:::OFFICIAL SNEAKER CARE/MAINTENANCE POST::: (It's back!)

I'm gonna be repainting some dtrt 3s and I want to make sure I don't get any paint on the nubuck... Any tips other than taping it up

^^^arent those the ones that already look all scuffed up? Are you talking about the mesh part?

Hey guys I have question, to any of the experienced restorers/sole swappers. Would I be able to use the carbon fiber shank plate of a size 11 pair of XI's on a size 10.5?

THE JORDAN 1 CLEAN AND CARE POST:
My weapons of choice:
-Bowl with some water and a little dishwashing soap to rinse my brush every now and then
-Hard bristle brush (Because we are working with a Rubber midsole)
-Knock-off Magic Eraser

My procedure:
1. Put a little dishwashing soap on my brush with a some water
2. Scrubbing that rubber midsole with my brush, getting an general cleaning 
3. Wipe a little and see if it's completely white or not
4. If not, go scrubbing with my "Magic Eraser", getting a detailed clean for those stubborn stains

TIP: Try to clean your midsoles once they get dirty ASAP. Leaving dirt can oxidize with the midsole, making it harder to clean because it is now stained. (Thats why the Generic Magic Eraser is so helpful)

BEFORE AND AFTER:
Not too much going on here. I have a Jason Markk Cleaner that is pretty versatile and easy to use for general cleaning. I first bought it when I started cleaning shoes. I also have a soft bristle brush and my trusty ol' bowl with a new solution containing Jason Markk cleaner. It's just a simple scrub and wipe dry, nothing else to really say. Just follow directions on the cleaner. The reason I change to soft bristle is because it's a safety precation. I don't want a harsh abrasive on the leather upper just to be safe. 

TIP: DO NOT USE WATER FOR CLEANING SUEDE (à la Laneys). That requires special attention and I personally use a specialized cleaner for that. You will stain the suede with water.  
Weapons of choice:
-Leather Care Liminent Conditioner 
-Applicator Pad (Included)
-Cleaned Jordan 1

My procedure:
This was the first time ever I have done this kind of thing. Basically I did
1. Unlace my Jordan 1s
2. Shake bottle
3. Pour a little conditioner on to applicator pad
4. Wipe onto leather upper
5. Gently buff it out with a rag afterwards
6. Let it sit for the conditioner to do it's magic. 

I thought it would be best to just put conditioner on the right shoe so it would be easier to compare. 

Initially I was a little worried because all my 1's had a shiny look to them, and it's bad to over condition your leather I learned after I googled it (I was kinda soaking it with conditioner):

(In b4 GM 
roll.gif
)

AND as I was using the applicator pad, I noticed a little of the color of red and blue wiping off:

(Kind of hard to see the faint tint but it's there, trust me)

But, I gave it a couple of hours to do it's magic and I checked again to see that the leather regained it's matte look and it was not as shiny. I couldn't tell much of a difference between the leathers until I spent a lot of time taking pictures and feeling the texture. The leather is really moisturized and not dry as the unconditioned pair by touch. And you can really see that the leather soaked up in the conditioner, becoming a tad thicker and more squishy. I also feel like the colors brightened up a little too (Could be a placebo/lighting/eye trickery effect to 
laugh.gif
). 

^noticed the thickened edges of the leather on the left picture of the conditioned shoe

^More wrinkle and slightly softer as shown on the conditioned shoe of the left picture. (It feels more "gushy" thanks to the conditioner)

^Notice he thickness difference of the red leather edge underneath the wings (left conditioned, right unconditioned)

^THEM RED EDGES OF THE TOP PAIR THO!

Overall though, I feel like this conditioner saved me from some noob mistakes. I definitely love the conditioner and I would recommend it if you want to add some years of life to your shoes to give it a softer texture, and less dryness and better the quality. I also feel like applying the conditioner leaves a protective layer over the leather. Just gotta be careful about the procedure but it's a great product. 
Hope this helps out my fellow NTers out there. Thanks for reading! 
nthat.gif

^ Nice job on those 1s. I can see the subtle differences in the shoes that you used the leather conditioner on so I'm sure it looks even better in person. I'm definitely gonna order that.

Another tip I have for cleaning white rubber midsoles is to use whitening/baking soda toothpaste (paste, not gel). After cleaning with soap/water, I apply the toothpaste and let it sit for around 5 mins and then rinse it off. It works really well for older shoes with "aged" (don't know how else to describe it :lol:) looking midsoles.

Side note: Those Royals :pimp: :pimp:. Ever since I missed out on this year's release I've been looking for a steal on some worn OGs that I could bring back to life with some deep cleaning. They're close to impossible to find though. They're either beat beyond recognition or DS so I'm still on the hunt :lol:.

Last edited:
lol thanks guys.

stick stick yeah man I've also heard that method. It is really great for whitening your midsole if it's yellowed or just to keep it extra white in general lol. I might do that next time for fun.

Good luck on that hunt though! You should definitely post pics here when you get a pair. I'm sure everyone in this thread would enjoy it lol. Best thing is though that OGs can be beat, and still be worn and look good. :lol:

Working on cleaning up some anthracite foams I copped today at a sneaker expo
Nothing special, but scrubbing down the entire show inside and out with Jason Markk. Clean shoe on the left obviously. They look amazing

Thanks. These were dirty, a lot more than I noticed when purchased but cleaned up excellent. No scuffs anywhere. Original owner treated them well

So right fam. I mean they have a great idea and lazy people, myself being one, will just buy it from them not thinking, cop a roll from the source and cut out the middle man. Yeah I'm definitely getting a roll cause it does works.
Did you get your 3m? Im working on some traction on mine. I found a spray that we used on RC track before when we do race and it works really good with traction on my shoe. Since the sole protector does not have any traction at all, very dangerous . I will post some picture when im done .

Don't really see a huge difference. Foams are hard to mess up anyway :lol:

Agreed! The sick liner between the tongue and the outer had some debris build up and the sole was dusty, that's about it. Scrubbed em down heavy with Jason markk and let em sit overnight. Plan to wear em soon, been looking for em for a long time

Are Reptiglow lights the only ones everyone's using, or are there better bulbs/lights on the market?

Was browsing lights for indoor gardening/planting, they seem better but pricy.

Are Reptiglow lights the only ones everyone's using, or are there better bulbs/lights on the market?

Was browsing lights for indoor gardening/planting, they seem better but pricy.

That's what I bought here's a pic of the ones I use I got em off amazon

Back
Top Bottom