:::OFFICIAL SNEAKER CARE/MAINTENANCE POST::: (It's back!)

Thinking about customizing some Hyperdunk TB's. There wasn't a thread in Nike so I figured I'd post here.

Where can I get some of the basic tools I would need? Paint, brushes, etc.

Been reading through this thread and found my answer. Reading is fundamental. :smh: at me.

Starting this tonight on my restored 4s. Had J make it for me, and it really looked good to me.

I got black angelus when I got the pewter. :pimp:

Wish me luck

How are you gana paint the rubber part of the midsole?
Or are you swapping it with something else

Starting this tonight on my restored 4s. Had J make it for me, and it really looked good to me.

I got black angelus when I got the pewter. :pimp:

Wish me luck

How are you gana paint the rubber part of the midsole?
Or are you swapping it with something else

I didn't have any black based 4s, and the stitching on the toe is difficult for me, so I painted them. Just tested them under running water and it's strong enough to stick

Teaser

The netting is difficult, but I'll live. I'm going to have to go back and fix a lot of stuff too.

Any tips for removing insoles ? Sounds simple but somebody went extra hard on the glue gun on my True Blues. Going to try the Spenco insoles to see if that will prevent the midsoles cracking
Please keep us updated to see how much it has helped prevent cracking

fnl smh for my friends daughter she dont want to return them so FAM best way to clean it? FNL shoppers what is that spot? lol

fnl smh for my friends daughter she dont want to return them so FAM best way to clean it? FNL shoppers what is that spot? lol
soak a micro fiber towel with water and keep dabbing and holding on the spot..... if that doesnt work try a little hand soap. Dont try any cleaners on that material

Did a search, found nothing. 

Need help removing dye bleed from hemp material.

Specifically, burgundy dye from hemp SB's. 

Any help? 

Im about to start working on my first ever attempt at a custom.

Im using the tiger camo hyperposites as the base shoe.

I need to change the sock liner to black and would like some recommendations on how to go about doing so. Should I paint or dye the sock liner? (if dye, what product should I use?)

Fill a cup with warm water, and then add about two tablespoons of dish soap to the water. Soaps with degreasers help a lot. Grab a tooth brush, dip it into the water and start brushing the material. I work in sections about 2 inches by 2 inches. Brush the section for about a minute, or until you see it getting cleaner. Then, with a dry rag, wipe the section until completely dry. Move on to the next section, repeat. 

If the cloth comes back with color on it, (I.E. if you are cleaning a black based shoe and the cloth comes back black) stop doing this for the dye is coming out of your shoe’s material.
Fairly simple it’s the same as the S/N/D cleaning. Fill a cup with warm water, and then add about two tablespoons of dish soap to the water. Soaps with degreasers help a lot. Grab a tooth brush, dip it into the water and start brushing the material. Wipe it down with a warm cloth.
On models such as the Jordan IV, there is a fairly soft mesh. Purchase some RIT Fabric whitener and brightener. It should be in a small box, it is powder based. Mix this powder with a small amount of water to make a paste. Test the consistency to make sure that there isn’t any clumps in the paste, if there is add a bit more water. Apply the paste to the mesh and let it sit for a minute, and then begin brushing it into the material. Wash out the paste completely. Repeat if necessary.

On models like the Jordan XI with a tougher mesh, use a product named Bar Keepers Friend. Instructions should be on the box.
Always purchase Angelus Leather paint when repainting shoes. It can be found on Turtlefeathers.net for $2 a bottle. 

Midsoles – They crack, it’s fairly annoying. Strip the existing paint off of the midsole with acetone on a cotton ball. Once the paint is gone and the midsole is dry, apply angelus paint to the whole midsole. Make sure to use even brush strokes and distribute the paint evenly. Thin layers are important, multiple thin layers last longer than one big one. 

