:::OFFICIAL SNEAKER CARE/MAINTENANCE POST::: (It's back!)

yea sea glow is the wierdest thing i have heard of to clean sneakers, it was made for boats but for some reason if you put it on the sole of the v's vi's or xi's and leave it out in the sun its supposed to make them almost completely clear again but it eats the glue used on the sole, ive never used it before and if it did that to the bred vi's then ill just let the soles yellow, not worth ruining sneakers like that just to fix up the soles

For sole separation, which is better:  shoe goo or gorilla glue?  I have both and need to fix minor separation on the toe for a pair of XI's.  For those who have used both, is there a preference?  Thanks in advance
pimp.gif

Sup Guys,
I don't really post in here, or on NT in general that often. Too much 5th grade behavior and not enough helpful information.
Anyway I recently copped some DMP 11's for a decent price, but when I got them, the white upper looked HELLA dingy, pretty disappointing considering how excited I was to have these sneakers. So I sifted through all the pages of this extensive thread and found the perfect solution. The only negative was I wasn't convinced with the proof that is offered here. Especially with the seemingly on going debate between using Bar Keeper's Friend and RIT? I decided to go with the BKF..... here is what I've accomplished so far, far from done... I'll probably update when I make some more progress.

Ps. Any advice on cleaning the laces? I was thinking a diluted water/bleach solution in a water bottle or something along those lines....
PPs. These were taken with the most amazing cell phone on the planet...the iPhone 4.... so i know the quality is lacking a tiny bit

uncleaned in front...
353bgqa.jpg

cleaned in front....
i2qdg0.jpg

side by side....
2dihagw.jpg

just found my zoom lebron II all stars the other day, theyr in need of a cleaning and they have like a drop or 2 of white paint on the toebox of the right shoe, would lincoln ez clean be enough to clean it or should i look for something else?

How affective are silica packs on not yellowing 5's
N 11s ? I noticed using them my shoes still got yellow Evan on 2009 spacejams
Also sorry it's probably in this thread but how to you clean the netting on
5s n can I sea glow the netting?

Does anyone know how I can get the midsole on my black cement 3's to look white again, I've heard sea glow can be used BUT leaving them out in the sun and the midsole being made of polyurethane could have a real bad effect....I've tried mr. clean magic eraser no luck and Plus white worked just a little but wont get any lighter(maybe I'm not applying it correctly idk)....Also heard using sand paper or painting them are two other options but I'm trying to avoid those....is there any other way?

Does anyone know how I can get the midsole on my black cement 3's to look white again, I've heard sea glow can be used BUT leaving them out in the sun and the midsole being made of polyurethane could have a real bad effect....I've tried mr. clean magic eraser no luck and Plus white worked just a little but wont get any lighter(maybe I'm not applying it correctly idk)....Also heard using sand paper or painting them are two other options but I'm trying to avoid those....is there any other way?

Anyone know the best way to remove excess glue stains from a shoe? It's on patent leather material if that makes a difference. I heard nail polish remover may work, any truth to that?

Originally Posted by ispeakjewleo

Can anyone tell me where to buy that barkeeper's friend stuff. Do they sell that stuff at the store?

Try ebay, I found it easily and for cheap on there.

@KayB1991 - get a q-tip or a cotton ball dip it in acetone. squeeze the excess acetone out of the q-tip or cotton ball and using the q-tip or cotton ball, wipe off the stain. that's helped me get paint off the leather and midsole parts of the shoe.

@TEDDYSNEAKS - from experience, i put about 2-3 silica packs taped on the inside walls of the shoebox. the silica packs shouldn't touch the shoes because it may turn the soles and netting yellower. if you want to prevent yellowing, clean thoroughly after every use and place the shoes in a cool, damp place like a closet. this will slow the process down. as far as cleaning the netting, the only thing you can do is wash it with a little soap and water to get residue off. you can't seaglow it because it will turn the netting brittle and eventually it will just break off.

@kingjafijoehoe - the only true proven method for getting white midsoles are to repaint them. if you sand them, it will turn the midsole yellower, faster. you're right, seaglow and the 3s midsoles don't mix well. from experience, mr clean magic eraser has taken paint off my midsoles. and honestly, i've never tried the plus white method.

@Juice2352 - yes, dip a cotton ball or q-tip in acetone, squeeze the excess, and wipe off the glue with the q-tip or cotton ball.

@BallinB - use the acetone method i described twice already and lightly wipe the excess dye. it should come off.

Can anyone tell me where to buy that barkeeper's friend stuff. Do they sell that stuff at the store?

You can find it in the cleaning aisle of any store, generally near the brillo pads, kitchen/bathroom stuff. Its usually only a buck or 2 too.

Originally Posted by Rippaflow

You can find it in the cleaning aisle of any store, generally near the brillo pads, kitchen/bathroom stuff. Its usually only a buck or 2 too.
my man
pimp.gif

I just won some ds Olympic 7s on ebay but the midsole on one of the shoes is slightly yellow. What can I do about this? I've seen a video on youtube where someone put teeth whitener on a pair of Jordan 1s but my only concern with that is the Jordan 7s midsole is a different material and I don't want to ruin them or something. Any advice? Here are some pics from the auction but I won't know exactly how bad it is until I see them in person.
P8278537.JPG

P8278538.JPG

im trying to do a sole swap on my OG playoff 13s
what a cheap jordan alternative to use for the donor sole??
was thinking of a 6 ring but anyting other then that??
thansk!!!!

Back
Top Bottom