANZ

@johnandrew07 thanks bro I'm gonna try this out when I get some spare time. 2 things though, do you mean the threading of the towel needs to be flat? can you be a little more specific and you mean to iron the wet side of the towel correct? Thanks again

I mean use the flat area. I accidentally used the area of the towel where it was thicker than some areas so it imprinted on the leather of the shoe.  Yeah iron the wet side and keep the dry side on the bottom so absorb as much water. 

Guys is the recommended sole cleaner for the concord XI's still Island Girls Sea Glow ?? Or is there anything else ?

Originally Posted by HMack007

Guys is the recommended sole cleaner for the concord XI's still Island Girls Sea Glow ?? Or is there anything else ?

are we talking about just cleaning only or trying to remove the yellowing of the soles? If just straight cleaning soap and water or shoe cleaner will work. For clearing the yellowing, sea glow or retro brite is your choices. Honestly I make the retro brite since it's cheaper to do and not as harsh. Depending if your doing one pair or multiple pairs, you can make the amount you need. Hydrogen peroxide, corn startch, and oxyclean is all you need. If confused , YouTube it for instructions.

Originally Posted by jamazing

For my '01 breds that have slight sole separation, are they safe to wear if the 2/3 of the sole is still intact?

Anyone???
Doubt it. I would assume that it would only get worse until full separation occurs.

Im trying to clean the mesh on my DMP XI. I was wondering, has anyone on here used OXYCLEAN on any JORDANS??

Originally Posted by spizike231

Anyone???
Doubt it. I would assume that it would only get worse until full separation occurs.
You can wear them, my OG's had some slight separation, but after a while they'll start to separate more. 

Anyone???

now are we talking about just the sole or midsole? Either one is a easy fix with barge cement glue. Just regular the affected areas and use rubber bands or shoe strings to tighten the area closed. Let it dry for a day, reapply if necessary. The barge cement will work because I had midsole separation on my snakeskin xi's and used this to fix the problem.

Originally Posted by djaward

Im trying to clean the mesh on my DMP XI. I was wondering, has anyone on here used OXYCLEAN on any JORDANS??

only time I use oxyclean is to clean the netting on the iv's. Other than that I use oxyclean to help make retro brite for clearing the soles on the xi's. For the mesh you want to use rit whitener. Find it in the laundry section and it's safest to clean the mesh and not mess up the texture of the mesh. Barkeeper's friend can be used but it makes the mesh lose it's texture feel. It becomes not as soft.

Originally Posted by spizike231

Hey everyone, new to this thread. Sorry if something like this was already asked / answered many times, but

I have a pair of DMP VI that I'd like to clean the sole of.. not really worried about sea glowing it to get off the yellow.. just want to get the street dirt off of it without really adding to the yellowing process ya know? Any tips would help. Thanks.
tongue.gif
I'd like to know this as well if anyone can pass along some info... I'm also still looking for a way
to restore the gold paint on these, any suggestions? I've heard gold paint markers but I'm a little

skeptical... Thanks in advance.

For my Retr0brite users, how often do you have to make a fresh batch? Can one batch last a whole day or should I make a new batch every time I apply?

^The longer you have the retr0brite sitting the less effective it gets... I make mine as soon as imma start saucing my shoes and most of the times use up all of it. Some people make the sauce, but don't put in the oxiclean until they are going to use it. I would do this if your looking to store it. Once you decide what day to do it, you go to your batch and simply add the oxiclean.

Btw, does anyone know what the best formula for retr0brite is? This is what I'm using, but it doesn't seem to be as effective as others. I'm in houston texas, but we don't really get sun a lot of the times. Thinking about just buying seaglow or retr0brite from restoremysneakers...
Any help is appreciated

-1/2 cup hydrogen peroxide
-1 tbsp of cornstarch
-1/2-1 tbsp of oxy clean

Originally Posted by pimpjobu

Originally Posted by djaward

only time I use oxyclean is to clean the netting on the iv's. Other than that I use oxyclean to help make retro brite for clearing the soles on the xi's. For the mesh you want to use rit whitener. Find it in the laundry section and it's safest to clean the mesh and not mess up the texture of the mesh. Barkeeper's friend can be used but it makes the mesh lose it's texture feel. It becomes not as soft.
Thanks for the info. My dmps look dirty and I want to clean them but 1,  I dont know where to find barkeepers. 2. Cant find any videos and 3. I dont want to damage them. Thanks again, I will look for this next time Im at the grocery store. 

