***Official Tattoo Thread: Inked-4-Life Vol.2***

I was suposed to have my final tattoo session on my half sleeve with a final touch-up here and there. but my artist was sick and she was running to the bathroom like every 10 minutes 
laugh.gif
. She indeed finished the tattoo minus the final touch-ups, which we will do in 2 weeks. She also charged me like 50 bucks for 1,5 hours (her rate is 125 per hour) for the inconvenience, so that was cool of her.
And here is a pic:

Fong if I do decide to stay with henry and my current idea, how do I convey this idea that I want a serious tattoo without sounding like a **** and pissing him off

I guess maybe bring in some examples of pics from the internet, books, etc. that convey your idea a little more. Tell him in depth how you want your tattoo to be wether it is full color, very detailed, hard outlines, a lot of shading or whatever. Also I guess stress that this is your first tattoo and how you want things to be fairly close to how you see it in your head. I am sure Henry has dealt with clients like you and wil try his best to meet your needs. Like I said...if all else fails, you can literally bail at the last minute but there is a chance you will lose the deposit.

I went about my tattoos in different ways and I don't think either of them really came out how I imagined. I think bottom line is to give him all your ideas but also give him creative freedom to really turn it into his style. That seems to always make the tattooer happy anyways and then they'll put in that extra effort to make it look dope.

Looks awesome man. Solid work. Only gripe is I woudda preferred more cherry blossoms around the middle/bottom of the tat. Theres an abundance up top and only 2 in the middle and bottom area.
Thanks man. I can see where you're coming from. Allow me to explain: The reason why the top is more filled is because it represents life and death. The top part stands for life which is represented by the blooming blossoms. Some are falling off to represent the death or 'the end' as time is slowly ticking away. That's why there is more on the top than the bottom. But I do agree that at first it seems like it might be too much on top. 
wink.gif
. I made the decison to give the artist all the artistic freedom, so that's what she came up with.

^^^What does the inside of your arm look like? Did the windbars get filled there?
On the inside of my arm I have a skull/rose morph tattoo, which was my first one. The bars kind of flow behind it. The bars connected to the skull will be touched up.

Last edited:
Sick. I think the tattoo is clean. I am even thinking about adding a different tattoo on the inner bicep. I feel like that is room I could utilize rather then having just wind bars. Good stuff.

He never IG my tattoo to my knowledge. He did post tons of other dragon tats after mine that all have the same look. Kind of odd how he doesn't switch it up.

This is mine from my own Instagram:

And some other one's he did:

dbc08f221b0d11e2***d22000a1fbcd5_7.jpg

And I was expecting this:

Last edited:
500 is supsect...unless its a homie tattoing you..the norm in nyc is 250- 300 per hour these days with competing top artists..A lot of nice tattoos in here..if any of you are in nyc go to the nyc tattoo convention this year in MAY 2013

I would assume that tattoo artist is just starting if he is charging something like that. I do know some friends that have some cheap tattoos that are decent.

This is a photo I took 5 years ago of my friend's tattoo and she got it for just $200 + $40 tip. I think she did it at dude's house and I think he wanted to bang her but still, the tattoo wasn't totally bad for the price.

6-months-5.jpg

And had to plug my cousin again. I am not even into hand tattoos but I thoguht it looked good.

2d0fa966677c11e28ac522000a9f141e_7.jpg

I just wanna get an idea of what artists are charging at various locales in the country... I saw 250-300 an hour in NYC? That's crazy to me. My artist who is doing my sleeve just gave himself a raise to 125/hr last year. He is one of the better artists in the area.

Last edited:
I just wanna get an idea of what artists are charging at various locales in the country... I saw 250-300 an hour in NYC? That's crazy to me. My artist who is doing my sleeve just gave himself a raise to 125/hr last year. He is one of the better artists in the area.

I would say that is a fair price. I've seen rates at about $125-180 an hour here in SF and only one place that charged $200 an hour by some guy in the Richmond District area. Some people work at a faster pace and some don't.

I shot this photo of my friend getting tattooed. I think the lady's rates were about a $125 an hour. She did work pretty fast and this tattoo cost about $350 with the tips and all (flower was colored in later and some more shading). It wasn't the greatest tattoo but again, that is a $350 tattoo as apposed to what I paid so far which is about $1400. Again, you do get what you pay for. Obviously the more hours, the more detail can be put to your tattoo.

Need to stay out of here, just makes me want to get my calf done and some more back work. Tattoos are not cheap, I learned that lesson the hard way, now that I am older I am paying to get the "cheap" ones covered up. Last one to do is my calf.

Im at $250 an hour and its obviously NOT cheap. Sucks but its on you forever.

And Fong, its def on his IG. Even named you saying "Thanks Jason".

Just curious..what do you think would be a decent tip for a 3-4 hour tattoo? I dont want to be cheap but I also dont want to go overboard...I never got a tattoo for more that 40 mins lol

so i was just browsing the forums and came upon this one.. thanks to whoever started this.. im in love with ink .. inked life till i drop..

Back
Top Bottom