Leather – Uppers can fade, which is also fairly annoying. Angelus paint can also be applied to leather uppers to give it a better shine. Apply the paint to the entire upper. Seal off all other areas with Frog tape or painters tape. Make sure you use as little paint as possible. Dip the brush into the paint and start from the middle, brush outwards until you cannot spread the paint any further. Then dip again and continue where you left off. Remember, how you apply the paint is how it looks afterwards. Take your time.
SeaGlow is a thing of the past, move on to the cheaper, and safer retr0brite. Instructions on how to make this can easily be found online. After making it, apply it to your clear sole and then wrap it with saran wrap to preserve its’ liquid state. Set it under a UV bulb, or in direct sunlight and allow it to cook for a few hours. 6 hour sessions for about 2 weeks should have any sole cleared up. 

Restoremysneakers created it’s own version of this called “Sauce” which can be purchased on Restoremysneakers.com for $10 a bottle.

Jordan 13 pods – These tend to turn pink after awhile. I recommend retr0brite here, but some would simply paint over it to avoid the hassle. Both would work.
Clear (Jordan Vs) – Unfortunately, this is an impossible fix as of now.

Plastic – Retr0brite it! (Refer to the Yellowed clear bottoms section)
Jordan 11s and 16s with flat patent looks terrible, but it’s an easy fix. Grab a rag, some lotion, and a cup of water. Put some lotion on the rag and begin to rub around the patent leather. Get the whole area. Now wet the other end of the rag, and wipe it down. The dullness should be gone. Now ensure it stays shiny by cleaning it as you would dress shoes. Or use windex after lotioning the PL.
Grab a bottle with a cap, some detergent, and your laces. Put the laces in the bottle, add the detergent, then fill the bottle halfway with warm water. Put the cap on and shake the bottle for 15 minutes. Let it sit for another 15 minutes. Repeat for an hour or so. Empty out the bottle and allow your laces to dry, I usually grab one end of a lace and run it through a towel which I hold tightly around the lace itself. Then I run the lace through the towel to get excess water out of it.
eBay has 3m paints for sale, unfortunately I have only found a 10 pack

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-CASE-6-ca...012?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cc0ab660c

This would work like anything else, seal off any area you don’t want to paint, the apply the 3m reflective paint to the area.
Purchase one of these two glues; Barge Cement(Big jobs), or E-6000(small jobs)

Both dry clear so it doesn't matter which you choose. When you have minor separation, apply a SMALL amount of glue to the area. Using either a q-tip or a toothpick (Yes, that small of an amount.) Make sure you get the entire area. Clamp it down. 25 pounds of pressure for the strongest bond) If you don't own a clamp, hold it down with your hands for about 15 minutes until it begins to cure. 

For large separations, apply a thin layer of barge cement to the entire area. If the midsole is separated from the sole, apply a thin layer of glue to the midsole and sole. Same goes for midsole to upper or any other combination. Clamp it down at 25 pounds of pressure and let it sit. Wait 72 hours before wearing, or exposing them to heat. With larger separations, it's easier to do it bit by bit instead of all at once.
Here is a small, simplified guide to basic cleaning and restoring, this is to stop repetitive questions. Hope this helps

Anyone familiar with the "hemp" material used on these SB's?

Not sure if you can tell but the last owner of these did something to the dye on the swoosh suede and made it bleed. 

Hey guys here's a pair of Air Max 1 B atmos safari's I did for a client. I did a top to bottom restore. Restored the soles, deep cleaned, repainted and reglue the front toe caps.

Some people say use armor all and some say use waterproof spray i just rock em and first sign of yellowing i sea glow or retro bright and they stay iceeeyyyy! Anything with icy soles ou better just prepare to have to use retro or sea glow

dang it. the thought of spending $350, then having to go into the lab with my shoes drives me crazy. I'm not built for this sea glow stuff....I can't even get my IV's netting un-yellowed. I'm sending my IX's to renegade after seeing DS pairs go for $250-$300 on the bay and not be available on NT or SC at all in my size.

Back
Top Bottom