:::OFFICIAL SNEAKER CARE/MAINTENANCE POST::: (It's back!)

Got my jams back today, dude did a pretty good job, theres a few spots on the patent leather where the glue has gone where it shouldn't have, but it's not too bad.

As for how they hold up, I'm yet to test that, but they seem pretty solid.

Any tips that I can do to remove some of the glue spots and smears? I tried a little nail polish remover, didn't do much.

Got my jams back today, dude did a pretty good job, theres a few spots on the patent leather where the glue has gone where it shouldn't have, but it's not too bad.

Any tips that I can do to remove some of the glue spots and smears? I tried a little nail polish remover, didn't do much.

Any idea how I can get rid of the yellowing? I looked on ebay and seaglow is $21 but would it save THIS? would seaglow really whiten the netted parts of the 4's?

I also got a question, how would I clean up these banged up cool greys? and how would I fix that lil scuff on the suede? 

Anyone know where to find the tube style laces found in AM95's?  Looking for a basic white color, I've seen a lot of tube styled laces but none that even looked close to that textured look of the AM95's.  Any info would be appreciated, found nothing using search function here either.  Those 4's can be whitened using the seaglow / peroxide, oxi mix.  May never be truly white again but it will remove most of that discoloration on the rubber midsole and netting for sure.  Works like a charm on my old dunks to bring that midsole back to life.  

Last edited:
got some quetions regarding retrobrite indoor setup:for the folks who do retrobrite indoor. how do you set up your setup? as far as light goes, what type of light did you use and where was it purchase? how long is each session?thanks!

got some quetions regarding retrobrite indoor setup: for the folks who do retrobrite indoor. how do you set up your setup? as far as light goes, what type of light did you use and where was it purchase? how long is each session? thanks!
Make sure you saran wrap the area that you have the retrobrite on, as it will dry out of not covered up. Once it dries out, it's a PITA to clean off. You can use UV bulbs from Petsmart to get the job done, I think I got these: http://www.exo-terra.com/en/products/linear_fluorescent_bulbs.php  the 10.0 ones that say Desert, as they give off the highest UV amount. You can go to Lowe's or Home Depot and find a light fixture for those bulbs, just make sure you match up the right length of fixture with the right length bulb. You'll also have to find some way to wire the lighting fixture; meaning the lighting fixture will have exposed wires, so you'll have to buy some type of A/C plug that has exposed wires on the other end.

Hope that all makes sense!

Yeah sealing your shoes up in anything is a bad idea imo. Especially that vacuum sealed plastic that you see shoes wrapped up in on racks in some stores. Ziplocks and saran wrap aren't as bad since you can still take the shoes out to get some air, but I still wouldn't recommend it. The leather and other materials on shoes need to be exposed to air and even some moisture or else they'll dry up and be in terrible shape when the time comes for you to wear them. Just store them in the box in a dark place (pretty much the definition of a closet
laugh.gif
). I personally keep a plastic cup filled with silica gel packets on a shelf in my closet to get rid of the excess moisture, but some people even advise against that.

Another thing that I'd recommend for shoes that you're trying to stow away for awhile is to wear them every so often. Even if it's just for 10-15 minutes around the house. It'll get them used to bearing weight and flexing and bending.For example, a pair of Retro IVs from 1999 that are DS and have been sitting in a closet for the past 15 years has a MUCH higher chance of falling apart and crumbling upon wearing them compared to a pair that's been worn throughout the years (even if those wears were for just a few minutes around the house).
I only saran wrap my sneakers w/ icey soles (XI's mainly) but I only saran wrap the sole. I leave the rest of the sneaker open to air and just wrap a few times the mid and bottom sole. I make sure it's not stupid tight, rather just a few wraps that are a little loose. I figure that this will still allow air to get to the sneakers, just not as much as w/o saran wrap and my hopes is that less air = less oxygen = less yellowing over time.

My logic could be flawed, but oh well :smile:

Sounds good. If I'm struggling with mine, I'll resort to this. 
Any idea how I can get rid of the yellowing? I looked on ebay and seaglow is $21 but would it save THIS? would seaglow really whiten the netted parts of the 4's?

I also got a question, how would I clean up these banged up cool greys? and how would I fix that lil scuff on the suede? 
I'm not sure if seaglow works on this. I even think the company that sells it explicitly says it doesn't work on netting

Anyone know where to find the tube style laces found in AM95's?  Looking for a basic white color, I've seen a lot of tube styled laces but none that even looked close to that textured look of the AM95's.  Any info would be appreciated, found nothing using search function here either.  Those 4's can be whitened using the seaglow / peroxide, oxi mix.  May never be truly white again but it will remove most of that discoloration on the rubber midsole and netting for sure.  Works like a charm on my old dunks to bring that midsole back to life.  
http://www.shoelacesexpress.com/

Retrobrite should work on that, although I've never tried Retrobrite on netting like that. I would try it on a small section and see how it works. Should definitely work on the sole.

Anyone know how to take these stains off of some anniversary 11s? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

For the netting i dont think there is a whitening process for the 4s. Youre going to have to repaint them white.
Anyone know how to take these stains off of some anniversary 11s? Thanks in advance.
Mr. Clean Magic Eraser

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey fam, just posting another swap that I've finished recently. Air Jordan 1999 Columbia 4 Sole Swap:

Note: They look like they've been only repainted, but I didn't get a chance to take a picture while they were crumbled. The only time I had a chance was when I had fully swapped the midsoles. On my IG, I had pictures of them gutted and ready to swap. It showed my process of the reglue stage and my repaint stage. 

What isn't shown on the "before" picture is how beat they were to begin with. Of course my description on how beat there were doesn't do justice but I'll describe it nevertheless. The toecap had marks and scuffs, dirt on the leather uppers, laces were dingy and yellow, midsole was obviously crumbled and unwearable.

Hope you guys enjoy and God bless! My instagram is johnandrew00 for anyone interested in the before picture.

Hey fam, just posting another swap that I've finished recently. Air Jordan 1999 Columbia 4 Sole Swap:

Note: They look like they've been only repainted, but I didn't get a chance to take a picture while they were crumbled. The only time I had a chance was when I had fully swapped the midsoles. On my IG, I had pictures of them gutted and ready to swap. It showed my process of the reglue stage and my repaint stage. 

What isn't shown on the "before" picture is how beat they were to begin with. Of course my description on how beat there were doesn't do justice but I'll describe it nevertheless. The toecap had marks and scuffs, dirt on the leather uppers, laces were dingy and yellow, midsole was obviously crumbled and unwearable.

Hope you guys enjoy and God bless! My instagram is johnandrew00 for anyone interested in the before picture.
Awesome work for one. Did you use angelus paint? What finish did you use after you painted them?

How can I remove heel tab creases and the little creases right before the toebox? Specifically on retro 11 lows

Anyone know how to change black suede to a different color? Should I bleach it first or how do I get the color off?

No one really answered my question on Page 255.

I have a soleswapped pair of OG Jordan black tongue Firered V's and they have a lot of excess glue from where the sole of the shoe meets the top of the shoe.

How should I get this off without damaging the leather? Right now I was thinking about rubbing alcohol.

Does any conditioning of the leather needs to be done before the shoes will be wearable? The leather is 23 years old afterall.

Pics of the shoes with lots of excess glue is back on page 255.

Back
Top Bottom