Official Umar Johnson Thread

I mainly listen to podcasts in my car. But when I have my daughter, I play the radio. There’s the top 100 station, which is mostly benign. But the “urban” stations is where there are some songs I deem questionable to play in front of her.

I grew up listening to hip hop in the 80s, where it was diverse. But post Uncle Luke, NWA, and East Coast drug/murder rap (Mobb Deep, Lost Boys, Nas to an extent, etc), stations began “favoring” that music more, where it’s the norm not the exception. During that mid 90s to early 2000s rap, there were groups like Outkast, Goodie Mob, Talib Kweli, Mos Def, Pharaoh Monch, MF Doom, etc but besides Big Boi and Andre that music didn’t deliver commercial success. As the South exploded with party and trap music, G-Unit dominated the charts…the demand (from white audiences) cemented back pack rap being the exception and not the standard (yes yes, Black Eye Peas, Kanye West, etc).

So it’s moreso the gatekeepers pushing this sure win violent, misogynistic, toxic music on us. Kind of like Chinese food, Crack, Liquor stores in the hood.

No one is dismissing post slavery, Jim Crowe/segregation, post Civil Rights, 90s crime bill, police brutality, etc.

It’s just the control of the music and art form we created.

Who are these gatekeepers?

Like I said…. There are PLENTY different genres and types of music. R&B, Jazz, soul, pop, etc…..

New AND OLD. Some of y’all choose to listen to rap all day. I’m a hip hop head to the core. I don’t even listen to rap everyday.

No one is forcing you all (not directing that any specific person). People choose to play rap with their kids all day. That’s a choice. You have control over what you play around your kids.

If all a parent plays around their child is rap, that’s on the PARENT! If you as a parent, allow your kids to sit on social media all day (which again, is full of raunch and nudity, POSTED by adults) that’s on them.

Rap is not the only genre that exists. Again, Smith and Wesson guns > hip hop

Heckler and Koch, Barretta, Colt, etc have killed more people than rap ever will.

It’s amazing how gun manufacturers just skate off without any blame.

Adults who don’t know anything about the craft of music, is why rap is like it is. Talentless individuals, who are hyped up by other adults, is the causation…..

Show me where dude is ANYWHERE on Jada’s level as a emcee…. Jada still GREW up in and around hip hop. Jadakiss is black so he’s already tied in with a genre that WE created….

You’re comparing an obvious white poser kid to Jadakiss’….
Hip hop and the struggle of blacks preceded Jadakiss. Yeah, his pops had a great job. People have different circumstances.

If Jada HAD to be of the streets, I’m sure he blended in well. That white kid? :lol: :lol: :lol:

There’s a difference between “hood” and “street” Jadakiss falls within those parameters….

There’s tons of streets dudes, rappers, that come from decent homes

Last edited:
The same country that tried to censor Uncle Luke and put 2 Live Crew in jail for their music and images, now every woman wants to shake her behind on TV/SM…or be half naked.

Black musicians literally were persecuted. Serene Williams got persecuted for wearing a cat suit. Now hip hop which, always showed women with voluptuousness… is being promoted and copied globally? Can’t have it both ways.

NFL half time shows with hip hop…. White women dancing with the LSU football players in the White House… it’s hypocritical

“Get the gat”… in the White House, with a white lady….

Last edited:
Oh I seeeee what type of guy you are. You think everyone that’s from a good home is soft or won’t get busy… but that every person in the streets is “about that life”? I get you.

I mean there are exceptions to every rule but how can we make generalizations about entire populations based upon a few exceptions?

Oh I seeeee what type of guy you are. You think everyone that’s from a good home is soft or won’t get busy… but that every person in the streets is “about that life”? I get you.

That's how my post registers in your mind?

Word? :lol: :lol::smh:

Moving along.

We won't see these young folks get the same attention as the "mainstream" of today.

We all know why Fam.

Last edited:
That's how my post registers in your mind?

Word? :lol: :lol::smh:

Moving along.

We won't see these young guys get the same attention as the "mainstream" of today.

We all know why Fam.

It’s your CHOICE to listen to mainstream hip hop. It’s a choice bro. As I’ve said, there’s a plethora of amazing musicians out here. Past and present. All genres.

Everyone has a different pallet. I’m not going to complain about something, but continue to indulge in it. Especially music.

It’s your CHOICE to listen to mainstream hip hop. It’s a choice bro. As I’ve said, there’s a plethora of amazing musicians out here. Past and present. All genres.

Everyone has a different pallet. I’m not going to complain about something, but continue to indulge in it. Especially music.

Of course, it's a choice if you are an adult.

A kid? Not so much. Nowhere near mature enough to know better.

That's where parents come in.

But nobody wants to talk about that part. Too busy trying to ice skate uphill.

Besides - That's not the point of the discussion from what I gathered.

The point of the discussion is how the mainstream is saturated with death drugs and destruction and who suffers and benefits from the cultural conditioning / social engineering.

If you don't believe it's planned to be like that then cool.

We can agree to disagree however, neither of us can afford to argue with the results.

I think it’s more of a reverence for the legends. I think it’s better now. But still an issue (see 21 Savage on Nas).

Whereas other genres revere old acts like Prince, MJ, Elton John, Guns and Roses, etc. Its like it always has to be youthful and always what’s new.

Hip hop artists have shortest life expectancy of all genres even though "it's not the most violent".

I mean young black men have a short life expectancy. I feel like we are all stating the obvious here. There are far more violent forms of entertainment/media out there. This is delving into the videogames cause mass shootings territory. :lol: The only thing that correlates strongly with these behaviors is socioeconomic.

I mean young black men have a short life expectancy. I feel like we are all stating the obvious here. There are far more violent forms of entertainment/media out there. This is delving into the videogames caude mass shootings territory. :lol:
I have no idea what you are stating most of the time to be honest. What forms of entertainment are more violent? Why don't their performers dies at a higher rate than hip hop artists.

Hip hop/rap isnt even the most violent form of music out there. #HAMMERSMASHEDFACE :lol:
Hey man! The singer of the classic Hammer Smashed Face, Corpsegrinder, lead singer of Cannibal Corpse is a kind hearted soul.
LmpwZw

Death Metal Headbang GIF by Metal Blade Records

I have no idea what you are stating most of the time to be honest. What forms of entertainment are more violent? Why don't their performers dies at a higher rate than hip hop artists.

They dont die at a higher rate than hip hop artists because hip hop artists are predominantly black males many of whom come from poverty. My point is if you take the music out crime and violence will still exist.

There are far more overtly violent genres of music out there. Other violent forms of entertainment include movies, snuff films, hell even some sports are violent as f.

Blaming entertainment for societal issues has always been copout.

Hey man! The singer of the classic Hammer Smashed Face, Corpsegrinder, lead singer of Cannibal Corpse is a kind hearted soul.
LmpwZw

Death Metal Headbang GIF by Metal Blade Records

Yea i know a lot of this music is supposed to be more satirical than anything. They arent out here actually disemboweling prostitutes. :lol: Wypipo tried to blame them for their bad *** kids.

Back
Top Bottom