OFFICIAL STOCK MARKET & ECONOMY THREAD VOL. SCHOOL'S OUT

Gold miners :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x

RIP.

Last edited:
What's a good place for a newb to start getting informed? I've always been interested in making my money work for me....

Just point me in a direction because I can't keep up with this thread and the verbiage being used in here :lol:

What's a good place for a newb to start getting informed? I've always been interested in making my money work for me....

Just point me in a direction because I can't keep up with this thread and the verbiage being used in here :lol:
When it comes to the stock market, you work for your money, not the other way around. Anyone selling you promises of quick and easy money is a conman. You need to learn your timeframe. Do you want to buy and hold for years plus, do you want to swing trade with an average time frame of three days to a few weeks or months, do you want to day trade and be cash every night?

Just know the overall market will always rule over your stock. If the market is tanking, regardless of how fundamentally perfect your stock is, it'll tank with it.

The stock market is designed to take your money. The only way any of us get paid is by taking money from each other. You go out there thinking your money is going to work for you, that you'll easily make money, you'll lose most of it. Sure, you could get lucky buying and holding something long enough, but more often than not, unless your fundamental analysis was spot on and you bought at the perfect entry level, you'll sit there flat, in the red or green slightly.

Check out investopedia.com for the terms you may not understand. If you want to day trade, check out InvestorsLive's Textbook Trading DVD. It'll save you money in the long run if you go out there each day and sling size without a plan or clue. Contact him on Twitter @InvestorsLive if you're interested in buying his second DVD as well, he may be willing to give you a better price on the bundle.

If you want to invest, you need to learn fundamental analysis. To me, you still need to learn technical analysis since yeah, you could have the right fundamental idea, but if you bought a stock at the wrong price level, you could see it work against you for months before it works in your favor.

Avoid adding to a losing position to get your cost down. It's one thing if your plan from the get go is to nibble and add at a lower price, but most people that start off will buy a stock at $30, add when it hits 25, add when it hits 20, go all in at 15 and wind up cutting it off for a horrendous loss at 10.

William O'Neill's How To Make Money in Stocks is a good book for those learning
I recommend Jesse Livermore's How To Trade Stocks as well.

If you're looking to learn options or the ichimoku cloud, I highly implore you to join KeeneOnTheMarket.com for a few months. There's no one better to learn options from than him and his team. He's a former market maker, and I've learned a ton personally from him these past few months.
Investors Underground has also been very helpful on my journey (InvestorsLive's chatroom), but if you're going to join that, you'll basically need the DVDs to learn how they trade.

Learning and using candlesticks is very important. Steve Nison's Japanese Candlesticks book has been spoken of well. I personally haven't read it yet.

All in all, I'd spend 3 months to a year paper trading before I would put any real money in the market. 90% of retail traders fail in their first 18 months. I've blown up, guys in here have blown up, in order to avoid blowing up, develop the positive habits from the get go is imperative. Learn how to trade without your emotions getting involved. Take the time using the simulator so you could se yourself failing and learn from your mistakes without losing your hard-earned money and taking the emotional and psychological hit.

Check out @mrockrulez on twitter and read the whole timeline. Modern Rock is a professional that made a million in a day once off FNMA. Read every tweet he wrote on that account and ask him questions if need be on his other account @modern_rock

The stock market doesn't care about you. The stock market is always right, you're the one that's periodically wrong. Always use a stop and manage your risk. Don't buy stocks that are extended out of fear that you'll miss the move. Everything comes back to Earth in time.

The more you immerse yourself in technical analysis, the more you'll learn and the better you'll get. Treat every stock like it's a piece of **** and you'll have longevity. Never fall in love with any company because these companies don't give a **** about you (i.e. GTAT). Never listen to the talking heads on TV since most of them are morons with no skin in the game. Learn how to create a plan, follow it and manage your risk. Trading is like boxing, you're gonna get hit in the face, you're gonna get knocked down, the key is to keep your losses small so they don't consume your gains. I personally am a day trader, it works best for me, and when I day trade, I'm usually willing to risk ten cents per share to make thirty cents to a dollar plus. If you're not getting at least 3-1 on a trade, it usually isn't worth your time. You also never want to put yourself in a position for blow out risk.

This summer an institution bought 250,000 NOK August 9 calls. The stock traded around 7.50 at the time. I put 5 grand into it thinking this guy knew what he was doing, i mean come on, he's risking three million here. Few months went by and they expired worthless. No one cares about you or your money but yourself. Always do what's in your best interest and avoid getting emotional. If you have a plan, if you know you're risk, you'll have no reason to ever be afraid.

If you're trading options, just know the last thirty days until expiration have the highest theta (time decay) and if there isn't intrinsic value, there's a good chance they'll go to zero.

Last edited:
picked up some AAPL shares, wish I would've jumped in when it pulled back to $106 (my target was $105 :smh: )

watching TSLA, if it regains the 200DMA i may consider jumping back in. anybody have positions in TSLA?

some good books to read on psychology/emotion

Been mad busy with my new job and I haven't read this thread in a minute! I haven't been trading heavily these days but I did put a large amount of my money in $AAPL since they dipped towards the end of 2014. Hope everyone is doing well and let me know your opinions on $FB, I might add more funds soon to buy shares... just not sure when but I am pretty sure I am! They look like a great stock to have in a portfolio... and great return..

Just got the Robinhood App, any tips or good places to research what to look for when buying stocks? I was mainly gonna focus on buying Tech company stocks since that is an area I`m into and maybe Nike Stocks.

Ive been out of this thread for a while but any of you guys get in on MGT on the past couple of days

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom