:::OFFICIAL SNEAKER CARE/MAINTENANCE POST::: (It's back!)

ok, so i have a few questions i need to redye the black suede on the vi but not sure if some of the imperfections will be removed.ANybody have any experience with this? and how do i remove creasing from the sides? I was thinking of using a steam gun or something similar. And for repainting i wanted to airbrush them which seems easier but was wondering how i would do it like preparing the paint to be sprayed. Also Is the fire red color from angelus at least comparable to the one on the shoe or does it look off?

And i bought these vans to dye the cheetah print all black. Y'all think all black tie dye would do the job? Or what can i do to paint it the material is cloth-like maybe cotton

Guys. I need some help. Just read the last 10 pages and didn't seen anything about it tho I know it exists in the thread.
Just got some 00 Concords. Everything is structurally great. No beef with the yellow soles either. Just need help with what to use for the upper mesh. Only thing I can think of is retrobrite and bartenders friend. I think one dulls the upper. Any help?

Last edited:
bigj505 bigj505 that was the most frustrating thing ever for me. Here is the most popular solution and possibly best.

And here are the final results guys. this is after 5 applications of the rit.

Before:

After:

I used RIT.

MIX ratio i used:

1 Cup of boiling hot water w/ 1/4 cup of rit whitener and brightener (liquid)

1 Cup of boiling hot water w/ 1/4 cup of Color Safe Bleach

1 Cup of boiling hot water w/ 1/4 of laundry detergent

1 Cup of warm water

1st i used the applied the safe bleach mixture, than the rit, than the detergent. Than i got all the soap out with water. Make sure you wait about 5-10 minutes between each interval to allow each mixture enough time to soak into the shoe and do it's work. DO NOT RINSE YOUR SHOE BETWEEN EACH INTERVAL! Only rinse out the shoe at the end.

I took an old t-shirt and and tried to get as much water out as i can. After that i put the shoes out it in front of a fan so they can dry. Let dry for about 6 hours. Than repeat the process about 4-5 times.

Should take about 3-4 days.

Items i used were a soft toothbrush and a white sponge. Applied each mixture 1st with the toothbrush than the sponge. Order makes no difference. Please don't scrub hard.

http://niketalk.com/t/15471/official-sneaker-care-maintenance-post-its-back/3600_50

^informative page in general too because there is comparison pictures between BKF and RIT.

In my personal experience, I probably should have followed the instructions more closely. My water was too hot and possibly burned my mesh. BKF made my mesh pretty dry because it's hard to get the paste out. I was watching a video of dru on YouTube that he leaves the rit overnight to "work it's magic" but I'm not sure if it worked enough because after the rinse, the change was hardly noticeable. But rit (liquid) or even BKF (liquid) would be the safest and most effective way if used correctly. Definitely no powder for that during reason. I could never get it right though and gave up after I kind of burned my mesh/some black dye or something seeping through. Some other methods I thought of on my own is using vinegar as a safe whitener for my rinse after rit but I haven't tried it.

Btw, congrats on the pickup. :lol:
2000 Concords >>>

Last edited:
if you use barkeepers friend just make sure you rinse it off completely or it will burn the mesh always keep it wet and scrub lightly with a soft brisstle toothbrush because it is an abrasive and can do damage if scrubbed too hard

if you use barkeepers friend just make sure you rinse it off completely or it will burn the mesh always keep it wet and scrub lightly with a soft brisstle toothbrush because it is an abrasive and can do damage if scrubbed too hard

Thanks. Gonna go the RIT route for sure. Not trying to destroy the shoes and I'm a novice.

bigj505 bigj505 pretty hard to find in store for me here in LA. Even Walmart just has the powdered version. I just bought on amazon

And no problem fam.

Last edited:
bigj505 bigj505 pretty hard to find in store for me here in LA. Even Walmart just has the powdered version. I just bought on amazon

And no problem fam.

thanks. do u have a link i can use for the amazon purchase? imma get my coworker to order it since i don't have prime :lol:

bigj505 bigj505 lol I gotta be honest, you got me itching to go find a pair on the low and try whitening again.

