OFFICIAL THE WIRE THREAD.. ''The game is the game"

damn, i saw this thread back on the first page, thought we were getting a reboot. not remake, but same universe, just new stories.

just wishful thinking i suppose. :frown:
van Lathan was talking about ideas for a follow up to the wire..

and I think it was either him or someone on the pod who suggested if they were to do anything, it should start with avon getting out of jail

sooo you got Avon now in the cutty situation and how he deals with things
There was talk awhile back about them wanting to do a movie. Problem is that it would had to have been a prequel and it was concluded everyone looked too wash for them proceed with it looking believable :lol:

There was talk awhile back about them wanting to do a movie. Problem is that it would had to have been a prequel and it was concluded everyone looked too wash for them proceed with it looking believable :lol:

If they could pull off the Irishman they could probably do it :lol:

Seems wildly unnecessary though. I'd rather David Simon give another city a somewhat similar treatment. New story, new set of modern social problems, new characters.

If they could pull off the Irishman they could probably do it :lol:

Seems wildly unnecessary though. I'd rather David Simon give another city a somewhat similar treatment. New story, new set of modern social problems, new characters.

I think you can tie in a few of the old characters, but it should be the story of the current situation of things

obviously just given the nature of things a lot of the old characters don’t make sense

but depending on who they can get, you can work in some of the older characters

Something totally new would be exciting but with the aura the show earned during all these years would make it suffer from the comparison even if it would have been of quality

When you obtain the classic status, no more is to be said, and you better accept it and feel lucky of it, only imperfect things need to be continued, and I feel with 5 seasons with each one its propre theme, they said what they have to say (+ wasn't a huge fan of 3 and 5 because of its themes)

A lot of stuff percolating in the thread. Never noticed the thread title.

My west side ninja said it best.

An Avon sequel would be lit. But then you’d expect some of the old cast.

A lot of stuff percolating in the thread. Never noticed the thread title.

My west side ninja said it best.

An Avon sequel would be lit. But then you’d expect some of the old cast.
You could probably get away with it on the street level because realistically most of the street dudes would end up dead or in jail.

still need marlo to get smoked by michael
Why?

Marlo took a bid. Michael was the one catching the bodies. Just like Chris was. Live by the sword, die by the sword.

And obviously Marlo couldn’t follow the street path no more.

My issue with season two...is it appears the team is going high level...and then it shifts back to the street stuff again. In season five, they’re going after Marlo...when you got these greasy politicians (shhhhhhhhh________t) and the actual guys flooding the streets with the drugs and prostitutes.

Why?

Marlo took a bid. Michael was the one catching the bodies. Just like Chris was. Live by the sword, die by the sword.

And obviously Marlo couldn’t follow the street path no more.

My issue with season two...is it appears the team is going high level...and then it shifts back to the street stuff again. In season five, they’re going after Marlo...when you got these greasy politicians (shhhhhhhhh________t) and the actual guys flooding the streets with the drugs and prostitutes.
You catch the “high level” guys by busting the mid/lower level guys and hanging years over their head to get them to flip on the high level guys. They did exactly this by threatening Sergei with death row but the Greeks had already left the hotel by the time they got there. So now you’re back to square 1 and have to start all over again.... which leads you back to the streets where all the bodies are dropping.... which was always their primary (not only but primary) focus.

So? It's all connected. You can't have one angle without the other.
But the angle never really goes anywhere. We see the characters again later on. Smaller roles. And the police aren’t focused on it even though they’re targeting the street level (which just creates a power vacuum instead of addressing the root issue) and/or politicians.

Also that ridiculous story at the end. It really was a lame way to tie everything together. The whole journalism thing was like wha.

But the angle never really goes anywhere. We see the characters again later on. Smaller roles. And the police aren’t focused on it even though they’re targeting the street level (which just creates a power vacuum instead of addressing the root issue) and/or politicians.

Also that ridiculous story at the end. It really was a lame way to tie everything together. The whole journalism thing was like wha.

Yeah season 5 struggled.

Season 2 is damn near perfect though. Some of the best writing TV has seen. It doesn't go much further than what we watched because the ports are virtually dead, the Greeks are in the wind or locked up/dead. There was nothing really more to tell after the detail bricked on Vondas/The Greek. They tied up all their loose ends and went on the lam. Coming back to Bmore to set up shop again would have been difficult without their dock connections and it would have been suicide with all the heat they already had on them.

They did the season to link the traffickers to the streets and to shed some light on unions and the diminishing middle class. Simon and Burns have both been on record as saying the show is about Baltimore. You can't really have a show about Baltimore without that story. It sort of brings everything full circle.

It also appeared they were going high level and went back to the streets because they repeatedly got shaded by the feds who were only interested in terrorism. Not dead girls. Not drugs.

I guess my question...or retort would be why are the Greek and right hand in season 4 and 5?

We know they are Prop Joe’s connect. We also see once Marlo cuts Prop Joe and them out, they are still dealing with them.

And we can’t assume their human, drug and counterfeit trafficking ceased. It’s just not discussed or focused on.

Instead we waste time on McNulty engaging in hijinks or that weird journalism storyline (which oddly enough is probably ahead of it’s time).

The street guys are like Bodegas. Open and close. Revolving doors.Simple branches.

I guess my question...or retort would be why are the Greek and right hand in season 4 and 5?

Vondas came back in 4 because Omar and crew stole the shipment so in order to calm Marlo's suspicions that Joe and/or Cheese had a hand in it, Marlo needed a face to face to continue with the New Day Co-Op.

I vaguely remember the S5 Greek/Vondas scene. Basically telling Marlo he doesn't care who the connect is as long as they're taking in shipments. You have to remember this is 5 years after the port investigation ended.

And we can’t assume their human, drug and counterfeit trafficking ceased. It’s just not discussed or focused on.

True, but one of themes of the show at least early on was that the Baltimore FBI didn't GAF about anything other than terrorism or La Cosa Nostra. They have a very limited role in any of the investigations unless the detail needed technology or once they learned about corrupt unions. They reiterate this several times. "Drugs don't play."

Instead we waste time on McNulty engaging in hijinks or that weird journalism storyline (which oddly enough is probably ahead of it’s time).

Yeah again, I'm not caping for S5. It had it's good moments but compared to 1-4 it was a let down.

Last edited:
I get your point about it being street level (police).

And yeah, multiple attempts were made to work with the FBI. We kept getting the terrorism and white collar crime line.

Wire is awesome. Tight probably not in the delivery of the story. And this analysis is all retrospective.

Back
Top Bottom