OFFICIAL STOCK MARKET & ECONOMY THREAD VOL. SCHOOL'S OUT

Only 9%.
I prefer to invest for a long period and gain 50%. I like to invest in small cap firms.
I found a company that has 12 million in CASH but only 9.4 million share holders and is priced $1.26 No long term debt either. But I am having doubts to invest in it.
mean.gif
I feel like it is too good to be true. BSPM
Gain 50%

Some great investors never get to 50%

I'd aim for anything above 5%

Only 9%.

I prefer to invest for a long period and gain 50%. I like to invest in small cap firms.

I found a company that has 12 million in CASH but only 9.4 million share holders and is priced $1.26 No long term debt either. But I am having doubts to invest in it. :smh: I feel like it is too good to be true. BSPM
Gain 50%

Some great investors never get to 50%

I'd aim for anything above 5%

I know some that invest for 2-4 years and earn that much by investing in small cap firms.

How long do you invest for and what type of companies?

Does anyone read the 10 k or other sec fillings before investing ?
Long term investors ?
Short term investors ?

I read SEC filings before I pull the trigger when it's a long term play. I define my own long term play by 6+ month's.

We are on the sam page.

I only invest for long term because I know a stable company will continue to improve their operations ad become better with time.

Short term investments are just to risky and one has to be fully alert on current news :smh:

I know some that invest for 2-4 years and earn that much by investing in small cap firms.
How long do you invest for and what type of companies?
Nothing yet but my parents both are financial advisors, and usually they sell before they gain close they get to %50.

But if you can do that consistently, that's great.

Does anyone read the 10 k or other sec fillings before investing ?
Long term investors ?
Short term investors ?

People that invest through fundamentals are beginners in that they rely on one focal point. Trading and investing is a dynamic art with time being the most uncertain variable.

Talking heads on TV like CRAMER, CNBC, and buffoons will always site 10K, Q reports as justification for their trade decisions. They'll talk about this, and that, and then talk about P/E ratios, and earnings. Soon enough, you'll pay your share and realize that it's completely baloney.

The thing is, we all MUST pay our dues, we all must blow up account(s) before realizing whether or not this is meant for you. That's the harsh realities of it. I've said it before, and I don't mind repeating it again.

Now, I'm not saying value investing is not right or correct, what I'm suggesting is that it cannot be the 'sole' reason for trading. Getting into this requires a lot more than just due dilligence.

Trading is more about reaction, decision making, and engagement as oppossed to prepartion and praying. Like I've said before; the difference between Tom Brady and Jay Cutler, is the fact that Tom can improvise, react, and creat for himself. Guys like Jay Cutler would 'heave' and then pray someone catches his hail mary. Find the analogies.

I actually recently read the 10-k / annual report for Intel.  I'm not a pro or anything, so I didn't know what to look for and what to skip so I just read it all.  It was tough reading.

If nothing else...if you have already examined the financial statements....read the part of the 10-k that pertains to Management's discussion of the past year, future prospects.

Reading is good, but in 6 months time, and no management, you might as well throw you money in funds that will rather much 'out perform' yourself, the market and other funds!

Buying a 'stock' and 'holding' it for 6 months is not the way to go at all. Again, this is a dynamic beast, and your approach needs to be 'dynamic' as well. Take a quick peek at the NIKKEI and you ask yourself how long of a 'wait' you need for that index to 'retouch' its lifetime highs.

You feeling me?

I figured I come in here because because Bloomberg is asking for another 'update'! lolz Don't let the egotistical folks here intimmidate you. haha They always like to boast about their 'profitable' trades; and just duck tale the rest. lolz

Disclaimer, I have allocated everything into Treasuries 2-3 weeks before the QE3 talk. Laters.

Intel is a great investment, long term.
I read parts of a few.
I like to read the risks, management decisions, and notes on financial statements and terms.
freakydestroyer - why are you smiling ?0]

INTC is not a buy this week, nor has in the past 3-4 weeks.

I encourage you to read financial statements, but trading is a diff't thing.