Originally Posted by JE15306

^The longer you have the retr0brite sitting the less effective it gets... I make mine as soon as imma start saucing my shoes and most of the times use up all of it. Some people make the sauce, but don't put in the oxiclean until they are going to use it. I would do this if your looking to store it. Once you decide what day to do it, you go to your batch and simply add the oxiclean.
Good looks. I have some decent success so far using the indoor method. Im doing a pair of Spacejams and 09 Eggplant foams. Im using 3% hydrogen peroxide right now but ive also heard aside the uv rays, the higher the peroxide the better the results will be.

OK I'm trying to restore a pair of Cool Grey XIs I ended up messing up. Dont ask what happened just please offer advice. I fixed the soles with some Gorilla Glue I had. I still gotta peel off the residue. How do I restore the nu buck or the color?
IMG_20120229_200644.jpg

IMG_20120229_200651.jpg

Originally Posted by BoutMyMoney333

Good looks. I have some decent success so far using the indoor method. Im doing a pair of Spacejams and 09 Eggplant foams. Im using 3% hydrogen peroxide right now but ive also heard aside the uv rays, the higher the peroxide the better the results will be.
No problem. I too just use the 3% hydrogen peroxide and it does work, but sometimes I don't have the time to be saucing that day, but most of the time its just cloudy
ohwell.gif
 Was researching and stumbled across 40% hydrogen peroxide (food grade) on amazon, but it was like $50 shipped
mad.gif
 Seemed like a lot to me though, might as well just get the sea glow and its proven to get stuff done. Btw, how much were those indoor lights that you have? I believe fluorescent is the best because of the UV rays. Might look at an indoor setup, because it's secured and you don't have to worry about the weather anymore
grin.gif

No problem. I too just use the 3% hydrogen peroxide and it does work, but sometimes I don't have the time to be saucing that day, but most of the time its just cloudy
ohwell.gif
 Was researching and stumbled across 40% hydrogen peroxide (food grade) on amazon, but it was like $50 shipped
mad.gif
 Seemed like a lot to me though, might as well just get the sea glow and its proven to get stuff done. Btw, how much were those indoor lights that you have? I believe fluorescent is the best because of the UV rays. Might look at an indoor setup, because it's secured and you don't have to worry about the weather anymore
grin.gif
I tried sea glow in the past and dont really like the after effects it leaves on the shoes. Im running with 2 of these 17 watts T8 Bulbs

ohwell.gif
mad.gif
grin.gif
I tried sea glow in the past and dont really like the after effects it leaves on the shoes. Im running with 2 of these 17 watts T8 Bulbs
What side effects does sea glow produce?
nerd.gif
Excuse the ignorance but all that I know of is sole separating which can happen with any kind of cleaner as long as the shoe gets hot enough. I've "Heard" that they loose traction, but never experienced it myself
nerd.gif
 Also, do those 2 bulbs seem to get the job done? Do you notice the yellowness go away significantly? Sorry for all the questions but I have some shoes that I've been trying to restore for a while and the homemade retr0brite isn't as potent as I thought it would be... Have to put a lot of hours to see big changes.

Originally Posted by pimpjobu

Anyone???

now are we talking about just the sole or midsole? Either one is a easy fix with barge cement glue. Just regular the affected areas and use rubber bands or shoe strings to tighten the area closed. Let it dry for a day, reapply if necessary. The barge cement will work because I had midsole separation on my snakeskin xi's and used this to fix the problem.

Specifically the sole is separating from the midsole. the front and back of the sole are in tact but the sole near the carbon fiber has slightly separated. Do I use this cement glue on the midsole? How much do I put on? Does anyone else have any suggestions?

ohwell.gif
mad.gif
grin.gif
What side effects does sea glow produce?
nerd.gif
Excuse the ignorance but all that I know of is sole separating which can happen with any kind of cleaner as long as the shoe gets hot enough. I've "Heard" that they loose traction, but never experienced it myself
nerd.gif
 Also, do those 2 bulbs seem to get the job done? Do you notice the yellowness go away significantly? Sorry for all the questions but I have some shoes that I've been trying to restore for a while and the homemade retr0brite isn't as potent as I thought it would be... Have to put a lot of hours to see big changes.
From experience the soles got dirty VERY easily after I sea glowed them and they seemed to turn yellow even faster afterwards. And it is true that they lose traction, I used to slide all over the damn place
laugh.gif
. Here is what I got so far. The spacejams have 3 days of treatment and the foams have received 1 day. But like I said, im using the indoor method so its going to take a little longer to get good results.

0da356e4e7d5a151128eff52a8bf22cb4549b69.jpg

2152538e67a9f1f7f56ad2e806ebf7d8e1215fa.jpg

I haven't worn my 2011 Concords yet. But I want to. I'm looking for more of a preventative measure to keep the soles clean.

Back
Top Bottom