Official Starter Jacket Discussion Thread

CV9zs-mW4AAgiGa.jpeg

While it's nice to see that the brand is still alive, albeit under different ownership, and the satin jackets being rehashed, it just doesn't seem the same as a relevant brand like it was in the past.

It seems like Starter is basically just a brand for nostalgic purposes now with the demographic that was old enough to remember it. It makes me wonder if kids of the current generation are familiar with Starter, especially the commonly popular satin jackets because I hardly see them wearing them.

I wonder why it took so long to rehash the satin jackets. I believe they were resurrected in 2012 or sometime in the early 2010s. It was rough for them went they filed bankruptcy in 1999 because they no longer made the jackets and they lost the contract with the NFL & NBA to supply uniforms for teams and produce authentic jerseys for retail. They also supplied MLB teams with satin jackets to wear in the dugouts too.

After the bankruptcy, I recall they still existed, but they only made lower end licensed attire like basic, nondescript t-shirts with team names and logos on them that were primarily sold at big-box stores at affordable prices.

I wonder why Nike didn't rehash the satin jackets when they owned the brand in the 2000s. I actually recall Nike owned Starter when Shaquille O'Neal had a shoe deal with them while he was with the Heat.

I know Carl Banks and his G-III company has owned Starter for some years now. I believe they're the ones who resurrected the satin jackets.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom