OFFICIAL STOCK MARKET & ECONOMY THREAD VOL. SCHOOL'S OUT

Y'all remember VJET? :lol:

Woulda been short of the century if you got it at 70.

Was thinking about getting puts after the first big leg down not too long ago. Think wiz mentioned it then.

>

before

C - Citigroup

>

before

JNJ - Johnson and Johnson
KO - Coca Cola

after

CSX - CSX Corp
INTC - Intel
YHOO - Yahoo

>

before

ABT - Abbott Labs
BAC - Bank of America
USB - U.S. Bancorp

after

AXP - American Express
BGS - B&G Foods
GOOG / GOOGL - Google
IBM - IBM
KMP - Kinder Morgan
KSU - Kansas City Southern
SNDK - Sandisk

>

before

AN - AutoNation
BAX - Baxter International
BHI - Baker Hughes
CMG - Chipotle Mexican Grill
CY - Cypress Semiconductor
DD - Du Pont
GE - General Electric
GS - Goldman Sachs
HON - Honeywell
KEY - Key Corp
MAT - Mattel
MS - Morgan Stanley
PEP - Pepsico
PM - Philip Morris
PPG - PPG Industries
SHW - Sherwin Williams
SLB - Schlumberger
UNP - Union Pacific

after

AMD - Advance Micro Devices
ATHN - Athena Health

Big names coming up

Last edited:
whats up with all these people spouting that its a top this and that. over valued this and that. are they trying to signal yellen to start greasing up the presses?

HLF may be decent for a quick scalp, but I'm good on that one. Not a fan of trading stocks with that kind of controversy.

Solid video below from the Lincoln List on buying washouts and setting risk.

http://ed96c3e731351d7f1e7e-a608a20...orning Panic trade Good video 02.21.2014-.MP4

I've been using premarket activity lately as a way to gauge my risk for possible entry points. Obviously, works best with stocks like FB that have a lot of demand.

whats up with all these people spouting that its a top this and that. over valued this and that. are they trying to signal yellen to start greasing up the presses?
I could see that mantra rising if this market continues to correct. Lot of these pundits are just there spewing noise, though. We're kind of lucky having Twtitter and being able to follow a few select people that actually know their stuff and aren't repeating what their bosses tell them.

Edit: Was at the gym before and this dude there was wearing the Google Glass. Let me check it out and it's a pretty cool device.

Last edited:
HLF may be decent for a quick scalp, but I'm good on that one. Not a fan of trading stocks with that kind of controversy.

Solid video below from the Lincoln List on buying washouts and setting risk.

http://ed96c3e731351d7f1e7e-a608a20...orning Panic trade Good video 02.21.2014-.MP4

I've been using premarket activity lately as a way to gauge my risk for possible entry points. Obviously, works best with stocks like FB that have a lot of demand.
I could see that mantra rising if this market continues to correct. Lot of these pundits are just there spewing noise, though. We're kind of lucky having Twtitter and being able to follow a few select people that actually know their stuff and aren't repeating what their bosses tell them.

Edit: Was at the gym before and this dude there was wearing the Google Glass. Let me check it out and it's a pretty cool device.
Now I know your twitter 
wink.gif
 hahah

HIMX looking like nothing but a headache right now

HIMX heading straight down :x

I've been talking down on HLF and NUS for a while, but HLF was looking really good technically then (this was before the China probe on NUS). I'm still not sure how these "multi level marketing" companies are legal.

Thoughts on today? Just another relief/RSI-resetting bounce? Never mind. Big pop in AM getting sold. Biotechs still looking very weak. Fair amount of the smaller caps about half its value in past 1 month or so :x

Last edited:
Bear flag breakdowns are paying well in these market conditions

EDIT: I want to stress the importance of having a written trading plan and trade journal. I pasted my trading plan below. A trade journal should have date/time position opened, position size, profit targets and the reason for taking the trade..

Swings (Timeframe anywhere from a few days to few months)
TD/ToS

Focus on stocks coming out of consolidation or pattern
Look for low set risk entries near support
Risk on support or round number
Use starter position to get a feel then add in if working
Don't sell an advancing (healthy) stock - NEVER!
Use Darvas boxes or trendline to determine if acting healthy or not
MY GOAL - I want to get the meat of the move
Put in mental stops to take emotion out and define the risk
Move up stop to protect profits
Exit near resistance or big move (sell partial if healthy stock)

Day Trades (Timeframe intraday, possible overnight gappers)
SureTrader

Focus on 2-4 main watches and wait for actionable setups
Only trade setups you are prepared for
Know why you are taking a trade
Look for low set risk entries based on LOD/HOD, support/resistance
Use starter positions to get a feel
Add in to full size if working
MY GOAL - I want to get the meat of the move
Put in mental stops to take emotion out and define the risk
Lock in some quick profits and move stop to buy price to ensure winning trade
Move up stop if advancing to protect profits

Last edited:
Was tempted to get into miners today. Glad I didn't :wow: What's with the spike down in spot?

Last edited:
I'm new to stocks. Can someone school me? I've been thinking about investing in certain companies.

What companies? What about them has caught your eye?

Are you looking long term or short term? Each response has a different strategy.

Never invest in an industry or company where you dont know or understand the business model and how they make money.

you'd be surprised by how many people dont know what KO Coca cola does to make money

new investors/traders - take it slow, especially with the bear flag forming on SPY. The market has shifted gears and it has become a stock pickers market. It is no longer a market where most (everybody) is making money. Many on these charts are ugly

There are free resources online stockcharts/chartschool, traderplanet, stock garage, investopedia. A few helpful books How to Trade In Stocks Livermore, How I Made 2mln Darvas

I think we need to get a mod to change the OP to add some links so that we don't constantly get asked where to start, and then those questions end up not getting answered.

Anybody checking ICPT? IBB in general.... :wow:

start a think or swim paper trader account before you ever consider putting real money on the line. now isn't the time to get your feet wet without experience.

study price action and volume and ignore the talking heads on tv.

Lincoln List has some pretty decent videos for free as well. Check those out, plus the resources Wiz already mentioned.

Never let a winning trade turn into a loser. We've all learned that lesson the hard way. Raise stops to protect profits. Avoid averaging down for the most part, and look to average up when the line of least resistance is trending upward.

This is the first time I've been predominantly cash during a correction. Feels damn good to not be bag holding.

Last edited:
I think we need to get a mod to change the OP to add some links so that we don't constantly get asked where to start, and then those questions end up not getting answered.

Anybody checking ICPT? IBB in general.... :wow:

:wow:

Crazy reversal for ICPT and market in general. Bulls seem to be resilient today and yesterday.

:wow:

Crazy reversal for ICPT and market in general. Bulls seem to be resilient today and yesterday.
Nice looking candle on the Nasdaq today for a possible bottom.  You think it is up from here?

I would think so. Bulls have won the last half of the day the last two days despite the bearish sentiment right now.

Candle looks good. Maybe if we get a gap up it goes down, or if it gaps down then goes up? This market is wacky. The more I think I understand something, the more I realize that I know nothing.

I read one theory that this sell off was partly because of people taking money out of the market to pay their taxes. If we hold gains tomorrow and don't have this up-down-up-down volatility like the past two days, that concept may have credence.

YHOO up AH

BAC tomorrow morning. Think results of that will have a huge influence on what market looks like tomorrow considering all of the indecision lately

I read one theory that this sell off was partly because of people taking money out of the market to pay their taxes. If we hold gains tomorrow and don't have this up-down-up-down volatility like the past two days, that concept may have credence.

Dont know about everybody else, but I always do minimum withholding and never have to pay more than a few hundo. Duno if I believe that theory, but then again I don't know how taxes work for the 1%'ers who owns the majority of the market

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom