OFFICIAL STOCK MARKET & ECONOMY THREAD VOL. SCHOOL'S OUT

******* nailed a FB short today and got the meat of the move. Started in some 72 puts around 73 and change and exited at 71.88. In at .81 average out at 1.27. Needed that. Patience pays when you have a plan.

Edit: Left a little food on the table, but I rather eat than not be fed at all.

Been wanting to do a put fly for NFLXs earnings for a couple of weeks now. Got filled on a 395-400-405 fly for .20. Just a 5 lot. Let's see if this tanks.

Last edited:
This market is hilarious.

NFLX blowing through my range :lol: this is good though gives me some room in case the market bounces a little.

Damn man this one is getting shredded :lol: :smh: Only risked $100 so no big deal.

Last edited:
Man Netflix just felt the wrath of everything holy today. Wonder where it goes tomorrow...

It's an overreaction to the news of the HBO platform and earnings report. Worth a shot at this level if you have patience IMO.

Had a decent FB short that I was up on but wound up closing for scratch. Grabbed some 71 puts at 72.25 with risk to 72.32, didn't cover into the flush at 71.55 and wound up taking it off at 72. Was a good cover since it rallied back to new highs. Was trying to be patient, but lesson here is, pay myself a little along the way.

Reason I took it off at 72, SPY was looking strong, and there was a nice tail (on the 5 minute) bouncing off that .55 level, plus it grinded back over VWAP.

Always have a plan and be flexible. Had I fought the trend I'd be down like 400 bucks instead of a commission burner.

Last edited:
lmao :tongue:
Oh VSR

Should be a fun week.

> Oct 20

before

HAL - Halliburton
HAS - Hasbro
SAP - SAP
VFC - V F Corp
VRX - Valeant Pharmaceuticals

after

AAPL - Apple
CMG - Chipotle Mexican Grill
IBM - International Business Machine
RMBS - Rambus
TXN - Texas Instruments

> Oct 21

before

ARMH - Arm Holdings
CP - Canadian Pacific Railway
HOG - Harley Davidson
KMB - Kimberly Clark
KO - Coca Cola
LMT - Lockheed Martin
LXK - Lexmark
MCD - McDonalds
RAI - Reynolds American
VZ - Verizon

after

BGS - BG Foods
BRCM - Broadcom
CREE - Cree
DFS - Discover Financial Services
ISGR - Intuitive Surgical
SIX - Six Flags
UIS - Unisys Corp
VMW - VM Ware
YHOO - Yahoo

> Oct 22

before

ABT - Abbott Labs
ANGI - Angie's List
BA - Boeing
BIIB - Biogen Idec
DOW - Dow Chemical
EMC - EMC Corp
GD - General Dynamics
GSK - GlaxoSmithKline
LL - Lumber Liquidators
NOC - Northrop Grumman
NSC - Norfolk Southern Corp
SWK - Stanley Black & Decker
USB - U.S. Bancorp

after

CAKE - Cheesecake Factory
CTXS - Citrix Systems
EGHT - 8x8 Inc
LEG - Leggett & Platt
LRCX - Lam Research Corp
MLNX - Mellanox Technologies
NOW - ServiceNow
NXPI - NXP Semiconductors
ORLY - O'Reilly Auto
SKX - Skechers USA
T - ATT
TSCO - tractor supply Co
WFT - Weatherford International
Yelp - Yelp

> Oct 23

before

AAL - American Airlines
AEP - American Electric Power
ALK - Alaska Air
ALXN - Alexion Pharma
ARG - Airgas
CAB - Cabela's
CAT - Caterpillar
CELG - Celgene
CMCSA - Comcast Corp
DNKN - Dunkin' Brands
DPS - Dr Pepper Snapple
GM - General Motors
GRUB - GrubHub
JBLU - JetBlue Airways
LLY - Eli Lilly
LO - Lorillard
LUV - Southwest Airlines
MMM - 3M
OXY - Occidental Petroleum Corp
PHM - PulteGroup
POT - Potash Corp. of Saskatchewan
RCL - Royal Caribbean Cruises
RTN - Raytheon
SWFT - Swift Transportation
UA - Under Armour
UNP - Union Pacific Corp

after

ALTR - Altera Corp
AMZN - Amazon.com
BJRI - BJ's Restaurants
BMRN - BioMarin Pharma
DECK - Deckers Outdoor
EW - Edwards Lifesciences
GIMO - Gigamon
MSFT - Microsoft
N - NetSuite
P - Pandora
RUBI - Rubicon Project
SWFT - Swift Transportation