If I could do it differently though, I wish I had another yellowed white fabric or something similar to that nylon mesh maybe to practice and see what works. That's what made it hurt the most cause I did it on a DS pair without really knowing what's the best way and I messed it up.

bigj505 bigj505 that was the most frustrating thing ever for me. Here is the most popular solution and possibly best.

http://niketalk.com/t/15471/official-sneaker-care-maintenance-post-its-back/3600_50

^informative page in general too because there is comparison pictures between BKF and RIT.

In my personal experience, I probably should have followed the instructions more closely. My water was too hot and possibly burned my mesh. BKF made my mesh pretty dry because it's hard to get the paste out. I was watching a video of dru on YouTube that he leaves the rit overnight to "work it's magic" but I'm not sure if it worked enough because after the rinse, the change was hardly noticeable. But rit (liquid) or even BKF (liquid) would be the safest and most effective way if used correctly. Definitely no powder for that during reason. I could never get it right though and gave up after I kind of burned my mesh/some black dye or something seeping through. Some other methods I thought of on my own is using vinegar as a safe whitener for my rinse after rit but I haven't tried it.

Btw, congrats on the pickup. :lol:
2000 Concords >>>

I had no idea people still referenced my tutorial. I'm glad people find it to be very useful:

Here are a few more projects that i've been meaning to work on for the past 2 years.. One day i'll find the time to work on them

Re-glueing the soles of my cool gray's. I have one 1 wear like once a year and another i keep on ice.

Whitening of the mesh and icing of the soles

Last edited:
ccastro02 ccastro02 lol yeah man yours has been the most successful one I've seen after hours and hours spent on researching when I first got back into the shoe game by buying some beater concords. Gonna get it right some day. Please update us on how your restoration goes

If i ever get to it, i'll keep you guys posted.

If anyone has questions about whitening mesh please feel free to send me a pm or quote me in this thread.

bigj505 bigj505 lol I gotta be honest, you got me itching to go find a pair on the low and try whitening again.

If I could do it differently though, I wish I had another yellowed white fabric or something similar to that nylon mesh maybe to practice and see what works. That's what made it hurt the most cause I did it on a DS pair without really knowing what's the best way and I messed it up.
I hear ya man. I'm honestly too lazy to do so these days. I got this pair for 170 shipped but didn't realize the mesh was so yellow. The rest of the shoe is on point tho just like castros pair was. Gonna be a project for sure. The only things I've done were sea glow on pearl foams and teeth whitener on the white soles of some navy and white flightposite Is. Modest results on both.

If i ever get to it, i'll keep you guys posted.

If anyone has questions about whitening mesh please feel free to send me a pm or quote me in this thread.

I certainly appreciate your offer and will PM you if something is unclear for me. Thanks

ccastro02 ccastro02 thank you I'll probably take you up on that offer sometime this year too when I recover from the holidays and I find a pair of concords again.

bigj505 bigj505 I get where your coming from. It's not fun either if it's not working as much as you hoped. I was gonna have a professional just whiten it for me after messing it up but it was like $130. :x Takes a lot of patience and perseverance to whiten a pair of sneakers :lol:

Just stopped my concords from squeaking by using the baby powder method, that feeling when you're surprised it worked tho!

Last edited:
Wow I just found a video of a guy detaching his soles with boiling water. Seems intense lol I might try that out instead of buying a heat gun

does anyone know how to get this out I think its from my receipt the ink bleed out when it gets hot.I've tried everything.

Is sneakeredge.bigcartel legit? Im pretty sure they are just need some more opinions
This is the wrong forum to be asking youd probably get better results in the LC forums.... The 11's on that site look sketchy imo even though their youth the tounge looks off to me so it would be your call

Back
Top Bottom