OFFICIAL STOCK MARKET & ECONOMY THREAD VOL. SCHOOL'S OUT

SRS question, not much into stocks. have dabbled here and there and done some research but any of you recommend in the next couple months to purchase $10k worth of stock in Tesla and keep for about 1 year min?

Zyzz, you could buy TSLA and it doubles in a year or it gets cut in half. It's gonna come down to the overall market.

I personally, am not confident in any stock being a home run buy and hold (except GOOGL and AAPL because of their immense amounts of cash but even they would be subject to a serious haircut if the market corrects like it might). My only advice would be to learn fundamental and technical analysis, and grow familiar with price action and the way stocks trade before you invest your hard earned money into a ponzi scheme (in essence that's what the market is, I take money from you to give to someone else). Now the market isn't rigged, but it's designed to chop the ignorant up and leave them broke and desperate—unless they learn how to play the game.

I'm gonna use GTAT as an example because that was looked at as a positive company with a decent future (they're no TSLA but with the way TSLA is fundamentally overvalued I feel like it's a decent comparison hypothetically). The stock was trading at $17 and if you bought it at the high end of its range and decided to trust this company for a year, blindly, instead of listening to price action and managing your risk along the way, you'd be stuck holding a bag that you wish you could vomit in (although their bankruptcy noise was a complete shocker so there wasn't much you could do regardless). The company, for the most part looks worthless now and who knows if they've been cooking the books or not these past years.

That isn't likely to be the case with TSLA, but, TSLA is an even more volatile name than GTAT and if TSLA has a black swan event, it's gonna lose 50 bucks in a day. If you want to get into TSLA, I suggest watching it for a few weeks and get familiar with its support and resistance levels, and before you ever put your money into that stock, figure out a level you would sell your shares no matter what if it was hit to protect your capital against a move lower. This is where technical analysis comes into play and I feel like you need at least a background in it. You need to look at your TSLA chart each day and be able to see if the stock is healthy or not, if your money is in danger or if it is still in a positive position.

I'd suggest studying up on the market in general since right now, I honestly don't think this is the time to get in the game without some experience. Things are shady and I have a feeling we're gonna have a lot of roller coaster action in the market. TSLA could very well make you a ton of cash moving forward, but I think your better suited studying and learning more about trading/investing before diving in.

You never want blow out risk. Remember that.

Any questions, please ask away.

Last edited:
Financials report this week :nerd: maybe they lead us a leg lower or back above support.

Few of their charts look like they're under distribution and ready to test the cloud. Who knows though with these ERs.

JPM
Lower Highs

GS
http://optionvol.blogspot.com/2014/10/goldman-sachs-gs-stunning-charts-you.html
Those charts have me interested in maybe swinging a GS put spread. Depends on what I price out. Ideal would be a bounce Monday with the 9 or 26 period averages being resistance.

MS
Had some UOA Jan 37 calls could be a play on earnings or a short hedge.
Let's see if we get a lower high or break through 33.50 and make a run into the cloud/peak out around there.

SPY
Lagging indicator closed under the cloud. Let's see if it continues to trend lower. 182 looks possible. Have a plan. I'm watching pops to 191.72 and 193 (9 and 26)
o5JpSN.png
5Di5PM.png

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2014-10-11/70-trillion-problem-keeping-jamie-dimon-night

Last edited:
Zyzz, you could buy TSLA and it doubles in a year or it gets cut in half. It's gonna come down to the overall market.

I personally, am not confident in any stock being a home run buy and hold (except GOOGL and AAPL because of their immense amounts of cash but even they would be subject to a serious haircut if the market corrects like it might). My only advice would be to learn fundamental and technical analysis, and grow familiar with price action and the way stocks trade before you invest your hard earned money into a ponzi scheme (in essence that's what the market is, I take money from you to give to someone else). Now the market isn't rigged, but it's designed to chop the ignorant up and leave them broke and desperate—unless they learn how to play the game.

I'm gonna use GTAT as an example because that was looked at as a positive company with a decent future (they're no TSLA but with the way TSLA is fundamentally overvalued I feel like it's a decent comparison hypothetically). The stock was trading at $17 and if you bought it at the high end of its range and decided to trust this company for a year, blindly, instead of listening to price action and managing your risk along the way, you'd be stuck holding a bag that you wish you could vomit in (although their bankruptcy noise was a complete shocker so there wasn't much you could do regardless). The company, for the most part looks worthless now and who knows if they've been cooking the books or not these past years.

That isn't likely to be the case with TSLA, but, TSLA is an even more volatile name than GTAT and if TSLA has a black swan event, it's gonna lose 50 bucks in a day. If you want to get into TSLA, I suggest watching it for a few weeks and get familiar with its support and resistance levels, and before you ever put your money into that stock, figure out a level you would sell your shares no matter what if it was hit to protect your capital against a move lower. This is where technical analysis comes into play and I feel like you need at least a background in it. You need to look at your TSLA chart each day and be able to see if the stock is healthy or not, if your money is in danger or if it is still in a positive position.

I'd suggest studying up on the market in general since right now, I honestly don't think this is the time to get in the game without some experience. Things are shady and I have a feeling we're gonna have a lot of roller coaster action in the market. TSLA could very well make you a ton of cash moving forward, but I think your better suited studying and learning more about trading/investing before diving in.

You never want blow out risk. Remember that.

