OFFICIAL Syracuse Orange Thread: 19-13; NIT-bound

:smokin
smokin.gif
i'm white. since that matters....I'm moving up in the shoe game at break-neck speed...

Courtesy of suathletics.com
Quote:
SYRACUSE, N.Y. Fans will get their first live look at the Oranges highly-touted freshman class on Sunday, Nov. 4 when Syracuse tips off its 2007-08 campaign with an exhibition against the College of Saint Rose. Tip time is 2:00 p.m. at the Carrier Dome.

Two members of the Oranges rookie class have already impressed BIG EAST coaches as Jonny Flynn (Niagara Fall, N.Y.) and Donte Greene (Baltimore, Md.) were selected as co-Preseason Rookies of the Year by the conferences court bosses. Flynn and Greene both represented the United States and at the 2007 FIBA U-19 World Championship coached by DePauls Jerry Wainwright. The duo leads a group of six newcomers to the SU roster.

Junior guard Eric Devendorf (Bay Hill, Mich.) was also recognized by the leagues coaches at Media Day as he was elected to the preseason all-conference team. Devendorf averaged 14.8 points per game last season and scored in double figures 26 times, including 13-of-16 BIG EAST contests. He, and senior point guard Josh Wright (Utica, N.Y.), will mentor a young Orange backcourt, which also features Philadelphia freshman Scoop Jardine.

Up front, sophomore forward Paul Harris (Niagara Falls, N.Y.) brings his 7.1 rebounds-per-game average back to the mix. Harris played in 35 games last year and is the clubs top returning rebounder.

The SU frontcourt will be fortified by the return of Arinze Onuaku (Lanham, Md.) from injury. He missed all last year rehabbing from knee surgery. Onuaku didnt play many minutes in 2005-06, his first season, but he appeared in 29 games and made his mark as a fearless rebounder. In addition to Greene, freshmen Rick Jackson (Philadelphia, Pa.), Sean Williams (Villa Park, Calif.) and junior college transfer Kristof Ongenaet (Ghent Belgium) will each make their SU debuts Sunday.

Syracuse was 24-11 overall in 2006-07 and advanced to the third round of the NIT. It was the 29th time the Orange posted a 20-win season under Hall-of-Fame coach Jim Boeheim, who begins his 32nd year as head coach at his alma mater.

Division II College of Saint Rose is located in Albany, N.Y. The Golden Knights posted a record of 22-10 last season and return three starters from a team that advanced to the second round of the NCAA Tournament. Reigning Northeast-10 Player of the Year Steve Dagostino averaged 17.0 points per game last year and is a preseason first-team All-American this season. Forward Shanty Robinson scored in double figures 18 times in 2006-07 and averaged 10.0 points and 6.0 rebounds per game. Will Monica was the only player to start all of 32 games a season ago. He hit 50 3-pointers and scored 9.2 points per outing.

Saint Rose is coached by Brian Beaury, who is entering his 22nd year at the helm. He has 467 career victories and has guided the team to 10 NCAA bids in the 16 years since the school joined the Division II ranks
8)
glasses.gif
ers. He has looked sharp in two exhibition victories, averaging 17.5 points and shooting 62 percent (13 of 21). Coach Rick Pitino has been left gushing: "He's taking good shots and playing good defense. He's playing brilliant basketball."

F Jeff Adrien, Connecticut, Jr., 6-7, 243
Adrien is the model of consistency. He never scored less than six points in a game last season (which he did twice) or more than 20 (which he did once). He had at least seven rebounds in 29 of 31 games, but never more than 16. He averaged nearly a double-double (13.1 points, 9.7 rebounds), and that's pretty much what he gave Jim Calhoun every night. He had 15 double-doubles and his rebounding average ranked second in the Big East. Adrien has worked to improve his shooting range, but it's his athleticism, strength and work on the offensive glass that are the keys to his game.

Second team
G Eugene Harvey, Seton Hall, Soph., 6-0, 165
G Jerel McNeal, Marquette, Jr., 6-3, 200
G Eric Devendorf, Syracuse, Jr., 6-4, 178
C Kentrell Gransberry, USF, Sr., 6-9, 270
F Geoff McDermott, Providence, Jr., 6-8, 235

All-Freshman team
G Corey Fisher, Villanova, 6-1, 200
G Jonny Flynn, Syracuse, 6-0, 186
TEAM SYRACUSE ORANGE
07-08 Big East Champions
PSN ID: jhawkcuse​

Yeah i am excited for Sunday.

The one thing i always notice about the pre-season picks for all big east/ Freshman team is that they usually get 1 or 2 right.

I wouldn't be surprised if Devendorf makes 1st team or if he doesn't even get second team. I really do not know what to
expect from this years team, but i am really excited. :pimp:
pimp.gif

Team Cowboys
6-1.

Don't get how Greene isn't on the Freshmen team....

TEAM NJ NETS
Kidd. Carter. Jefferson.​

Quote:
College of Saint Rose
:pimp:
pimp.gif
HOYAS
"I told you last year that if I die and I can't go to heaven, then they can take my body back to Georgetown. Well, I'm here to tell you that I ain't dead yet."

^ ha ha not looking like it.

But our team this year is going to be nasty. Greene can eye fellas up. Flynn to Harris on the backboard!!

:pimp:
pimp.gif

Team Cowboys
6-1.

