OFFICIAL TRAVEL GUIDE: JAPAN

It will be my first time there so I am def excited for it. Where do you like checking out in Japan?
That is awesome, I hope you enjoy the trip. Go in with a clear mind and no expectations other than it being awesome and you will love it. 

In my travels thus far. Kyoto is still I think my favorite city followed very closely by Hiroshima. I definitely suggest going there and spending the day visiting the Peace Park which is free if you have the time. The city is not only gorgeous but the energy there, though heavy, is really uplifting once you get acclimated to it and face what history is there. If you and your girlfriend are sensitive, I would suggest skipping the Memorial Museum however. It proved too difficult for me to get even a quarter of the way through. 

As far as places I make sure to visit, I love hiking Fushimi Inari in Kyoto. The Torii gate walkway leading up makes you feel transported to another time, similar to walking in the bamboo forest of Arashiyama. And the view is breathtaking towards the top, it is not for the faint of heart though. It is not uncommon to see people turn back part way up because the altitude can get you tired quickly. Bring water and comfy shoes. I am a sucker for being in nature these days, so anything outdoors I will always make time to do.

I am a practicing member of Shinnyo-en Buddhism, so Yuon and Shinso-ji in Osaka and Tokyo respectively are wonderful places I head back to to spend some spiritual time to myself or with my family. 

It sounds like a waste, but go see a movie in Japan. It is a really cool experience ( I was a film major so the film nerd in me was geeked to finally do so). There are various Toho Theater Complex's over the country and the Aeon chain of malls usually has a theater as well. Be warned it is quite expensive to see a film in Japan (around 1800 yen, or about 18 dollars) and that is just tickets. They do have pretty cool food items that are uniquely Japanese for the theater and they sell cool theater only film related souvenirs inside so you could pick up a memento while you wait to be let in. 

If you dig stickers or buttons, you have to check out B-side Label. It is one of the coolest stores I have been in, I could spend hours and hundreds of dollars in there. wall to wall stickers and buttons. I have been to the Teramachi location in Kyoto and I go out of my way to visit and spend some when I do. They also have various styles of stickers available at Village Vanguard's all over (think Spencer's, Hot Topic, and Borders but way more awesome) and each city has exclusive sticker styles. In Osaka they have Hanshin Tiger (a local baseball team) and Tako (octopus) theme ones because Osaka is known for those. Oh and Rumiko Takahashi's character, Lum. Takahashi hails from the city. 

Sorry, I could talk forever about Japan and never get tired of it. 

Last edited:

That is awesome, I hope you enjoy the trip. Go in with a clear mind and no expectations other than it being awesome and you will love it. 

In my travels thus far. Kyoto is still I think my favorite city followed very closely by Hiroshima. I definitely suggest going there and spending the day visiting the Peace Park which is free if you have the time. The city is not only gorgeous but the energy there, though heavy, is really uplifting once you get acclimated to it and face what history is there. If you and your girlfriend are sensitive, I would suggest skipping the Memorial Museum however. It proved too difficult for me to get even a quarter of the way through. 

As far as places I make sure to visit, I love hiking Fushimi Inari in Kyoto. The Torii gate walkway leading up makes you feel transported to another time, similar to walking in the bamboo forest of Arashiyama. And the view is breathtaking towards the top, it is not for the faint of heart though. It is not uncommon to see people turn back part way up because the altitude can get you tired quickly. Bring water and comfy shoes. I am a sucker for being in nature these days, so anything outdoors I will always make time to do.

I am a practicing member of Shinnyo-en Buddhism, so Yuon and Shinso-ji in Osaka and Tokyo respectively are wonderful places I head back to to spend some spiritual time to myself or with my family. 

It sounds like a waste, but go see a movie in Japan. It is a really cool experience ( I was a film major so the film nerd in me was geeked to finally do so). There are various Toho Theater Complex's over the country and the Aeon chain of malls usually has a theater as well. Be warned it is quite expensive to see a film in Japan (around 1800 yen, or about 18 dollars) and that is just tickets. They do have pretty cool food items that are uniquely Japanese for the theater and they sell cool theater only film related souvenirs inside so you could pick up a memento while you wait to be let in. 

If you dig stickers or buttons, you have to check out B-side Label. It is one of the coolest stores I have been in, I could spend hours and hundreds of dollars in there. wall to wall stickers and buttons. I have been to the Teramachi location in Kyoto and I go out of my way to visit and spend some when I do. They also have various styles of stickers available at Village Vanguard's all over (think Spencer's, Hot Topic, and Borders but way more awesome) and each city has exclusive sticker styles. In Osaka they have Hanshin Tiger (a local baseball team) and Tako (octopus) theme ones because Osaka is known for those. Oh and Rumiko Takahashi's character, Lum. Takahashi hails from the city. 

