OFFICIAL STOCK MARKET & ECONOMY THREAD VOL. SCHOOL'S OUT

Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Calls are relatively safe in terms of capital and exposure. Good luck!

Im very new to stock market ideas but im doing some reading now but i wanted some ideas as to what you guys look into when you are looking to invest.

Originally Posted by bruce negro

Originally Posted by freakydestroyer

The gambler in me wants to buy weekly puts for GOOG in anticipation of earnings. I'm probably not going to do it and then it ends up being a huge winner. 
grin.gif

Those would be some expensive puts. Why so bearish on GOOG? I don't see it dropping enough to be worth the put. 
I'm anticipating that it doesn't meet earnings expectations and falls like a brick. Either you're going to be rich or wiped clean. It's almost a gamble like I said.

Originally Posted by LazyJ10

I hear ya - one of my clients is strictly a small cap long/short fund whose return has been steady over the course of their inception (almost 10 years) at almost 300%.

The person(s) who sold off were probably going to use the funds for tax time.
laugh.gif

Pardon my ignorance, but what benefit is there to sell during this time of the year? Did everyone just buy their shares exactly a year ago?

It's not necessarily a benefit, but often times during April, execs, big shareholders/directors will sell holdings in order to pay their taxes.

Originally Posted by LazyJ10

It's not necessarily a benefit, but often times during April, execs, big shareholders/directors will sell holdings in order to pay their taxes.

Ok I see. I didn't think of that. Maybe because I can't relate.
laugh.gif

smh @ best buy ... i went to short it and saw it up 3% ... then had meeting ... came back and down 5% ... that would have been a payday ...
indifferent.gif

oh well ... i like these dips ... allows me to continue to buy and sell ... building my lil empire a few bucks at a time ...

I think there are two thoughts to what we've seen the last few days. Both related to earnings. 1. Earnings estimates have steadily trended downward over the past few weeks. Those estimates are accurate, and we're getting setup for a crappy earnings season, thus the widespread selling.2. The downward trend in earnings estimates is a setup for "better than expected" earnings. The selling of the last few days is setting up a better entry position for buyers going into earnings. I'm still a bull, so I lean toward #2. But I would be lying if I didn't acknowledge that this is the first time since October that I've even been a tad worried.

Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman

Originally Posted by nocomment6

Spain and Portugal are destroying the markets....Seriously Europe needs to come up with some solutions!
[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]They'll probably come up with some short term solutions to stall the process, much like how they've been doing with Greece (pumping air into a lifeless body) but a long term solution? Don't see that happening. [/color]

[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]One by one... [/color]
wink.gif
It's sad that they can't come up with a proper solution....
damn, I'm in red...

Alcoa swings a profit. 9 cents EPS vs analyst expectations of a 3 cent loss. Excellent start to earnings season. Also lends a little creedence to my post above.

Originally Posted by DaJoka004

I think there are two thoughts to what we've seen the last few days. Both related to earnings. 1. Earnings estimates have steadily trended downward over the past few weeks. Those estimates are accurate, and we're getting setup for a crappy earnings season, thus the widespread selling.2. The downward trend in earnings estimates is a setup for "better than expected" earnings. The selling of the last few days is setting up a better entry position for buyers going into earnings. I'm still a bull, so I lean toward #2. But I would be lying if I didn't acknowledge that this is the first time since October that I've even been a tad worried.

Maybe it has something to do with the fact the S&P is up 30% in 5 months. 
wink.gif

what do you guys think about nokia (nok) ? Will the new phone they released increase there stock price?

OL, TITN, PHM, AA
pimp.gif
-----> however, they are decreasing in after hr trading, whats up with that ?

Not really, their stocks have been declining. They've lost market share. Somehow they aren't popular, thats probably amongst the reasons they have failed to deliver during report seasons.

mad.gif
mad.gif
I panicked and sold some of my LNKD calls too early. I'm expecting some more window dressing with this along with other Web stocks. 

Can I get a count of who here is actively trading? 
Some of you post
pimp.gif
 like you actually own shares of these companies. 

I'll go first. 

Long AAPL, IGTE, DXPE, MD common shares. Long DXPE May 45 calls. 

Originally Posted by DaJoka004

Can I get a count of who here is actively trading? 
Some of you post
pimp.gif
 like you actually own shares of these companies. 

I'll go first. 

Long AAPL, IGTE, DXPE, MD common shares. Long DXPE May 45 calls. 
I am still waiting for my account to be opened then i can started start trading but i am liking your positions on the stocks 

Check this thread daily but don't post much.

Used to mess around with AMZN, GOOG, BIDU, but put everything into long AAPL last year. Still the only position I have.

I wouldn't buy PFE, lots of cash + buybacks, and dividends, but I don't see much upside potential at all.

Long F, AAPL, V, PSS, RICK, MORN, CLWR

Back
Top Bottom