Reading is good, but in 6 months time, and no management, you might as well throw you money in funds that will rather much 'out perform' yourself, the market and other funds!
Buying a 'stock' and 'holding' it for 6 months is not the way to go at all. Again, this is a dynamic beast, and your approach needs to be 'dynamic' as well. Take a quick peek at the NIKKEI and you ask yourself how long of a 'wait' you need for that index to 'retouch' its lifetime highs.
You feeling me?
I figured I come in here because because Bloomberg is asking for another 'update'! lolz Don't let the egotistical folks here intimmidate you. haha They always like to boast about their 'profitable' trades; and just duck tale the rest. lolz
Disclaimer, I have allocated everything into Treasuries 2-3 weeks before the QE3 talk. Laters.
You sound rather intelligent, and erudite on equities...and I'm admittedly a novice, but I can't get down with trading and hopping in and out of positions.  I guess I'm just a buy-and-hold guy.

I would like to hold forever, but I don't have a time horizon...the way I look at it is, continue to hold unless the fundamentals have dried up.

Now, as a buy and hold guy...one might reason, well, why don't I just use an Index Fund.  I'm not sure I'm sold on tracking the market as a whole.  Because I believe that the economy as a whole could remain flat, while the fortunes of various firms change.  I've read enough to know that everybody says trying to beat the market is a losing game, but I want to put my money on the dogs that I think have a better chance in the race.

can you guys help me with some advice....
recently i just opened up a roth IRA with 1k
thnking about pulling 4k from my liquid savings and dumping into roth ira
basically im just trying to invest while still young and starting in my career
i been looking at CMG, DXPE, FIVE, WLP, WCG, HUM, PCAR, GNW

Meaningful question, ignoring the other bull crap.

I like the idea of saving; saving habitually is very beneficial for your financial well being. But one thing you need to understand is the management of the portfolio. Having multpiple positions like that will be trouble-some for yourself. If you are new to investing, do some reading and limit yourself w/ small capital. If you must, I would very much advise you to stick w/ mutual funds within your time/risk horizon. With that said, you must decide on how you want to approach this. A lot of investors have had 20-30% returns on funds and they do not even need to feed their brokers commision costs. lolz

Don't listen to the idiots chasing dividend yields. LOLZ It's just a solace for averaging down losing positions. haha

Good luck.

You sound rather intelligent, and erudite on equities...and I'm admittedly a novice, but I can't get down with trading and hopping in and out of positions.  I guess I'm just a buy-and-hold guy.

I would like to hold forever, but I don't have a time horizon...the way I look at it is, continue to hold unless the fundamentals have dried up.

Now, as a buy and hold guy...one might reason, well, why don't I just use an Index Fund.  I'm not sure I'm sold on tracking the market as a whole.  Because I believe that the economy as a whole could remain flat, while the fortunes of various firms change.  I've read enough to know that everybody says trying to beat the market is a losing game, but I want to put my money on the dogs that I think have a better chance in the race.

You have to understand that everyone's approach to this is diff't; still there are no guarantees. However, you must understand what you touch, and that's understanding the basic movement of liquidity, interest rates, economic news, etc. etc.

Diversification and risk management are your friends for consistent growth and principal preservation. There is also fixed income assets that you might want to conisder.

Everyone wants to buy and hold though, and there's nothing wrong w/ that, but you have to manage both risk/reward should it turns against or with you.

But like I said, you could look at a mutual fund and do it that way, but keep a small capital base for buy/hold.

You feeling me?

I would agree with you. Long term investing in stocks works well for some (like me). I believe that good research will resut in profit over the long term.

I can't invest short term.

Cause you don't understand him, it don't mean that he nice
It just means you don't understand all the bull$hit that he writes

Listen to Warren Buffett, Ray Dalio, David Einhorn, Jim Chanos, etc...Not just those of us on NT with decent experience and writing skills.

LOL @ QE.

Sideways market, and again being on the right side is so good.

As I suggested, a few weeks before QE3, I allocated my 401k into TREASURIES. Looking good! It's about principal preservation. :smokin No need to chase ticks or handles like some pretentious guys.

Dull market is what dull market does. Cracking, and spacking. lolz I ain't covering just yet. :wink: lates fam.

Back
Top Bottom