Sorry, I could talk forever about Japan and never get tired of it. 
Repped again. The movie and hike are good ideas, I will look more into the hike. I do want try to make it out to Hiroshima as well.

Eat some yakatori off a street cart in Okinawa.... #thegoods
Don't think I will make it out to Okinawa 
embarassed.gif

Repped again. The movie and hike are good ideas, I will look more into the hike. I do want try to make it out to Hiroshima as well.
Hiroshima is a great day trip, just make it while you are in either Osaka or Kyoto. Less time to/from. From Tokyo it is a killer. While in Hiroshima try to get to Miyajima as well. The shrine there is amazing and in the right weather, it is one of the most peaceful places I have ever been. 

in Osaka, this is the Okonomiyaki place I recommend: http://www.yukarichan.co.jp/menu.html

Okinawa seems really awesome, haven't made my way there yet but the food is amazing I hear. 

Was listening to Japanese Audio Wrestling Podcast and WH Park mentioned this

A capsule hotel (カプセルホテル? kapuseru hoteru), also known as a pod hotel, is a type of hotel developed in Japan that features a large number of extremely small "rooms" (capsules) intended to provide cheap, basic overnight accommodation for guests who do not require or cannot afford the services offered by more conventional hotels.

Has anyone used these before?
View media item 2459858

Was listening to Japanese Audio Wrestling Podcast and WH Park mentioned this
Has anyone used these before?
Had a friend who did a year back. She said they are actually way roomier than one would  expect. Some would pose issues though if you have tattoos since it is a public bath/shower facility (so that is me out) but Said super cheap, pretty comfortable, and decent wifi. 

I want to just for the experience, but long term, it doesn't seem very plausible. AirBnB is so cheap now there that it seems the go to option right behind internet cafes. I have seen some really depressing docs on the people who live in them full time. 

i think i used ninja wifi. had it sent to my hotel and i ended up dropping it back off at the airport. i'll never go back to navigating my way around japan without google maps ever again.

i used softbank global. i wanted to get the sim only, but they wer saying that renting the device is actually more cheaper. i didnt even get insurance on the device, which will they offer too. i think i paid around 900Y a day. you really have to get one.

Thank God im a govt contractor and have access to the military hotels lmao cuz that pod hotel is a no. Look up the New Sanno hotel only $68/night for Military/DoD people, if you can't get into the NS take a look at Yakota AFB only $60/night further away but hey you can't beat the price.

I live in Japan now for work and will be here for 3 years.

Also ATT has an international plan that is $10/day . I used that when I first got here.

Last edited:
anyone else gonna be there? wanted to go when its not summer hot but also not winter cold. cant stand the heat

I wanna make a .1 day trip to Kyoto... anyone know the best/easiest way to get there?

I studied Japanese for a year in college and joint was brutal. Class was Mon-Fri for 2 hours so best believe bunch of stuff is now drilled in my head. hopefully it pays off 
laugh.gif

Last edited:

anyone else gonna be there? wanted to go when its not summer hot but also not winter cold. cant stand the heat

I wanna make a .1 day trip to Kyoto... anyone know the best/easiest way to get there?

I studied Japanese for a year in college and joint was brutal. Class was Mon-Fri for 2 hours so best believe bunch of stuff is now drilled in my head. hopefully it pays off 
laugh.gif
Saving up to take the plunge hopefully I can get the funds before the prices go All the Way Up. will PM if so. Either way GooD LUCK!

I studied Japanese for a year in college and joint was brutal. Class was Mon-Fri for 2 hours so best believe bunch of stuff is now drilled in my head. hopefully it pays off.

Saving up to take the plunge hopefully I can get the funds before the prices go All the Way Up. will PM if so. Either way GooD LUCK!
You won't regret it. 

Make sure you use apple maps to navigate the train system, google maps is trash and will have you lost .

You won't regret it. 
I know I wont. Been on a 2 year strike out streak but this year got all my ponies lined up. Even though it will only be a week I am so exicted to go!

I will probably be there around December-January. Its gonna be crazy but I dont want to wait anymore.

I know I wont. Been on a 2 year strike out streak but this year got all my ponies lined up. Even though it will only be a week I am so exicted to go!

I will probably be there around December-January. Its gonna be crazy but I dont want to wait anymore
Have you game planned what you want to do each day? I would if I were you because you just don't have enough time to dilly dally. 1 week is really pushing it. Hell, I spent a month there in March and I still haven't checked off the long long list of stuff I want to do.

I am looking at going in December as well to visit family for new years/holidays. If you are around I am down to hang. 

Back
Top Bottom