> Oct 24

before

BMY - Bristol-Myers Squibb
CL - Colgate-Palmolive
COG - Cabot Oil & Gas
DLPH - Delphi Automotive
DTE - DTE Energy Company
F - Ford Motor
PG - Procter & Gamble
SHPG - Shire plc
UPS - United Parcel Service
WYN - Wyndham Worldwide Corp

AAPL, CMG, ISRG, YHOO, YELP, UA, AMZN, MSFT, P, F

Def recommending all the regulars in this thread to check out this article in today's FT. Another "red flag" of this market looking into some serious correction. One word comes to mind--Overvalued.

Article is in the Companies & Markets section.

Last edited:
I did a real ****** job trading today :smh: I'm done for the day. Tried shorting FB and TWTR via puts and got chopped up. Gonna come back and maybe do a small AAPL earnings play. But I traded like **** today. Didn't get emotional which is great, but I just didn't do a good job. Bad position sizing and execution. Can't get too biased in this market. Gotta just trade the price action.

Note to myself, no edge no trade. These two shorts didn't work for me because I took them without an edge, a concrete reason. I got involved in the middle of chop and paid the price. Market doesn't have to do anything. It does what it wants.

Last edited:
CMG's damn near doubled in a year. Wonder if it's about time it gets a reality check. Wouldn't be surprised if it breaks 700 though :x

Last edited:
I used up all of my purchasing power for the day this morning without realizing it :stoneface: can't trade CMG or AAPL. Gotta be more aware and save some powder during earnings season while I'm still under the PDT rule.

This market could be frustrating, but man, these challenges each day will make us elite in the long run. Just gotta stay alive.

I need to get my position sizing better. I need to get better at averaging in and scaling out along the way.

It's tough to be patient and wait for that bigger move in this market right now. Been a lot of trading range days.

Last edited:
I'm switching my focus to ETFs and bonds for now until my income allows me to invest more and buy more shares of a particular stock.

Been a rough month but also a great month for buys.

Find your niche and pound it, then expand your repertoire when you're ready. I've been a little too all over the place. Need to just focus on a few specific set ups, pound them, and scale in and out accordingly.

^^ I have been too. Think I'm gon get few more positions and build. I see these opportunities and want to buy but hold only a share or two :lol: :smh:

Picked up Cree puts earlier today :pimp:

From you guys'observations, has a company ever had a good report after issuing a warning/guidance lowering mid quarter? I've noticed that companies that give a "preview" of poor numbers tend to drop after that preview and again after the official ER.

Had this hampering with Cree. Yes, yes. Terrible strategy to gamble like that.

HIMX getting slaughtered. Another reason why I don't swing stuff with size anymore. And if I was gonna, it's gonna be something that's fundamentally perfect: i.e. GOOGL and AAPL. You can't trust a lot of these companies man. If they don't have a crazy amount of cash on their books, you gotta be careful. And even then who knows, i.e. IBM.

Last edited:
HIMX getting slaughtered. Another reason why I don't swing stuff with size anymore. And if I was gonna, it's gonna be something that's fundamentally perfect: i.e. GOOGL and AAPL. You can't trust a lot of these companies man. If they don't have a crazy amount of cash on their books, you gotta be careful. And even then who knows, i.e. IBM.

Would be hilarious if this turns out to be another GTAT. I'm sure that's on the back of many of HIMX bulls' minds.

HIMX is in a better financial situation than GTAT. I think this reaction may be a little too much. Morning washout, higher lows is what I'm looking for tomorrow for a trade. After the big red candle on 10/13 that should be a signal to get out if long but hindsight is 20/20. Today's volume is suspect though, screaming insider trading :smh:

Good point Wiz. Not as much debt as GTATQ.

DDD down a few bucks looks like on bad earnings? This company loves putting out chatter before announcing bad news. Read a takeover rumor yesterday lol. SSYS seems like the best 1 in this sector but it's really just a hype driven sector. If the markets hot these could run but if not its a chop fest.

Nailed a really nice FB short this morning. My problem's been being too patient, but today I took the quick scalp at the open and if there's a downtrend setting up, I could always add back in and look for that bigger move then. That's how I'm gonna try and do this from now on. Take the scalp at the open and then let a trend set up. Whether it's a long or short scalp, and once there's a trend, I could be patient for that bigger move.

Looking like a great cover :pimp:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom