OFFICIAL STOCK MARKET AND ECONOMY THREAD VOL. A NEW CHAPTER

Back over the breakeven mark since i re-funded this account. did a much better job today. took some TWTR 28.50 puts at .33 sold them at .50. Might be a bad sale, who knows, but this stock has been a little bit of a headache so i rather lock in gains.

Would've took a FB short which was very lucrative but I got into TWTR instead and didn't have the power to grab FB puts when the lower high signaled. Let's see if I can keep this going tomorrow and from here on out. Goal is to grow a $500 account. Currently at $543. Really like the challenge, low risk and very rewarding when things get rolling.

Last edited:
JRS, think I'm going to join you on this personal challenge and use a 1k account. Thing is I trade common only lol

I refunded my options account with $200 and thusly lost like $50 on that TTWO trade :lol: Trying to salvage something out of this little bit of cash. Bought INTC 28/32 Nov strangle. Let's see how this goes.

JRS, think I'm going to join you on this personal challenge and use a 1k account. Thing is I trade common only lol
Common is tough :lol: but being long AQXP would've made it happen rather easily :smh: what an insane run that was.

Hopefully this works out really well for all of us.

AQXP ridiculous runup

1k real money challenge? I would consider it if there is interest. Still weighing if it would be good for my personality. Like would I press too much to compete type thing

nailed a nice little FB short 93 puts in at .33 out at .50. If I had more than a 10 lot, I would've taken half off to be patient with the rest, but I just dont feel comfortable with this market and rather lock in gains. With a 10 lot, I rather cash out completely with the market as volatile as it is currently.

Wiz don't worry man, I don't want you to lose your focus and force stuff :lol: 1k challenge is tough with common, I personally wouldn't be able to do it (main reason I learned options).

Last edited:
Downfall of oil is crazy right now. Is this some sort of manipulation for the long con?

Btw Andy, long time no see. How you feeling about your precious

Last edited:
wassup everyone,

i'm pretty much a stock noob, but i know the basics and i've done a few marketwatch games but I definitely want to gain more experience in the real world.

can anyone point me in the right direction for getting like a loan to start a portfolio? or should i even do that? thinking about using lending club. 

i'm thinking of at least starting a portfolio with blackrock

thinking about starting with $10k, with $5k going conservative and $5k going active/risky. and I am to use any profit / dividends to pay off the loan self-sustainably with probably $100-$250 in contributions to the portfolio / mo for now at least

any advice?

never borrow money to trade stocks, ever. especially if you're a noob. just save, save, save and only use money you can afford to lose.

^^^^ Yea man, using a loan to fund a portfolio is foolish. If u need to start low, look into online brokerages that have low minimums. Trade King's is $25 I believe. But like JRS said, save and save some more. You'd be putting too much pressure on yourself to get crazy returns in order to pay the loan off and that would force u to make foolish decision, especially being a noob.

Eh, I used left over student loan $ to start my portfolio when I was in college :lol:

But to piggyback, please don't take a loan to start investing. You'd not only need to make enough money to pay off the loan, and the interest charges, you'd have to make enough to cover commission costs and beat inflation. If your loan is at, say, 9% apr, and inflation is 2%, you need to grow your portfolio at least 12% a year before factoring commission costs and simple loan payments. If you want to make money, that is.

Save up that 150 a month, keep playing marketwatch games, study study and study some more, and in a year, put that 1500 into a brokerage and see what you can do.

This definitely isn't the environment for a newb either. Market is too volatile right now to borrow money and learn on the fly.

thanks for the input everyone, anyone know of good resources to study?

i mean yeah theres wiki and what not but like a comprehensive like guide or something would be dope

Open interest? Nope. OI alone doesn't tell you much. I follow order flow which is helpful but even then you have to discern whether a trade is speculative or a hedge. If you see someone sweep 10,000 calls against an OI of 50 that may help you find a potential long, but even then, you still don't know for certain what paper is intending.

I really wish I would have invested in AQXP last week. My friend made $4500 in a day.
Nothing to regret that was a once a year type move fueled by float rotation and shorts being squeezed. Not an organic move anyone could have expected whatsoever.

Nothing to regret that was a once a year type move fueled by float rotation and shorts being squeezed. Not an organic move anyone could have expected whatsoever.
My friend actually saw it on reddit Thursday morning, right before the price sky rocketed. He got sooooo lucky. He didn't hold it for very long either.

Back
Top Bottom