Any questions, please ask away.

repped, will def start reading and doing some research. Just want to invest and get my feet wet and make a little money. I just felt like TSLA has a bright future (hopefully) from what ive read and heard. They also plan on making a more affordable electric car for middle class people in the $30-40k range possibly which would be huge IMO

TSLA's a great company to be forwarded looking with and you have the right idea, I just don't wanna say yeah it's perfectly fine and then the bottom drops out of the market :lol: I have no crystal ball and being a former bag holder, I know how frustrating and painful that experience could be so I'm always more conservative to help people avoid what I went through (Based, Wiz and a couple of others remember my FSLR nightmare from a year ago).

That's why I always try to tell people to study more/help teach them so they could be privy to any potential warning signs. Long term investing isn't for me because that GTAT story is my nightmare. I sleep better at night being cash or only having a small portion of my money in a couple of small option plays. But, long term investing is great once you get in at the right level. I've got a buddy on the sidelines waiting for the next crash to jump in and buy everything on the low. He doesn't have the time to learn like I would want him to learn, but if he's buying after everything is cut 3/4 there is a better risk-reward.

My theology professor made a killing after the last crash. He bought F at $2, SKS around there and had a sick average on JPM (he might still be holding at this point, haven't talked with him in a minute).

For someone with a longer time frame, it wouldn't be that hard to learn enough to keep you afloat and safe at night.

Brian Shannon's book is solid for newcomers looking to learn more. He gives you a decent breakdown on how to read trends, when they start to change, etc. He gives you a good idea on the different timeframes. It's $76 which sucks but it may be helpful in the long run.

Amazon product ASIN 1598795805
I'd recommend Jesse Livermore's book as well since it's a good read.

Amazon product ASIN 0071469796
Remember Zyzz, entering the stock market just to make money is dangerous. It's more about risk management once your money is in play. Best question to ask yourself when entering a position is how much could I lose here vs my potential gain?

I started trading in 2011 and then took a few months to a year off when I started working the graveyard shift. Ironically, a lot of the positions that I had but liquidated wound up doubling or more until 2013 when I reentered the market. Was I a good fundamental investor, or was the market just that hot and easy? Although I had good quality companies in mind GLW, TIF, OVTI, etc. I think it was more of the latter that made it possible. That's how easy the market has been. If you held long enough, and the company wasn't hemorrhaging money, you almost always doubled your money or came close.

That easy ride may be ending, and I just want you to be prepared and aware of what could be in store for us in the future. The fears could be overblown, the market could double in a couple of years, but the moral of the story is to know how to trade/invest vs instilling in hope and trust. Because the market doesn't care about us or how great our companies may be. If the market is gonna dump, it's gonna steamroll over as many people and equities as possible.

Any questions or anything, please ask away.

You have the right idea with TSLA, don't get me wrong, I just want you to be prepared and familiar with the market a little more before jumping in at what may or may not be the top.

JRS what a difference a year makes. You have come a long way. Do you have a writing background?

Uh oh 1890 has been breached

Yeah I started off as a writer (fiction and sports, I cover the Knicks for Bleacher Report) and since that doesn't pay, I've been more focused on stocks. I'm thinking about going back to school or something though. I was an English major but never got education credits. I feel like I have too much time on my hands, Idk. Wound up taking today off from the market, a break was needed.

Ahhh...nothing like a red October to signal the start of bear season...:lol:

Anyone thinking about placing some bets on inverse ETFs?

Not yet on the inverse ETFs. I'm not entirely convinced the bull market's done yet

Dat bull trap doe today :x

Last edited:
Wish I knew more about stocks, I wanna get into it, but don't know where or how to begin...Any idea?

> Oct 14

before

C - Citigroup
DPZ - Domino's Pizza
JBHT - J B Hunt Transport Services
JNJ - Johnson & Johnson
JPM - JPMorgan Chase
WFC - Wells Fargo & Co

after

CSX - CSX Corp
INTC - Intel Corp

> Oct 15

before

BAC - Bank of America

after

AXP - American Express
E BAY - e Bay
LVS - Las Vegas Sands
KMI - Kinder Morgan
NFLX - Netflix
URI - United Rentals

> Oct 16

before

ADS - Alliance Data Systems Corp
BAX - Baxter International
BGG - Briggs & Stratton
BHI - Baker Hughes
BX - Blackstone Group
CY - Cypress Semi
DAL - Delta Air Lines
GS - Goldman Sachs
GWW - W.W. Grainger
MAT - Mattel
PM - Philip Morris International
PPG - PPG Industries
SNA - Snap-on
SVU - SUPERVALU
UNH - UnitedHealth Group

after

AMD - Advance Micro Devices
ATHN - Athena Health
COF - Capital One Financial
GOOG / GOOGL - Google
QLGC - QLogic
SLB - Schlumberger
SNDK - SanDisk Corp
XLNX - Xilinx

> oct 17

before

BK - Bank of New York Mellon
GE - General Electric
HON - Honeywell
KSU - Kansas City Southern
MS - Morgan Stanley
STI - SunTrust Banks

Needs to hold 14.50 or 15 otherwise I feel like GoGo goes to 10 in this market.

This dude Sykes is a clown :lol: he shows the captain of the boat 22k cash for the tip and then pulls back 5k cause he had "issues" :lol: :smh:

Last edited:
Wish I had those TVIX 2.65s back smh. I had the right idea just not enough conviction to hold through the swings

Back
Top Bottom