:::OFFICIAL SNEAKER CARE/MAINTENANCE POST::: (It's back!)

Going to start a little restoration project on my WC IIIs next week.

Midsole paint is in bad condition after a year in storage, depending on how it comes out I might try to bring my Varsity Reds back to life

Anyway to fix this?

Anyone ever used the angelus easy cleaner? Saw some youtube videos and people say it works better than Jason Marrks

Anyone ever used the angelus easy cleaner? Saw some youtube videos and people say it works better than Jason Marrks
Actually yeah, I've heard they're better than JM. Gonna buy one next week

EDIT: Nvm, just gonna use shoe goo instead. I'm gonna whiten the midsoles first. Will teeth whiteners suffice?

Last edited:
Will Angelus Leather Paint do the trick? And which standard color? Not trying to pay collector edition since I probably won't use it in the future. 

40 salon care question.

I used it a few month back on the toe cap of my french blue viis and it worked great but today when I wore them it seems that they are yellowed again pretty bad has anyone ever run into that situation before of 40 not holding up and making it yellowed again in a short period of time?
anyone have a answer for this?

anyone have a answer for this?
Its not going to be as white as before. And yes its going to yellow again. I tried it, sometimes it last longer and sometimes it gets yellowed again in a couple of days. ( im just talking about toe caps, plastic parts, etc. Non icy areas). On the other hand, if you use it on the icy sole, it works well.

Last edited:
Try using plus white instead. I've seen videos of using plus white on rubber midsoles. They work well.

edit: can I use any acrylic paint besides angelus? There's a lot of sellers here but they charge $10 for a 1 oz bottle. 

Last edited:
Will Angelus Leather Paint do the trick? And which standard color? Not trying to pay collector edition since I probably won't use it in the future. 

you're either going have to get the collector edition varsity or try your luck with mixing colors. Is that the only spot you have cracking at?

I just grabbed the 1oz varsity for my VIs, thought about getting the Infrared but didn't wanna be out here frauding :lol:

So im gonna repaint my OG 13's that have some red bleed on the white leather , my OG 17's that have some leather scuffs and my QS XX's that also have leather scuffs scrapes.

Do i need to get flat black angelus paint ? and any other matertials for them to look as original as posible?

thank you

Last edited:
Where is the best place to cop Jason Markk premium brush and the cleaner?
This is supposed to be just as good http://angelusdirect.com/collections/clean?gclid=CPfTgKLMuMcCFYmPHwodeHkH6Q

Didn't get a clean strip on the midsole of my IIIs so the paint has some weird looking spots on it smh.. Was using some fugazi nail polish remover that was only like 30% acetone so it didn't get everything as smooth as I'd like on one shoe but I don't want to re-strip it again

Probably should of grabbed a paint file from Lowes but didn't want to spend any extra money. Other shoe is fine though lol going to finish them up when I get home. Might start work on my VIs tonight too

Posting pics later

need some help, advice. I just did a laser fragment custom. The dye seeped through the tape I had applied and got on the white rubber midsole. I tried using angelus deglazer but I think the dye set in. Its not really coming off. Any other ideas. I have some acetone but I havent tried it yet. My only idea of a solution I have right now is painting the rubber white and getting some sealer to make it stay. If there is any other methods I should try PLEASE let me know.

Just a few questions for the experts

When restoring soles people always say to worry about the sole separating from the shoe.  Is this caused mainly by the heat from placing them outside in the sun or by anything else ?  It has nothing to do with the sauce right ?

Also is it true that all "sauces" deteriorate the traction off the soles ?  Do all sauces do this ?  even when you're un yellowing brand new shoes ? Is it really noticeable ? Which sauce is the best for not wearing down the sole ?

and after unyellowing soles do they turn back yellow right away ? like much quicker than they normally would ?  Is there a sauce that works better in this aspect than others ?

Just a few questions for the experts

When restoring soles people always say to worry about the sole separating from the shoe.  Is this caused mainly by the heat from placing them outside in the sun or by anything else ?  It has nothing to do with the sauce right ?

Also is it true that all "sauces" deteriorate the traction off the soles ?  Do all sauces do this ?  even when you're un yellowing brand new shoes ? Is it really noticeable ? Which sauce is the best for not wearing down the sole ?

and after unyellowing soles do they turn back yellow right away ? like much quicker than they normally would ?  Is there a sauce that works better in this aspect than others ?

Yes you do worry but only from the heat of the sun. If its really hot (like in LA 90-100) then yea I say do them in increments of shorter times. This will cause for more sessions and more time for the sauce to work but seperation from the sauce. No that wont happen. Use some ice packs inside the shoes to help with the heat also. I use the Air Legends Ice bags here's the link http://airlegendsla.com/collections/sole-products/products/air-legends-ice-bags

I have had some traction loss but not bad at all. its minimal if you ask me but some others may have had more so I say keep asking but I havent had major traction loss. Also most if not all will cause some kind be it minimal or not but thats just my opinion.

Sole will yellow again its just going to happen. It's all on your wear and tear. Its going to happen. Again this is my opinion from the work Ive done but the process of yellowing is not any quicker because of the sauce.

Hope that helped. I use airlegends products and I use angelus also. Its your preference on what to use but those are the 2 companies that I generally deal with for all my restoration/custom needs.

Yes you do worry but only from the heat of the sun. If its really hot (like in LA 90-100) then yea I say do them in increments of shorter times. This will cause for more sessions and more time for the sauce to work but seperation from the sauce. No that wont happen. Use some ice packs inside the shoes to help with the heat also. I use the Air Legends Ice bags here's the link http://airlegendsla.com/collections/sole-products/products/air-legends-ice-bags

I have had some traction loss but not bad at all. its minimal if you ask me but some others may have had more so I say keep asking but I havent had major traction loss. Also most if not all will cause some kind be it minimal or not but thats just my opinion.

Sole will yellow again its just going to happen. It's all on your wear and tear. Its going to happen. Again this is my opinion from the work Ive done but the process of yellowing is not any quicker because of the sauce.

Hope that helped. I use airlegends products and I use angelus also. Its your preference on what to use but those are the 2 companies that I generally deal with for all my restoration/custom needs.
Thanks for the prompt and elaborate reply !

I never knew soles separated from shoes in outdoor heat.  That really shocked me because I've felt I've left plenty of sneakers in hot cars, beaches, back porches for hours in the summer, that's why I was confused thinking it was the sauce,  but thanks for letting me know !

I have a handful of DS never worn sneakers with icy soles , plastic nets (like the Jordan 5s) , and white midsoles I'm looking to restore due to mild yellowing after many years of storage. I might decide to sell a few so I'm trying to do the most effective, cleanest job possible without messing up the regular appearance of the shoe in any way.

So airlegends and Angelus would be who you recommend most right ? Have you had any experience with Sea glow,  Salon Care 40, Traditional Retrobrite or any of the other common or popular methods ?  Which would you say is the most effective and safest (least traction lost) for my particular situation ?

I was thinking about going the SalonCare 40 + Oxy Clean route, maybe with a little corn starch to help thicken the sauce because all the ingredients are immediately accessible without me having to order anything.   Any idea if this sauce is as effective and relatively safe compared to the other sauces out there ?  Is traditional retrobrite better ?  I'm also still considering other sauces I'll have to order online like the ones you recommended.

Also do you have to be very careful in covering/protecting the parts of the sole you're not trying to unyellow ? like the non icy or non white ? Meaning do these sauces strip the color or visibly alter those parts ?

Thanks Again !

Last edited:
Just use Jason Markk with the premium brush, unless the scuff was heavily damaging

Back
Top Bottom