Official The 2011 Masters Thread vol A tradition unlike any other

Tiger going the wrong way. Bogey at 11 after hitting his drive into the trees. +1 for the tourney. He then hit his drive on the 12th into a greenside bunker. He was able to get up and down for a par. The crucial 13th and 15th are coming up. Phil has started his round with a par.

Tiger going the wrong way. Bogey at 11 after hitting his drive into the trees. +1 for the tourney. He then hit his drive on the 12th into a greenside bunker. He was able to get up and down for a par. The crucial 13th and 15th are coming up. Phil has started his round with a par.

Originally Posted by Mister Friendly

Serious question.....Why is the Masters so special in terms of Golf tournaments?
It's like Wimbledon in Tennis or the Daytona 500 in NASCAR. It is no more valuable points wise (for the Fedex cup) than any of the other majors. It is the only major held at the same location each year, and over the years the ambiance and pagentry of Augusta National has made it the most prestigious golf tournament there is. That's really the best way I can put it.

Serious question.....Why is the Masters so special in terms of Golf tournaments?
It's like Wimbledon in Tennis or the Daytona 500 in NASCAR. It is no more valuable points wise (for the Fedex cup) than any of the other majors. It is the only major held at the same location each year, and over the years the ambiance and pagentry of Augusta National has made it the most prestigious golf tournament there is. That's really the best way I can put it.

Originally Posted by gottagitdemjs

Well put. It's also the first MAJOR tournament of the season. Meaning the first time all year that ALL the big dogs come out and swing it out in one week.

Well put. It's also the first MAJOR tournament of the season. Meaning the first time all year that ALL the big dogs come out and swing it out in one week.

Tiger with a couple birdies. Back to -1 through 15. McIlroy in the clubhouse at -7. He shot a 63 at St. Andrews last year and followed it up with an 80. That will definitely be running through his mind tomorrow.

Tiger with a couple birdies. Back to -1 through 15. McIlroy in the clubhouse at -7. He shot a 63 at St. Andrews last year and followed it up with an 80. That will definitely be running through his mind tomorrow.

Something to note....Tiger is using a heel shafted Nike Method putter. He's been testing it over the past year. This is the first time he's gone with it in a major instead of his old Scotty Cameron Newport 2 that he's used since 1996.

Something to note....Tiger is using a heel shafted Nike Method putter. He's been testing it over the past year. This is the first time he's gone with it in a major instead of his old Scotty Cameron Newport 2 that he's used since 1996.

he should toss that nike putter in the lake.
laugh.gif

I hate the Masters though - sure it's a great tournament to watch but it doesn't have anything like the history of some others - they made all that up.

It's just a stuffy, racist, sexist club with tons of cash who made up a tournament and invite who they want to play in it each year. Then they have their stupid little hut and their stupid little green jackets they like to dress up in. Everything I hate about golf all rolled into one.

The Open is still the best golf tournament in the world.

I hate the Masters though - sure it's a great tournament to watch but it doesn't have anything like the history of some others - they made all that up.

It's just a stuffy, racist, sexist club with tons of cash who made up a tournament and invite who they want to play in it each year. Then they have their stupid little hut and their stupid little green jackets they like to dress up in. Everything I hate about golf all rolled into one.

Tiger finishes at -1 for the first day. Pretty Tiger-like first round when it comes to the Masters, but it could have very well been a 68 or 69. McIlroy still the leader in the clubhouse. YE Yang at -5 through 13. Phil at -1 through 8. 

Tiger finishes at -1 for the first day. Pretty Tiger-like first round when it comes to the Masters, but it could have very well been a 68 or 69. McIlroy still the leader in the clubhouse. YE Yang at -5 through 13. Phil at -1 through 8. 

Originally Posted by kdawg

I agree with all of this.  I love watching major golf tournaments and would love to have the chance to play at Augusta, but everything that club stands for is what I hate about golf.  They have on their board of directors talking about trying to make golf more accessible and introduce it to younger kids, but yet their actions and the way they run their club totally contradict everything they have been saying
30t6p3b.gif
  I think the US Open and British Open are better tests at well, they are normally much tougher courses and set up much tougher.

Originally Posted by kdawg

I agree with all of this.  I love watching major golf tournaments and would love to have the chance to play at Augusta, but everything that club stands for is what I hate about golf.  They have on their board of directors talking about trying to make golf more accessible and introduce it to younger kids, but yet their actions and the way they run their club totally contradict everything they have been saying
30t6p3b.gif
  I think the US Open and British Open are better tests at well, they are normally much tougher courses and set up much tougher.

Back
Top Bottom