Syracuse Orange- 80
St. Rose- 71

My Take: Syracuse underestimated its opponent today. St. Rose came out to play today. They had nothing to lose and everything to gain from this game. This game could've quickly turned into another Michigan State Grand Valley State. The Orange patented 2-3 zone was inefficient today as St.Rose shot the ball well and had their way in the paint. The offense ran well today but had periods in which it was very stagnant. Free throw shooting was poor for both teams but if the Orange want to stay in games in an improved BE they must hit foul shots.

The freshman played well today with Donte Greene leading the way with 16 points, all in the first half. What scares me about Donte Greene is that the critics may be right about his physicality. He was very hesistant to post up in the paint on offense and on defense he played off of his man which led to St. Rose dominating the paint. Jonny Flynn was okay out on the court. Josh Wright will start the season like I said. Flynn is not ready, in my opinion, to start yet. In certain situations he looked a deer caught in the headlights. Antonio Jardine or "Scoop" played well today but also needs that experience.

Paul Harris must improve his jump shot. I don't know how many times this has to be said. Everytime he gets the ball on the wing or at the top of the key, I can't watch. Eric Devendorf's head wasn't in the game today. He had 14 pts. but the way he played you wouldn't have known. Too many passing errors and moments where he would hold the ball too long.

I honestly believe that they will improve. They have to they have no choice. I know it's only an exhibition game but they have to work on free throws and rebounding. Andy Rautins' shooting will be sorely missed this season.It's too early to tell but Flynn, Greene, Harris, Jardine and Devendorf will have to turn it up a notch this season or it will be a long couple of months.

Grades:
Offense- B+
Defense- C
Rebounding- D
Free Throws- C-

TEAM SYRACUSE ORANGE​
07-08 Big East Champions

I heard they're celebrating at St Rose...

Can you confirm Allen?
TEAM NJ NETS
Kidd. Carter. Jefferson.​

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
It's possible they are. They played really good today and could've easily stole this one if it wasn't for Devendorf's momentum shifting 4 point play.
TEAM SYRACUSE ORANGE​
07-08 Big East Champions

Henz, that figures :lol:
laugh.gif

Yall dudes stay with the RichYung :lol:
laugh.gif
HOYAS
"I told you last year that if I die and I can't go to heaven, then they can take my body back to Georgetown. Well, I'm here to tell you that I ain't dead yet."

Yeah i mean well get it together ( I hope).

I think we will defiantly lose some early games on the road. They are not battle tested and don't know what to expect.

Well see soon enough.
Team Cowboys
6-1.

The team ran like a well-oiled machine tonight. I mean it was LeMoyne but they dominated on both ends of the court. The only aspect that they need to work on is their free throws.

D. Greene- 26 pts
R. Jackson- 17 pts. 16 rebs.
J. Flynn- 15 pts 4 steals
E.Devendorf- 12 pts. 10 assts.
P. Harris- 8 pts. 9 rebs.
A. Onuaku- 11 pts.
A. Jardine- 6 pts.

TEAM SYRACUSE ORANGE​
07-08 Big East Champions

Siena game still in progress but...

-Flynn is the truth
-We gotta cut out the TO's
-Gotta rebound better
-Greene's GOTTA do more down low.
-We look like we will be fine with the 3pters even without Rautins. Flynn, Dorf and Greene will have no trouble knocking em down.

1-0

Sienna's Offense is def for real

Flynn- 28 pts(cuse freshmen record), 10/13 fgs, 6/7 3pters, 9 asts, 5 rebs
Dorf- 19 pts, 6/12 fgs, 3/7 3pters, 6 ast, 4 rebs, 2 stls
Harris- 14 pts, 15 rebs, 4 asts, 2 stls
Greene- 14 pts, 7 rebs, 5 blks
Onuaku- 12 pts, 6 rebs 2 blks
Jackson- 8 pts, 3 rebs (9 mins)

Now the offensive numbers look good and all but 23 TO's compared to Siena's 9 is just horrible.

Scoop was real good in his short time out there. We didn't really get to see Jardine. I thought Wright would get a lot of burn out there in these earlygames. Looks like he wont...

Onto FDU/St Joes tommorow on ESPN...

Just posted in the game thread. Didn't see this one. (Can we get a a "Syracuse" tag jrell?).

How did Donte look petey? Composed and playing within the offense? Or a lot of freelancing?

Well Flynn just stole the show. Greene didn't take too many shots and they were basically all from 3pt land when he did. We really don't need that fromhim. I'm not too worried about him though. Tonight was simply Flynn's night.

I told y'all my lil guy Johnny was gonna be a SAVAGE!!!! Mark my words he will be a go to player on this squad by mid-season if that... He got overshadowed by Juice, Pooh, and Gordon, but He's That Man
pimp.gif

Very disapointing game tonight but Flynn came through when it mattered and we got the W

Couple thoughts...

-Onuaku looks like he can really be big for us Down low. We really need that.
-Harris can't be the only one getting the boards.
-Boeheim is really riding the starters out basically all game. I'd like to see more Scoop as well as Jardine.
-Turnovers is the #1 problem. The Zone is also letting up too many open 3's. Jimmy gotta work on this.
-I expected the first few games to not be easy. These guys are all young. We look incredible at times. It's just going to take time. A loss or 2 might evenhelp be good for us.

Fordham up next.

How the hell is Harris killing the boards like that??
laugh.gif

I mean, I know son got some hops. But damn!

Back
Top Bottom