:::OFFICIAL SNEAKER CARE/MAINTENANCE POST::: (It's back!)

I see a lot of people selling retrobrite or seaglow on ebay, are those legit or are they just mixing random **** and selling them?

No one really answered my question on Page 255.

I have a soleswapped pair of OG Jordan black tongue Firered V's and they have a lot of excess glue from where the sole of the shoe meets the top of the shoe.

How should I get this off without damaging the leather? Right now I was thinking about rubbing alcohol.

Does any conditioning of the leather needs to be done before the shoes will be wearable? The leather is 23 years old afterall.

Pics of the shoes with lots of excess glue is back on page 255.
I didn't want to download the pictures. 

If you uploaded it correctly, it would show like mine. I put "Insert Image" NOT insert attachment. 

No one really answered my question on Page 255.

I have a soleswapped pair of OG Jordan black tongue Firered V's and they have a lot of excess glue from where the sole of the shoe meets the top of the shoe.

How should I get this off without damaging the leather? Right now I was thinking about rubbing alcohol.

Does any conditioning of the leather needs to be done before the shoes will be wearable? The leather is 23 years old afterall.

Pics of the shoes with lots of excess glue is back on page 255.
I took a look at them.. You did more damage than good. There is no way to repair the shoes now. Just rock them the way they are or else you'll damage them further. If you try to sell, they won't sell for more than 160 - 200 with the OG box, lacelocks, card, etc.

The OG black tongue 5 have synthetic leather. It's weak and brittle if not stored properly. If this was your first swap, I highly recommend staying off OG's and practice swapping retros. It looks like you used gorilla glue. I suggest using Barge Cement next time, Good luck with your future swaps. This mistake will lead to many successes in the future.

How should I store my Concords?

I have my Bred 11s out of the box on a display in the closet.

Was wondering if doing the same with the Concords would speed up the yellowing.

The front part of the midsole (the toe cap like area) is yellowing on my BC 3's and I rarely wear them. What's a good way to fix/ stop the yellowing. Can post pics as well...

^ I've heard teeth whiteners work pretty well. Can't remember if gel or paste but did wonders for yellowed midsoles on 1994 1s. Should be similar. Just my opinion

After one 7 hour session with retro bright.

Great results my dude. You put saran wrap on the soles so the retrobrite didn't dry out right? And did you leave the shoes under the lights for 7 hours straight?

Thanks man and Yea I did I always do that and yup I left them under intill I got back from work I'm putting them back under now.

Good work. I use seaglow but sometimes I can't tell if it works because I'm constantly going over it.
I've never tried sea glow I heard it can cause damage if you get it in the shoe retro bright is all good if you get it on the shoe you can just whipe it off.

Good work. I use seaglow but sometimes I can't tell if it works because I'm constantly going over it.
I've never tried sea glow I heard it can cause damage if you get it in the shoe retro bright is all good if you get it on the shoe you can just whipe it off.
My concord soles are completely separated and need to be glued, that's not a factor right now. The indoor method fixes that with seaglow. It works, just take a while.

My concord soles are completely separated and need to be glued, that's not a factor right now. The indoor method fixes that with seaglow. It works, just take a while.
That's what I use the indoor method but I have some zen 11 lows that were pretty much orange when I got them but they won't come completely clear there staying a shade of yellow that I can't get off.

That's what I use the indoor method but I have some zen 11 lows that were pretty much orange when I got them but they won't come completely clear there staying a shade of yellow that I can't get off.
My opinion is either method is pretty much the same. I don't even know if I did it correctly with seaglow. I should stop being lazy and buy the light and do the whole setup, I just put it under one of those daylight type lamps in a box with foil to reflect it. It did a little bit to improve it.

My opinion is either method is pretty much the same. I don't even know if I did it correctly with seaglow. I should stop being lazy and buy the light and do the whole setup, I just put it under one of those daylight type lamps in a box with foil to reflect it. It did a little bit to improve it.
Yea I have 4 lights in total 2 reptile uva bulbs and 2 daylight bulbs and shine all 4 if them in a box full with tin foil

Last edited:
Yea I have 4 lights in total 2 reptile uva bulbs and 2 daylight bulbs and shine all 4 if them in a box full with tin foil
Good setup. When you did 7 hours was it consecutive? Or was it over several days?

Ok. I did about 20 hours over the course of a week then got tired of it. I did that with my cool grey XI's.
Yea man it gets tiring after a while with those Zens they were so had they looked like citrus lows I put so much work into them I would leave them on overnight all day for about 2 weeks straight and all the yellow still wont cone off

Last edited:
Ok. I did about 20 hours over the course of a week then got tired of it. I did that with my cool grey XI's.
Yea man it gets tiring after a while with those Zens they were so had they looked like citrus lows I put so much work into them I would leave them on overnight all day for about 2 weeks straight and all the yellow still wont cone off
It's rough, If it's too bad, it's a lot of work for the shoe but it can be done. My CG's aren't that bad.

It's rough, If it's too bad, it's a lot of work for the shoe but it can be done. My CG's aren't that bad.
I also did my cool greys pretty much got them back to DS looking only thing that came back was the yellowing around the pods

Careful when leaving them in the sun or in front of lights for too long. I have seen shoes get so hot that the glue starts to melt between the sole and midsole. So just be careful you may also become and expert in re=gluing soles. Also I'm currently restoring my 99 retro V Black/Metallic Silver/Varsity red. I wore them when I was a freshman in high school for basketball. Now they have some sweat stains on the 3M tongue....anybody have any idea what I could get that out with?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom