:::OFFICIAL SNEAKER CARE/MAINTENANCE POST::: (It's back!)

Hi,

I'm trying to do a midsole swap on a vintage sneaker with a retro. However, the lengths of the midsoles don't seem to be even, even though they are both marked as being the same size. Is it possible to cut or sand the midsole down to make it fit the vintage outsole and upper?

Thanks. Also, I'm trying to get the midsole off the donor pair and then the outsole off the midsole but they don't seem to want to budge. Specifically I'm trying to restore a pair of vintage Reebok Pumps with a pair of retro midsoles. I've tried steaming them, soaking them in boiling water, pouring and leaving boiling water inside the shoes, and pouring and leaving acetone inside the shoes. The midsoles won't budge at all. Any tips?

Last edited:
Yes. Make sure you buy the premium brush and FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS for cleaning suede and nubuck.

Thanks. So just the basic one though right? 'Essential/Starter Shoe Cleaning Kit?

Exactly what he said.
I just did a pair of the same exact shoe, they had a fair amount of dark spots on them and now they look great. Make sure you get that premium brush, and use a very small amount of water, don't soak the shoe. And dab it dry soon after

I don't have "before" pictures but here's how they look now

Exactly what he said.
I just did a pair of the same exact shoe, they had a fair amount of dark spots on them and now they look great. Make sure you get that premium brush, and use a very small amount of water, don't soak the shoe. And dab it dry soon after

I don't have "before" pictures but here's how they look now

Ok so I should just get the premium brush and use water?

with the JM cleaner, yes. dab a bit of water, shake it out, then drop some cleaner... scrub the necessary area on shoe, and dab dry. repeat.

Has anyone used Gorilla Glue to fix slight sole separation, using it on a Space Jam out-sole wondering if the white color it turns when dry will show through the icy sole? thanks

Gorilla Glue dries hard, thus I would imagine it's only good for a few wears before it cracks and begins to separate again on a high wear application such as a shoe.

I recommend E-6000 or Barge Cement. Be aware that the key to good hold is a thin layer. Look at how much glue Nike uses from the factory. It's very sparsely applied. People often over do it with the cement, unaware that it's bonding properties are stronger when applied lightly.

are the 2001 release fo the Jordan XI wearable?

Most Jordans XI and up use an Ethylene-vinyl acetate midsole. This kind of foam is not susceptible to crumbling like older models (II-X) that used Polyurethane midsoles. Worst case scenario, you get some sole separation, but that's an easy fix.

Even II-X models use Ethylene-vinyl acetate midsoles now. I think this started around 05/06 with the X retros and IIIs. While Ethylene-vinyl acetate midsoles do have the benefit of not crumbling, they aren't as soft or comfortable as the older Polyurethane releases. The difference in comfort between 01 and older IIIs vs 06 and up is night and day.

Last edited:
So i just got a pair of 2001 XI Bred and they have some separations whats the best glue to fix these , or should i take them to a shoe repair place and have them do it?

Back
Top Bottom